Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do they Rev at the NCT test

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

this came up the other day here so asked while at the test centre last night.

petrol cars registered before 1994 - only the idle emmissions are checked.

Petrol cars after 1994 are revved to ~2500RPM

All deisel cars get revved up to the red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

ouch... in the North's MOT, they removed that rev test for diesel motors due to engines blowing up (not having been revved so badly in all their life until they were taken for test)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I had an argument with the NCT crowd the last time I brought my Golf TDi into them on this very subject as I don't believe it's good for the engine. They claimed they only rev within the manufacturers guidelines or some such bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I didnt like the fact that my car was left in D with the handbrake on durign parts of the test. I was watchign from the window.

Dont think I'll be so keen to get it NCT'd next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How strict is the emmissions test? Do they make alowances for turbo cars etc.. or is it just the same figure for all? I have to test my car soon and thats the only thing I'm really worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭homerjk

I didnt like the fact that my car was left in D with the handbrake on durign parts of the test. I was watchign from the window.

Dont think I'll be so keen to get it NCT'd next time round.

Tell me about it. They broke the bonnet on my golf there last week.
    Yer man dropped it and instead of closing fully it caught onto the lever in the grill so that it was in the same state as when you "pop the hood". So instead of pulling the lever again and closing it harder, yer man proceeded to bounce on the bonnet until it closed!!:eek: Now it wont open at all!

I failed the test and he was waffling about what I failed on so I forgot to mention it at the time, it was only when I got home that I realized that the lever in the grill now does nothing when its popped out, it seems detached from whatever it was attached to, it just comes out and the bonnet stays in that locked state. And I have my re-test next week! I'd love to leave it like and say well you left it that way you can fix it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement