Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike theft in cork?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi, I'm living and working in cork now, and just wondering is the much bike stealing done? I've seen a good few quality bike that wouldn't last minutes in dublin locked to lamp posts, but I am just wondering in general is there much thiefery here? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

In cork we could say we have a better quality of theif. But we can't.

The opportunists still exists. However it the majority of trade in stolen bike occurs when a very small group that are not local to the area, drive in with good size van and go on a one day blitz. exit stage left with a good stash.

the bikes are then offloaded at fares, auctions, car boot sales etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Give watercourse road garda station a ring and ask them,this is where any recoveried stolen bikes end up.I see alot of damaged bikes around,wheels kicked in and that still locked to a lamp post etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, in general, I tend to be more worried about damage to the bike, more than anything else.. There'd be a lot of people around who'd kick about your rims through jealousy or whatever else. I've got a new BRIGHT orange racer with disc brakes, and looks flash, so it's an obvious target, so if you stick with something subtle and stylish you'd be grand, I reckon.. Something nice and light with good, but not obvious specs..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

My brother left a bike chained outside the bus station in the city centre for 3 days and it was still untouched when he got back to Cork. So he thought it would be OK to leave it for 1 more night and got a taxi home, but the following day it was gone. Still, lasting 3 days in the city centre is good going by most cities standards I'd say.

Advertisement