Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does your gf/bf need to be veggie too?

• 11-01-2007 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hello,
    I just wanted to see if ppl had any specific views on this topic. As veggies or vegans, do you think it's important to search out a potential wife/husband (or whatever) that shares your particular view on the subject?
    Could you spend your life with someone who ate meat most days a week? Would you end up thinking about it anytime you kissed them ;) ?

I'm long time veggie and giving-it-a-go vegan, but I cant decide how I feel on the topic! :confused:

I was just wondering what other's views and experiences were?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I didn't turn veggie until after I met my gf. I dunno, I definately would prefer my girlfriend to be veggie, but I guess you're really narrowing down your options if you decide to only go out with veggies!

I wouldn't really mind as long as I don't have to taste animal fat off her when I'm kissing her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

In essence i have no problem with it, but in practice...that's a bit different...it's not nice at all when you go to kiss them and they taste like ham or whatever, it would be a bit different to people who turned veggie but having been one all me life like, when a woman tastes like meat it kinda makes me wanna get sick. It would be a lot easier if she was a vegetarian alright, but id never choose whether or not to go out with someone judging by whether they were or not.

Having had both meat eaters and veggies as girlfriends i gotta say that if i did have a choice it would be vegetarians all the way, but if you like someone you like someone, even if that means you gotta say "Dear, don't forget to brush your teeth before you kiss me unless you want me vomiting in your mouth." after every meal.

and Vegetarian women, in my experience, taste better all over...if you get me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 viggi-tea

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hmm, interesting. Its true that if you were gonna stick to vegetarians, you would probably be single A LOT :p ! And it would be a strange reason to not go out with someone, if you clicked about everything else...

But at the same time, when you've decided to dedicate yourself to something you feel passionately about, it would be strange to not be able to share that important part of your life with the most important person! Its just pretty important to me...

I've never experienced post-meal meaty kissing-thank the lord. But the thought does sicken me! Hmm, I'm gonna acknowledge, but quickly move on from your bodily tastes comment Magnum Force :) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

This is a really interesting dilemma!

In an ideal world, yes I would like my bf to be vegetarian/vegan but I wouldn't not go out with somebody because they ate meat. Thinking about tasting meat when kissing somebody makes me feel sick, but in reality it has never actually happened to me, despite kissing lots of meat-eaters! None of my bfs have been veggie but I would find being vegetarian a very attractive plus in any men I meet. Unfortunately I don't know any male vegetarians. :(

A few years ago a vegetarian girl finished with my cousin after a few dates when she found out he was a butcher. I'm not sure I would go that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

This is one of those questions where the answer depends on the reasons why the person is vegetarian in the first place. If they are vegetarian, but don't get a gross-out reaction from meat, then I guess it's not a big problem (apart from the practicalities of finding somewhere to eat that both people are happy with etc.).

• Advertisement

Peanut wrote:
    This is one of those questions where the answer depends on the reasons why the person is vegetarian in the first place.

Thats a good point, I guess if your a veggie for health reasons, or reasons other than ethics, it really wouldnt matter as much...

nando wrote:
    None of my bfs have been veggie but I would find being vegetarian a very attractive plus in any men I meet. Unfortunately I don't know any male vegetarians. :(

I share the same frustrating fate! I hear Vegetarian males travel in packs :D . But it is a very attractive trait in a guy...
    nando wrote:
    A few years ago a vegetarian girl finished with my cousin after a few dates when she found out he was a butcher. I'm not sure I would go that far.

Thats a pretty strange situation. Jeez, I wouldnt know what to do...

When I was single,I would write off a meateater who I wasn't madly attracted to, but I would have given a Veg* who I wasn't remotely attracted to a chance.

In the end I don't think love has to do with ideals, or preconceptions.I know plenty of people who say that they only want to date rich or educated or preety men but If your really attracted to someone you can't help it and you can't deny it.Because your biology is reveling in getting a chance to work its mojo.And your obsessed meateater or not.

Now that have I meateater Bf it doesn't bother me as much as you might think.
    As long as he respects my choice I'm happy and will extend him the same courtesy.I keep a mental record in my head and he only gets kissed if I know he hasn't been eating meat or has brushed his teeth.But honestly don't most of us brush our teeth when we know there is a possibility of a kiss anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 feelthegrease

nando wrote:

well if i found out a girl i was seeing chopped up animals for money, i think id finish with her. but i am a veggie for ethical reasons...
    viggi-tea wrote:
    I share the same frustrating fate! I hear Vegetarian males travel in packs :D .

ha, you might be right, most of my mates are veggies....gotta stick together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

ahhhh yes, difficult question. i do think that when you find out a guy is a veggie too it is a HUGE turn on. this was one factor in deciding to go out with my current bf and we get on fabulously well ;)

of course you can't ignore your body's desires for a guy which you know nothing about, but i do think that it would be important when seeing if your personalities 'click'. obviously, if you were both vegetarian, it already shows a good connection. and i'd say if your views/reasons for being vegetatarian aren't shared by your other half, it's going to be a difficult relationship!

good post topic by the by; looking forward to hearing more views on the topic :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't mind, I know which I prefer though.
    I have had only one vegetarian/vegan girlfriend. Maybe she will be the best one!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Wow, interesting.

My wife is veggie. I eat meat on a daily basis and have no ethical problems with it at all. It's never been a problem. I respect her choice not to eat meat, and she repects my choice to eat meat.

We both cook, although I probably enjoy cooking (and eating) more than she does :) Generally, we have the same meal. I have a meat version, she has a veggie version. We don't try to convert each other because we both know it would never happen.

I have to say I find it funny that so many veggies are saying that they would not date someone who ate meat. I doubt there are many meat eaters who would refuse to date a veggie. Refusing to date someone because they don't share your views somehow seems a little strange to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

rs wrote:
    Refusing to date someone because they don't share your views somehow seems a little strange to me.
    It don't think it's very strange at all, you could think of lots of other examples where people with opposing strongly held views would clearly not get along with each other. Well then again they might :) But still it's understandable.

Advertisement