Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soc for non-students in UCD?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    A friend moved to across the road from UCD, and was wondering if there was any soc's/clubs in UCD open to non-students? She has a large intrest in Warhammer, knows the rules, and has a few of the model figure things herself. She also is inerested in the rpg D&D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well one of the guys that uses this forum,het field, is in DIT but he's still auditor or something of the pd's so afaik theres no rules against non UCD students getting involved in a society. TBH it would be very difficult to set up this warhammer soc if you werent a member of UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Try Gamesoc: www.ucd.ie/gamesoc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

AFAIK Het-feld is in his year of grace Panda. Thats different than some randomer who wants to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Gamesoc would be the place to go alright. I doubt they'd flat out reject her if she's into WAarhammer or whatever. She may not be able to officially join if she isn't a student, but surely they wouldn't mind if she went along to some of their events (I don't know what events they actually do, but I assume they have gaming nights or whatever?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I dunno if the soc rules are the same for those for clubs but they can throw out members that are not students and you also need your student number to join them. I do know friends in CIT that joined a society in UCD and a girl that was in secondary school that joined the trampoline club in UCC so go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

http://gamesoc.netsoc.ucd.ie/forum/

When it starts working again tell her to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

While non-students usually can't join, they're usually more than welcome to attend events and join in, although they may not have as many privileges as members, understandably. In relation to game playing, I'd be very surprised if GameSoc had members interested in playing and then turned someone who wasn't a member away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Gamesocs current secretary graduated last year, doubt we'd turn someone away for not being a student. I'd suggest your friend go along to a coffee morning, they're thursdays at 12, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's actually in every constitution afaik, well it's in the base one that the SU gives out, that any past student of UCD is allowed to join any society in UCD. We indeed have it in our one. Hence why past students are allowed be on committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ah right, that explains that then. Still don't think the OPs friend would be turned away though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement