Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoofers in the premiership

• 11-01-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭

Having watched a couple of matches lately I wanted to start a thread to 'out' spoofers (thanks to Eamonn Dunphy). These are essentially people who following the lead of Winston Bogarde who have signed long term contracts getting paid thousands per week and can't be arsed to make an effort, basically taken supporters hard earned cash and offering little in return. Two sprang to mind over the weekend Milan Barros and Jerzy Dudek I'm sure there is more out there, other possible candidates Shevchenko, Silvestre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How can you put Dudek into that? The guy got dropped for the season after he won the Champions League for Liverpool. I'd hardly call him a 'spoofer'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont think your other two candidates fit the bill either.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I think the Bogarde case is a case in the extreme. There are not many siuations that fall into his league, due to this you may very well call him a "spoofer" but there is a unique set of circumstances. However i dont think some of the others you mentioned could be put in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hasselbaink most certainly is this season.

eirebhoy wrote:
    ah I dunno, maybe its an act but he seems to be trying on the field and getting rather upset when things dont go his way. What about Viduka and SWP?

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:

Unfair shout...

I wouldnt put him the Bogarde boat either. His record up until his transfer to Charlton has been good. His form could have more to do with the turmoil at club - Dowie Out, Reed Out and the midfield havent exactly being creating many chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Trilla wrote:
    ah I dunno, maybe its an act but he seems to be trying on the field and getting rather upset when things dont go his way. What about Viduka and SWP?
    I mentioned JFH because he's a rich **** and chose the money of Charlton over silverware at Celtic. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/5101904.stm

eirebhoy wrote:
    ...over silverware at Celtic. :)

ah we're doing fine without him :D

Trilla wrote:

Viduka seems to have patchy interest but when he turns up he plays hard. SWP tries hard but its not working out for him at Chelsea and I dont think thats all his fault. Its not like he is given many chances of any continuity. If he was offer another club I think he would job at the chance to leave. Seems to me that all he wants to do if plpay football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

OK Bogarde's is an extreme case but as for Dudek I think he wanted away and no one came in for him or matched his wages so why not stay and earn 000's he was dreadful against Arsenal. Shevchenko and Silvestre are just maybe overrated, but there doesn't seem to be many disagreeing about Barros. I'm looking for players who basically don't seem to be making much of an effort for their team but are quite happy to take the huge wages on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

patmac wrote:
    OK Bogarde's is an extreme case but as for Dudek I think he wanted away and no one came in for him or matched his wages so why not stay and earn 000's he was dreadful against Arsenal. Shevchenko and Silvestre are just maybe overrated, but there doesn't seem to be many disagreeing about Barros. I'm looking for players who basically don't seem to be making much of an effort for their team but are quite happy to take the huge wages on offer.
    Baros has had a few injuries this year. As far as I remember he actually scored about 15 goals last year for a struggling Villa side. He's not done too bad.

Carson went out on loan and Kirkland was sold, so to be honest Dudek was hardly for sale seeing as there was only one other keeper at the club. He'll be gone in the Summer though.

I'm sure Shevchenko is as pissed with his form as any Chelsea fan. I'd say he'd give anything to be banging them in for them.

Silvestre just isn't good enough to hold down a place in the United first XI. And he's only really lost his place this season. It's got to do with ability not desire.

As Jivin Tukey said ..

There are small number of players who really fit the title "spoofers" - the only one who springs to mind is Thomas Brolin at Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ali Dia is surely King of the Spoofers. The fcuker claimed to be an international when in reality he would have found it hard pressed to get on my local pub team. Poor old Graham Souness was made look a mug over that debacle.

sundula wrote:
    As Jivin Tukey said ..
    There are small number of players who really fit the title "spoofers" - the only one who springs to mind is Thomas Brolin at Leeds.

his partner Dahlin springs to mind too!

Trilla wrote:
    his partner Dahlin springs to mind too!

Agreed

Just looking up Ali Dia there and came across this list of top 10 Foreign Failures. Had forgotten about Harrys Howlers for West Ham. Radiciou and Dani indeed!
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/toptens/story/0,14034,1078421,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Didn't Radiciou's time at West Ham make him a quiz answer though?

Baliban for Villa, though we're kinda taking the thread down a slightly different route

seansouth wrote:
    Didn't Radiciou's time at West Ham make him a quiz answer though?
    What was the question? Don't think I've heard this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Harry Kewell.

That is all.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote:
    Baliban for Villa, though we're kinda taking the thread down a slightly different route
    "We're" meaning Pighead! Guilty as charged. Got a bit carried away in the land of Nostalgia. On Topic eh Reo Coker.

Name a player who has played in the top 5 leagues in Europe, I think.

It's a bit objective, I'll grant you that.

England, Italy, Spain, France and Germany are the ones, AFAIR.

edit : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_R%C4%83ducioiu

Them's the countries alright.

Pighead wrote:
    6 Brian Pinas

A member of a select group of players capable of inspiring an entry in The Sun Says by the power of their name alone - Stefan Kuntz, Celta Vigo's Turdo and Sparta Prague's Milan Fukal wait their turn - Dutch winger Pinas survived 12 months in Newcastle's reserves before returning, broken, to Feyenoord. Greeted on his arrival in August 1998 by the Sun's editorial ('Pity soccer star Brian Pinas. The first time a referee takes his name he'll get sent off for using foul language'),
    LOL, You could add Raphael Shiite to that and this list as well. Radiciou wasn't the only Romanian who was an answer to a quiz question so waas Dan Petrescu now what was that question?
    Back on topic what were the managers thinking of especially Graham and Soueness in regards to Dahlin and ali dhia.

patmac wrote:
    Back on topic what were the managers thinking of especially Graham and Soueness in regards to Dahlin and ali dhia.

Roy Hodgeson signed Dahlin, it was well before Souness's time.

Apologies I meant Brolin.

patmac wrote:
    Radiciou wasn't the only Romanian who was an answer to a quiz question so waas Dan Petrescu now what was that question?
    What footballer looks like Fox Mulder?

What footballer has the same surname as a TV programme (Pet Rescue).

patmac wrote:
    Apologies I meant Brolin.

George Graham has that honour i believe

sundula wrote:
    George Graham has that honour i believe
    What's in a name eh I said Graham and Soueness a strange coincedence!

• Advertisement

:) Sorry, I thought you were give Graham(Graeme) Souness full credit for the Swedish Super stars.

Although if you could cross the football minds of Graham(george) and Souness one could only imagine what possible transfer targets the Hybrid Manager could identify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

u have to wonder how well some managers did out of making the big money deals for these spoofers!! mark bosnich at man utd is another one(although i think he was a free transfer?)!! but he seemed to really enjoy his spoof time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Baros isnt a spoofer, he does a lot of runnign and puts in the effort. He's just a poor player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

seansouth wrote:
    What footballer looks like Fox Mulder?

Dan Petrescu.

On topic - Titus Bramble

A lot of examples given here, Bramble, Hasselbaink etc do not fit the bill. Bramble for example, might not be a very good player, but that doesnt mean he's deliberately not putting in effort and playing badly. He's just not up to the standard and makes too many mistakes.

Stekelly wrote:
    A lot of examples given here, Bramble, Hasselbaink etc do not fit the bill. Bramble for example, might not be a very good player, but that doesnt mean he's deliberately not putting in effort and playing badly. He's just not up to the standard and makes too many mistakes.

I agree, thats the point I was making earlier. This thread is looking for highly paid (arent they all) players who dont put in any effort and are clearly motivated by cash as oppose to poor players who demonstrate effort but lack ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It has to be the fat Ukrainian, Andriy Shevchenko this season.

It has to be the fat Ukrainian, Andriy Shevchenko this season.

Hardly fat http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1597/andriyshevchenko3es.jpg

Plus again, he's not standing in the middle of the pitch doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Andy O'Brien
    Stephen Carr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

My number one choice would be Eric Djemba-Djemba. Although I have to be honest I'm not even sure he's at Villa anymore?

Also, based on undoubted talent I'd have to go for the following:

Franny Jeffers(Blackburn) - but, to be fair to him he has had a few injuries.

Dennis Rommedahl(Charlton): wasn't going to include him because he plays every week, but he never looks like he's trying given the almost unrivalled pace he has.

Gaizka Mendieta('Boro): has also had some injuries, but this guy was one of Europes best midfielders at Valencia. Now he's a 'boro reserve!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Newcastle are surely the kings when it comes to getting lumped with these sort of wasters. Albert Luque anyone? On big money and doing funk all for it.

Come to think of it, I can't think what Duffer is doing to justify his hefty wages either. Not much that I can see. Maybe it's just a Newcastle thing. Don't know why DD went there, much as I don't like Liverpool, it would have been a better move for him if he went to Anfield.

But Harry Kewell has been (in the last couple of years) imo the prime example of a 'show me the money' footballer just going through the motions. Happy to sit in the stand nursing his broken fingernail while collecting probably 40K per week for his 'efforts'.

Zenden also springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kewell has had septic arthritis infection and was lucky not to loose bits of his anatomy, his CL final injury was also a nasty one, so if you don't know don't speak.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

aidan24326 wrote:
    Newcastle are surely the kings when it comes to getting lumped with these sort of wasters. Albert Luque anyone? On big money and doing funk all for it.

Come to think of it, I can't think what Duffer is doing to justify his hefty wages either. Not much that I can see. Maybe it's just a Newcastle thing. Don't know why DD went there, much as I don't like Liverpool, it would have been a better move for him if he went to Anfield.

But Harry Kewell has been (in the last couple of years) imo the prime example of a 'show me the money' footballer just going through the motions. Happy to sit in the stand nursing his broken fingernail while collecting probably 40K per week for his 'efforts'.

Zenden also springs to mind.

This has gone way over your head hasnt it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Keiron "Absolutely" Dyer

Keiron "Absolutely" Dyer

So because a guy has injury problems he's a spoofer? Come on will ya.

Keiron "Absolutely" Dyer

So because a guy has injury problems he's a spoofer? Come on will ya. Dyer has been in great from lately and could be inline for an England call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what about salif diao? Chance to move to charlton(obviously has a big wage drop) but shock, horror he fails the medical.

On loan at stoke now, with Pool still paying his hefty wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I can't believe Ballack hasn't been mentioned.

JPA wrote:
    I can't believe Ballack hasn't been mentioned.

Why? Chelsea got a player who had proved himself in the Bundesliga, in Europe and on the international stage.

1998 Bundesliga.. Champions (FC Kaiserslautern)
    2003 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2005 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2006 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2003 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2005 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2006 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2002 World Cup Finalists (Germany)
    2002 Champions League Finals (Bayer Leverkusen)
    2002 Finaliste of la German Cup.. (Bayer Leverkusen)

Where's the spoof?

Oh yeah, and he was free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Xavi6 wrote:
    Why? Chelsea got a player who had proved himself in the Bundesliga, in Europe and on the international stage.

1998 Bundesliga.. Champions (FC Kaiserslautern)
    2003 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2005 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2006 Bundesliga.. Champions (Bayern Munich)
    2003 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2005 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2006 German Cup.. winner (Bayern Munich)
    2002 World Cup Finalists (Germany)
    2002 Champions League Finals (Bayer Leverkusen)
    2002 Finaliste of la German Cup.. (Bayer Leverkusen)

Where's the spoof?

Oh yeah, and he was free.

Well the definition of the spoofer is someone who's raking in thousands and not really putting in the effort. He's on £200,000 a week. I think Ballack is a spoofer this season. I'm not talking about past seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Pierre Van Hooijdonk at forest. (what a cool name by the way!)

Stan Collymore?

• Advertisement
Advertisement