Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spoofers in the premiership

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Stephen Carr.

Disgusting lack of effort on some occasions, cant believe he had the cheek to retire from international football at one stage to 'concentrate' on his club football. The epitome of a lazy Newcastle defender.

I despise him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Stephen Carr.

Disgusting lack of effort on some occasions, cant believe he had the cheek to retire from international football at one stage to 'concentrate' on his club football. The epitome of a lazy Newcastle defender.

I despise him.

Here here, he has to be my most hated footballer in a long time.

Biggest spoofer in the English Premiership has to be Rafa Benitez though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lorenzo Amoruso while he was at Blackburn. Souness had him on a colossal wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what about salif diao? Chance to move to charlton(obviously has a big wage drop) but shock, horror he fails the medical.

On loan at stoke now, with Pool still paying his hefty wage.

Dont forget him rejecting a move to Recreativo as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mart Poom as an International goalkeeper not even getting a sniff of a first team game at Arsenal is a bit of a disgrace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I think Jeffers is the best example so far of a spoofer.

A big money move, plenty of other clubs, and the guy has scored about 20 league goals in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

S.M.B. wrote:
    Mart Poom as an International goalkeeper not even getting a sniff of a first team game at Arsenal is a bit of a disgrace!
    Now that you mention it, Geremi seems delighted with his squad place at Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Marcelino, centre-back for Newcastle.
    He used to play for Real Mallorca and looked very impressive in the UEFA Cup

I seem to remember he had an injured hand and took the whole season.
    It was a few years ago so my facts may be wrong

Bobby Robson called him a waster or some equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

So here is the team so far:
    1. Dudek
    2.Carr 3.Mendieta 4.Amureuso 5.Marcelino
    6.Penas 7.Kewell 8.Dahlin 9.Radiciou
    10.Van Hoojdonk 11. Brolin
    Subs: Poom, Diao, Dia. Collymore

Lots of money in wages and transfer fees there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

What no Bogarde ?? He should be captain of the Spoofer United. Unless of course i true fashion he couldnt be bother showing up.

patmac wrote:
    So here is the team so far:
    1. Dudek
    2.Carr 3.Mendieta 4.Amureuso 5.Marcelino
    6.Penas 7.Kewell 8.Dahlin 9.Radiciou
    10.Van Hoojdonk 11. Brolin
    Subs: Poom, Diao, Dia. Collymore

Lots of money in wages and transfer fees there.
    For a start, Van Hooijdonk played about 10 times in the Premiership before Forest were relegated, he then whalloped in 35 odd goals in the First Division before walking out on the club because not only did they not strengthen after being promoted they sold off a load of the players that got them promoted. How is he a "spoofer"?

How is Dudek a "spoofer"? I know it's flavour of the month to bash him but let's be honest they guy has done nothing but try for Liverpool. He was even prepared to risk his WC chances to fight for his place following his CL heroics. He has been nothing but a servant to the club. Hardly there just to pick up his wage.

Mendieta was excellent for Boro whenever he was not injured. It's not his fault he is injury prone. Hardly a "spoofer".

Mart Poom? FFS the guy is 35 and was approached to become third choice keeper for one of the best teams in the country after having 8 odd successful years across a number of clubs. What do you expect him to do? Say no?

Mart Poom? FFS the guy is 35 and was approached to become third choice keeper for one of the best teams in the country after having 8 odd successful years across a number of clubs. What do you expect him to do? Say no?

Well if he wanted to actually play regular football, even at the age of 34, then he should of said no. I don't think Van der Sar would be at united if he was number 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Some of the players mentioned in here are miles off the mark of being spoofers.
    Anyway...

Nicky Barmby.
    Obi Mikel.
    Kluivert.
    Wayne Bridge (english reserve, chelsea reserve (maybe even 3rd choice), but he doesn't seem to be bothered about not playing...i wonder why$$$$$)

Am I on my own saying Geremi? :) He's the closest to Bogarde of all the names mentioned imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

micmclo wrote:
    Marcelino, centre-back for Newcastle.
    He used to play for Real Mallorca and looked very impressive in the UEFA Cup

I seem to remember he had an injured hand and took the whole season.
    It was a few years ago so my facts may be wrong

Bobby Robson called him a waster or some equivalent.

winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This has gone way over your head hasnt it?

er, how is that exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm still amazed at the whole Harry Kewell thing. The guy has an injury that is threatening both his career and his general way of life. How is he spoofing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

Carlo Cudicini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Cant believe no one has mentioned Duff. After winning a couple of medals he takes the easy option of moving to the toon and happily raking in the cash while having no pressure to perform in a mediocre team.

Agree also on the Kewell one. Have always thought he was the laziest player I have ever seen. Even when he was with Leeds I thought he was lazy. But then I think Ronaldo is lazy too. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

bucks73 wrote:
    Cant believe no one has mentioned Duff. After winning a couple of medals he takes the easy option of moving to the toon and happily raking in the cash while having no pressure to perform in a mediocre team.

Agree also on the Kewell one. Have always thought he was the laziest player I have ever seen. Even when he was with Leeds I thought he was lazy. But then I think Ronaldo is lazy too. ;)

They have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Surely it's a bit too early to be writing off Duff? He's been injured a lot this season and is currently still sidelined with a knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Passport wrote:
    They have.

Oops. Didnt see the post. :)

bucks73 wrote:

The easy option for Duff would of been to stay at Chelsea, win a few more medals and rake in the cash. Realistically he moved because he wanted first team football. Unfortunately he had to drop down a level and he has been plagued by injuries as he was before Chelsea bought him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Rio Ferdinand? If there wasnt so much money in the game I think he'd be 10 times the player he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

whoever said newcastle, i totally agree.
    anyone remember a certain lauren robert who could score from 30 yards, but couldnt be arsed to run anywhere?
    and the number of big signings they make that seem to go nowhere. yes, i understand there has been a lot of injuries, but it really does seem to be where wqshed up players go to get a nest egg.
    and then i think theres the old guard at real madrid. the likes of figo, beckham, ronaldo and zidane all playing on past glories, but not really contributing much.
    maschareno at wham as well. not sure what hes playing at, but its not football. its more like sulking.
    at spurs we used to have the glorious david gionala, king of the sulking and the big wages, and we currently have mido, king of the big wage and the not doing much at all.
    and im sure there are a few at chelsea who are there to play in the reserves and pick up a handsome paycheck every week.
    oh, and dont forget sol campbell, who couldnt be arsed to play anymore, and so left the stadium at half time.

S.M.B. wrote:
    The easy option for Duff would of been to stay at Chelsea, win a few more medals and rake in the cash. Realistically he moved because he wanted first team football. Unfortunately he had to drop down a level and he has been plagued by injuries as he was before Chelsea bought him.
    Exactly. I'd have a lot of credit for Geremi if he told Mourinho he wanted to leave. How anyone can even mention Duff I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

aidan24326 wrote:
    er, how is that exactly?

How is duff supposed to justify his hefty wages when he is injuried? I am not even going to go into the Harry kewell one.

Broken fingernail? Clarly you dont know anything about his situation. :rolleyes:

Also, how is Zenden a spoofer?

whoever said newcastle, i totally agree.
    anyone remember a certain lauren robert who could score from 30 yards, but couldnt be arsed to run anywhere?
    and the number of big signings they make that seem to go nowhere. yes, i understand there has been a lot of injuries, but it really does seem to be where wqshed up players go to get a nest egg.

I said it but apparently the whole thing went over my head.

I don't think any other club has made so many poor signings and had so many players on big money for doing sod all, with not a medal to show for any of it.

How is duff supposed to justify his hefty wages when he is injuried? I am not even going to go into the Harry kewell one.

Broken fingernail? Clarly you dont know anything about his situation. :rolleyes:

Also, how is Zenden a spoofer?

The problem with Duff is he's always bloody injured. You have to wonder about players who are constantly on the treatment table.

As for Kewell, I didn't realise his injury was as serious as that, but he has appeared lazy and disinterested over the last few years anyway, even when fit.

Zenden, I'm not sure if he qualifies as a spoofer, but he is certainly overrated and I'm not sure why Liverpool bought him.

And how about Beckham as the king of all spoofers? If ever a player was in it just for the money...

EDIT: sorry, Sven Goran Errikkson is the King of spoofers, with Beckham as his apprentice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

aidan24326 wrote:
    The problem with Duff is he's always bloody injured. You have to wonder about players who are constantly on the treatment table.

As for Kewell, I didn't realise his injury was as serious as that, but he has appeared lazy and disinterested over the last few years anyway, even when fit.

Zenden, I'm not sure if he qualifies as a spoofer, but he is certainly overrated and I'm not sure why Liverpool bought him.

So duff is deliberatly injuring himself so he wont have to play, or hes faking it? riiiiiight.

He was free and a decent squad player.

So duff is deliberatly injuring himself so he wont have to play, or hes faking it? riiiiiight.

He was free and a decent squad player.

I never said he's doing it on purpose but I just wonder why certain players always seem to be injured. Remember Darren Anderton, his nickname at spurs was sicknote.

S.M.B. wrote:
    Well if he wanted to actually play regular football, even at the age of 34, then he should of said no. I don't think Van der Sar would be at united if he was number 3.
    Mart Poom is a journey man footballer, VDS is not. That's the difference.

At 34 he has played football for 16 years, a move to Arsenal saw him pick up a CL silver medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

At 34 he has played football for 16 years, a move to Arsenal saw him pick up a CL silver medal.

Bit of a hollow victory tho isn't it? When his grandkids ask him what the highlight of his career was he can tell them "Getting a medal for never getting picked by a champions league final losing side! Silver comes right after gold don't ya know."

Mart Poom is a journey man footballer, VDS is not. That's the difference.

Whats the difference between a journey man footballer and your standard footballer? Van der Sar has been playing at a high level for 16 years? What difference does that make?

I don't see how anyone can make and argument for accepting a 3rd choice place even if its at one of the top 4 teams in the country. He is officially Estonia's greatest player. All that can be said now is that unofficially, he is the best 3rd choice goalkeeper in the Premiership.

sundula wrote:
    George Graham has that honour i believe

no actually howard wilkinson signed Brolin in Dec 95. Graham took over in Sept 96.

Carlo Cudicini didnt even make an effort to engineer a move elsewhere after Mourinho dropped him and despite all the talent he possesses he seems content on picking up big wages opposed to playing regularly.

EDIT: Whatever happened to Mario Jardel??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Isn't the dunphy definition of a spoofer someone who may look good to the casual observer but to a keen observer is exposed as not actually being very good?

I think Dunphy's choices of a spoofer are the likes of Cronaldo (his choice not mine, although he is backtracking a bit lately), Beckham and Rio Ferdinand.

These are not my choices but more of a definition of what a spoofer is, as Dunphy meant it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Didnt have the patience to go back through the whole thread but what about this dude...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

Sizzler wrote:
    Didnt have the patience to go back through the whole thread but what about this dude...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

He's mentioned on the first page! That's just pure laziness :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Xavi6 wrote:
    He's mentioned on the first page! That's just pure laziness :p

Doh :o

Peter Reid did the same at Sunderland I think :confused: Signed some player that was supposed to have come from the Greek league...he did...except it was division 3 ! Suffice to say it wasnt the best standard in the world lol

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

A lot of the West Ham team this year have decided not to put in the effort of the previous season. It's essentially the same team but they go to Reading and put in a performance like that( Reading 6 - West Ham 0).

I enjoyed watching West Ham play last year. The team was full of energy and enthusiasm put not this year.

Beckham of course. What a spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Prufrock wrote:
    A lot of the West Ham team this year have decided not to put in the effort of the previous season. It's essentially the same team but they go to Reading and put in a performance like that( Reading 6 - West Ham 0).

I enjoyed watching West Ham play last year. The team was full of energy and enthusiasm put not this year.

Beckham of course. What a spoofer.

Yeah what a disappointing career he has had, I bet he sits at home sometimes wondering where it all went wrong. After all he was only instrumental in his team winning a treble and countless other trophies then onto a Real Madrid team where he was always one of the best players every season he was there.

Vicente Matias Vuoso -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicente_Matias_Vuoso
    He left the club in June 2002 to sign with English club Manchester City, joining for 3.5 million pounds. However, Vuoso was quite unsuccessful with Manchester City, not appearing in a single game, and was loaned out to Santos Laguna for the 2003/04 season.

'Quite unsuccessful'? Biggest understatment ever. Such an waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

^Same school of football as Agusin Delgado and Bosko Balaban so. Spoofers of the highest order.

Though Ali Dia gets my vote.

gustavo wrote:
    Yeah what a disappointing career he has had, I bet he sits at home sometimes wondering where it all went wrong. After all he was only instrumental in his team winning a treble and countless other trophies

You think Beckham was instrumental in United winning the treble. He played his part but it was because of people like Keane, Scholes, Cole, Yorke and Schmeichel that United won the treble.
    gustavo wrote:
    then onto a Real Madrid team where he was always one of the best players every season he was there.

Really. That's why he was dropped. He was so good he was dropped from the starting 11. Hmm. Out of the nine matches Beckham started in this year Real lost seven. Might be a coincidence. Don't think he has scored over five goals in a season while at Real.

Beckham's contribution comes from crosses and free kicks. But he can hardly tackle, he's not the quickest and isn't the hardest working player on the planet. Not worth the money he is paid. Spoofer.

• Advertisement

Prufrock wrote:
    Beckham's contribution comes from crosses and free kicks. But he can hardly tackle, he's not the quickest and isn't the hardest working player on the planet. Not worth the money he is paid. Spoofer.

But everyone already knows this so if it's common knowledge where's the spoof?

Xavi6 wrote:
    But everyone already knows this so if it's common knowledge where's the spoof?

The money he is paid doesn't reflect his contribution to the team. That's where the spoof is. Also he was runner up in the world player of the year award twice. Explain that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Prufrock wrote:
    Also he was runner up in the world player of the year award twice. Explain that to me.
    Runner up in the treble season was fair enough, he was Man Utd's most creative and influential player that season (imo!).

kinaldo wrote:
    Runner up in the treble season was fair enough, he was Man Utd's most creative and influential player that season (imo!).

OK how about the second time.

Prufrock wrote:
    OK how about the second time.

Well 2001 was the year he helped England qualify for the World Cup in Korea and Japan. The goal against Greece is one of the best and most crucial I've seen and showed how the guy led by example when the pressure was on his team. Also won the Premiership with United in May of that year.

Either that or it was just a sh*t year seeing as Figo won it and Raul was third!

• Advertisement
Advertisement