Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I have problems renting

Options
  • 11-01-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I've just sold my place in the uk, I won't have any references from past landlords as I haven't had any.

I won't have the money from the sale when I come over to find and secure a place either but will have when I actually move in.

I will have enough for a deposit and about 3 months rent in advance when I come over to find and secure a place.

I won't have a job lined up either but can live off the money from the sale for a few years (hopefully I'll find a job before that!)

Will this be enough to reassure a letting agency?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yep, get your employer to write a cover letter for you

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

My current employer over here in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would have always gone with my gut ,

I ignored it once and paid dearly.

My spongy friend is write get a cover letter , and carry yourself well and you will be fine.

yep , ideally.

and do not close your UK bank account , you cannot geta credit card here for a year or two ...same with me if I go to the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sponge Bob wrote:
    yep , ideally.

and do not close your UK bank account , you cannot geta credit card here for a year or two ...same with me if I go to the UK

Hmm I will see if I could test this Sponge as I need to get a credit card soon enough.

• Advertisement

a uk person has no credit rating here and vice versa, bring a cc with you for the first year or two .

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Thanks that's good to know. I'll get my solicitor to write a letter too as well as my employer,

good idea Matt (must do the same if I goes to London :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Another reason to keep your UK credit card is the €40 per annum government levy on Irish credit cards. Try and get a letter of reference from your UK bank before you leave, something along the lines of "Mr Mattkid has been a valued customer of XXXbank for Y years etc.", which might help you get a current account set up here.
    Good luck with the move.

Advertisement