Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Web Sites Done Overseas

Options
  • 11-01-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I've been getting a lot of work recently setting up both basic and ecommerce web sites. I was toying with the idea of outsourcing some of them overseas to take some of the load off. I tried googling for companies in China and India but thought I'd ask here as well.
    Have any of you done this before?
    What was your experience?
    Are there any good companies that you could recommend?
    Many Thanks,
    Bearaman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

bearaman wrote:
    Hi All,
    I've been getting a lot of work recently setting up both basic and ecommerce web sites. I was toying with the idea of outsourcing some of them overseas to take some of the load off. I tried googling for companies in China and India but thought I'd ask here as well.
    Have any of you done this before?
    What was your experience?
    Are there any good companies that you could recommend?
    Many Thanks,
    Bearaman

You could try advertising on rentacoder or freelanceireland.

O29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I've used a offshore developers a few times and in all cases, they've been really difficult to manage.

The language barrier is what I find the most difficult - I would continue to outsource, but I've yet to find a reliable company.

So if anyone knows of some, I'd love to hear about it too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

i assume you are looking at outsourcing to very low cost countries (China and India) and make a killing ?

on the other hand if you are just 'looking to outsource' just to 'take some of the load off' try the US or ireland ?

in my experience (and ive been down this road quite a bit) what you get is what you pay for... after dealing with about 5-10 indians i hate to generalise but ive only found unreliable coders and not up to standard at all
    pay peanuts and get monkeys!

I have recently found 2 good people in greece, realitavely cheap (not as cheap as india) but i can count on them and they do quality work. (and before you guys ask no these guys are not available as ive loads of work for them over the comming weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭TestLink

I am working for an Irish Company managing all its outsourced software projects. For the first project we outsourced, I engaged in talks with companies from Ireland, UK, Belarus, China, Russia & India.

The company from Ireland quoted 500K while for the same work Chinese company quoted 20K and the Indian companies quoted between 35K - 200K. The companies from other countries quoted between 150K and 400K. These figures would certainly make you understand,why people are going for outsourcing...
    Many of the UK companies we dealt with, had their development centres in India. So the actual work was carried out in India while the sale was done from UK

So if you consider only cost you would go for China. But in my case i found the communication between the two entities quiet difficult. There was always an interpreter between me and the Software Engineers in China who knew only Chinese. After several attempts i realized that this is not going to work (When the Chinese improve their English language skills, it would be another case).

After 2 months of intense discussion with companies & a rigorous internal review we outsourced our project to an Indian software company. Now we are planning to outsource some of our back office works too to India.

Virtually anything can be outsourced to India now because of the immense educated human resource it has.

If you are outsourcing the development of a software to China, ensure that the actual people who do the work knows English, you visit their premises and explain your requirements and make sure that they understood what exactly you have in mind.
    {If it is just a website there might not be so much problems }

Discuss with several companies and bargain. you would certainly get a lower rate. If you go for a large company, your bargaining power would be less

East European companies are coming up fast . So it would also be good to have discussion with a couple of them and see the rates. If you get a suitable rate it would be better to outsource to them because of geographical proximity.

In my opinion to whoever you outsource one thing is important:
    1. Have a clear understanding of what you really want and state it in the SRS
    2. Have a dedicated person to deal with outsourcing who knows the ground conditions
    3. Study about the domain areas the company has dealt with previously
    4. If possible interview the project team
    5. Study about the financial stability of the company
    6. How many years the company is in business

Note:
    Some people may find even the term outsourcing irritating...But when there are only two options left - closing down the company or find a very cheap alternative, outsourcing might be the answer...

Advertisement