Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jumpin ship.

Options
  • 11-01-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Just wondering im living in ireland all my life but, i just feel like I need a new start, I have about 5k in savings and im thinking about moving to england, France, Sweden or Spain, I have family in Birmingham in england but no family in any of the other countries. Im just wondering is the money I have enough to get me settled, small place a my own or sharing with others and then look for a job.

If anyone has any exp of jumping ship to a foreign country please ANY advice would be appreciated.

forgot to add, im 21, 22 in july.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, better suited here me thinks. I moved to England for a while about 6 years ago for a couple of months and stayed with my aunt and uncle until I found my feet. I moved to the US last in April '05 and am happy. Maybe you could stay with your relatives in England for a while or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

Well I moved IRL from SA just on 6 years ago then one fine morning I decided that its time to move on and found my self in Wolverhampton in England (pretty much Birmingham at this stage) and all I can say is Birmingham would not be my first choice if I was to jump ship again.

I came back to IRL in May 2006 and been working away here happily (but my feet she is itching again)

5K should be enough to get you by for a month or two depending on the sort of life stile you will be enjoying while on you ship jumping. Plus if it’s only to keep you ticking over till you get a job you should be fine depending on the lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you move to a new country, don't get a place on your own. Gird your loins, and take a house share with at LEAST two other people. Choose people from your own age group and walk of life - sharing might be horrible for all the normal flat-share reasons, but it'll be one of your biggest sources of new friends. The second will be your job, especially if it's the sort of young-people-focused, non-career job that you get first when you go to a new country.

If you play a sport or have a hobby that can be all well and good for meeting new people, but you just don't want to be home alone if you're in a new country where you know nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Well I've been talking to a mate who lives in north shields Newcastle and he said its totally cool to kip with him for a month, and he will help me sort a job + place of my own, he actually said he would like to move so we are considering (depending how long it takes to get a job) of moving in together. I have a degree in comp science there is just **** all jobs around here also.

thanks for all your help guys.

Advertisement