Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Chaser

Options
  • 11-01-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm thinking of doing the chasing myself for a new build and am just wondering about the best place to purchase one. I have checked out ebay and there is one there for around €80 called Bigmaster. The Makitas are very expensive they are in the €300/400s catergory. Is it worth going for a cheap new one or a second hand one with a known name. Decisions decisions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

i hired one while a few years back, it had two disks, I assume thats what your referring to. Can't remeber the exact price but it wasn't too expensive, possibly get a good deal over a weekend. Buying something that you will use a few times is probably false enconomy. It's a dirty old job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭decrrrrrr

It's the most thankless job in the world and my advice would be to get somebody in to do it... I done it for two Summer's for my father (who was an electrician)

It cost me 350 euro last year to get a 2500 sq ft house chased and it was money well spent...

I know it's not the response that you were looking for though :)

Aldi had a 2 disc chaser for sale last year. My friend used it in his extension. He still had to use a cango to knock it out but it made the job alot easier.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Like Dubtom said - get a few quotes - and if you can measure the linear metre-age of chasing to be done.

this is how they will price it.
    2.1m for a low socket and 1.4 for a switch.

well worth checking out.
    it's a very hateful job.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

decrrrrrr wrote:
    It's the most thankless job in the world and my advice would be to get somebody in to do it... I done it for two Summer's for my father (who was an electrician)

It cost me 350 euro last year to get a 2500 sq ft house chased and it was money well spent...

I know it's not the response that you were looking for though :)

Aldi had a 2 disc chaser for sale last year. My friend used it in his extension. He still had to use a cango to knock it out but it made the job alot easier.

Good advice, chasing is probably the worst job i have ever had to do. Hire out a good unit, there is no point in buy one, cheap ones are junk and the more expensive ones will be of no further use to you when your finished. But the best advice is give the hardship to someone else. No fun breathing in concrete dust lugging around a chaser, kangoo and probably a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

karltimber.
    is there any reason (regulations, etc) that low sockets are chased from the ceiling down.. and not the floor up? which would be like 20cm...

taking older buildings where the sockets are in or on top of the skirting board. Provided they are there, wouldn't it make more sense to use those cables from underneath the floor?

Cause I'm thinking of doing this... move all my existing sockets up by a couple of inches.

WD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Agreed with all posted here. I did it for a few weeks - and it really is a horrid filthy job. Theres obviously a knack to it as I was slow as christmas in comparison to the guy I was working for.

For a one off, I definitely would recommend gettting someone in to do it. Even though I hated it, I did consider getting the kit myself and doing it as a sideline but when I found out how little they get, I quickly changed my mind. Don't understand why they're not charging more for such a dreadful job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the easiest way is with a good kango like a bosch (not too much vibration)and skip the wall chaser .i do a 3 bed semi in 2hrs with the bosch saves all the hooverig and lugging around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

arghh wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing the chasing myself for a new build and am just wondering about the best place to purchase one. I have checked out ebay and there is one there for around €80 called Bigmaster. The Makitas are very expensive they are in the €300/400s catergory. Is it worth going for a cheap new one or a second hand one with a known name. Decisions decisions
    buy cheap buy twice

i think they charge around five euro a chase the lads that do this full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

Thanks all, will get the professionels in to do it

Advertisement