Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham to join LA Galaxy

• 10-01-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Beeb football is reporting that he's out of there in the summer, according to the club's sporting director.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah Mijatovic just stated that there will not be a new contract offer from Real.
    Now I wonder what Beckham was holding out for....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Back to England or off to the States ?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

I'd love to see him back at Man U.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

St James Park for me. I reckon Fat Freddies on the phone as I type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

My money's on the States. Coming back to England would be a bit of a climb-down, as he'd be unlikely to get a place playing first-team football with one of the biggest clubs. Going to the States lets him go out to pasture gracefully, plus there'd probably be more opportunities for him and yer wan to work on the Beckham Brand over there, without the derision that they always face in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

what are the chances he doesnt decide on who he's gonna join until the summer, so he can keep his name in the papers everyday of the week with the sun having him joining every club on earth

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Dont know why they are waiting till the summer. They should get rid now. Over paid over rated and hopefully destined for the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Portsmouth!

Mike.

Neguya Grampus 8.

Home to England's golden boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He should go to Bolton. Only chance left for him to achieve something football-wise. If he's holding out for a starting place in a top four club in Italy or England, he's kidding himself.

His lack of pace won't be too much of a problem at Bolton, his crossing ability will be much apriciated and Sam Allerdyce will beat all the pomp of Real out of him and make him a mean old player.

Newcastle would be a good club for him but I can't see them doing brilliantly in the next couple of years and Beckham only has a couple. Bolton are almost there, signing Beckham could be the thing that encourages one or two other high profile players to the club and suddenly, it's a big 5 we're all talking about.

He could be great for Bolton, and Bolton could be great for his fotballing legacy.

• Advertisement

I see him at an American Soccer club earning major bucks for looking pretty. Sher he's best friends with Tom Cruise now dont u know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hmmm... 12 posts already and it hasn't descended into the usual "Sure he's a sh1te player anyway" vs. "What are you talking about? He's a living legend!!" stuff that you normally get whenever his name is mentioned.

I don't reckon he'll go back to England. As Stargal has already said, I reckon he'll be off to the States with the Stick to promote Brand Beckham.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I see him at an American Soccer club earning major bucks for looking pretty. Sher he's best friends with Tom Cruise now dont u know?

There is a salary cap in america so I cant see him making any were as near as much as he is making in Spain or he could earn in England.

He'd go over there to promote himself and maybe play some football on the side.

Inter Milan are getting rid of an old Real winger (well he's leaving) so I wonder would they be tempeted in replacing Figo with Becks (for me I'd rather keep Figo but a good crosser of the ball would go down well on the blue and black side of Milan)>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah...would have to say can see him making a move to the US........as said above to make more money by just turning up and being himself rather than his football skills.....which are limited.....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

There's a new rule now thougt in the MLS. Each club can have 1 'Special High Earner' player. I wouldn't be suprised to see him move out there.

Designated Player Rule (its even nicknamed the Beckham Rule).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

SofaKing wrote:
    There's a new rule now thougt in the MLS. Each club can have 1 'Special High Earner' player. I wouldn't be suprised to see him move out there.

Designated Player Rule (its even nicknamed the Beckham Rule).

Even with the Beckham Rule he still wouldnt be making as much as he could in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think money is much of an issue at this stage of his career.

Mike

mike65 wrote:
    I don't think money is much of an issue at this stage of his career.

Mike

But he is motivated by it (unless its to do with football). He is out there to make as much as he can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

kearnsr wrote:
    But he is motivated by it (unless its to do with football). He is out there to make as much as he can

He might not make as much in wages, but he'd certainly make more in sponsorship/endorsements than he would in Europe. Everyone with a clue in europe can see he's past his peak. In the US that wouldn't be an issue.

kearnsr wrote:

I don't understand why people have such a problem with him making money. If people are willing to pay large amounts he's hardly going to say no. Sports professionals get offered sponsorship contracts all the time - they'd be fools to turn them down really. He's only a few years left of playing and needs to think about his future post-playing.

It's just how football is today. Beckham is unfortunate in that he was the first of the big brand footballers. They're all at it now.

Jesus, Hargreaves even has his own website and now a column on BBC.

• Advertisement

Do you think that McClaren dropped him because of some personal problems that they had post Man Utd and Beckham's escalated departure or was it entirely motivated by Beckham's loss of form? It seemed a strange move to make to me, and seems to have been the catalyst in the downward spiral of Beckham's career. It would be a fairly major knock for england's golden boy to suddenly be left in the cold after Captaining his country through a world cup where his bad performances were masked by the abysmal performances of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

My money is on the arab region for a huge golden retirement fund! Altough I agree probably Bolton would be the best place for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Didn't Beckham support Spurs growing up? I think they'd be a good club for him if they shift Lennon out to the left or else play Beckham in the centre.

Stky10 wrote:
    He might not make as much in wages, but he'd certainly make more in sponsorship/endorsements than he would in Europe. Everyone with a clue in europe can see he's past his peak. In the US that wouldn't be an issue.

Well I think thats the point I was making.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with him making money. If people are willing to pay large amounts he's hardly going to say no. Sports professionals get offered sponsorship contracts all the time - they'd be fools to turn them down really. He's only a few years left of playing and needs to think about his future post-playing.

It's just how football is today. Beckham is unfortunate in that he was the first of the big brand footballers. They're all at it now.

Jesus, Hargreaves even has his own website and now a column on BBC.

I dont have a problem with him making money. But if your paying him to play football and he is out doing no football related things like trying to go to Tom Cruises wedding when you are meant to be at the clun recovering then I would have a problem with that. (he would've mad emoney with the publicity he would've gotten by going to the wedding)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

sundula wrote:
    over rated
    I don't see how he could be over-rated, he's been pretty much dismissed all his career now :rolleyes:

Anyone here who actually watchs La Liga (especially last year) will acknowledge that Beckham has been solid and commited to the Real cause. More than can be said for Cannavaro and Guti (both awful this season) and Ronaldo and Robinho (went clubbing the night before their recent match against Recreativo). The fact remains that his passing/crossing/set peice abilities are world class. I'd love to see him in Serie A, the slower pace and technical nature of the game would suit him immensely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

gosplan wrote:
    He should go to Bolton. Only chance left for him to achieve something football-wise. If he's holding out for a starting place in a top four club in Italy or England, he's kidding himself.

His lack of pace won't be too much of a problem at Bolton, his crossing ability will be much apriciated and Sam Allerdyce will beat all the pomp of Real out of him and make him a mean old player.

Newcastle would be a good club for him but I can't see them doing brilliantly in the next couple of years and Beckham only has a couple. Bolton are almost there, signing Beckham could be the thing that encourages one or two other high profile players to the club and suddenly, it's a big 5 we're all talking about.

He could be great for Bolton, and Bolton could be great for his fotballing legacy.

WTF Bolton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Beckham to Bolton......dream on, Becks is a quality player, Bolton isnt a quality side, the operate on a high output low skill mantra, why would becks want be linked with Big Sams Bolton? (effective yes but not pretty).
    ......anyways dont thinks Bolton even have a Gucci or Chanel shop so Posh definately wont be going there. :D

Chelsea is the place for a quality player like Becks.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&ev_class_id=115&id=2825&category=SOCCER

Well Paddys have LA Galaxy as favourites. Pigheads tenner is going on Newcastle purely because 100 is a nice round figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

WTF Bolton

I know you say that as the name Beckham is bigger than the name Bolton but I also believe that Bolton would be an ideal club (from a playing point of view). Think about it. They are not pass and move club they are a raking long ball and cross into the box club. Beckham could sit deep and play the Pirlo role and just spray the ball all over the park.

• Advertisement

Big market move today for LA Galaxy to sign Becks. 6/4 yesterday down to 2/5 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Beckham has said he won't play for another premiership club, and I think it's right. He is a United fan through and through, supported United his entire life afaik, his dad still has a season ticket, I can't imagine him ever being in the same league as United and playing against them, and I don't think he can either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

He will join LA Galaxy next season on a 5 year contract. Sky News are reporting that the deal is worth over $200 million to Beckham. Thats over £20 million a season:eek: It includes all image rights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Nunu wrote:
    He will join LA Galaxy next season on a 5 year contract. Sky News are reporting that the deal is worth over $200 million to Beckham. Thats over £20 million a season:eek: It includes all image rights etc.

If this is true I change my opinion on Becks, he is a f*cking genuis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/6248835.stm

David Beckham is to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal for MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy.

I'm not suprised to be honest, he usually does what she tells him
    ( posh spice )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sundula wrote:
    If this is true I change my opinion on Becks, he is a f*cking genuis.

good man mick! Course he's a genius. He always was. All this time most the world was laughing at him...he was laughing his ass off at us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm gutted, would have loved to seen him join one of the big European teams as i really think he can still do it.

not going to be seeing much of Becks play now....wonder how this will affect his England chances - can't see him getting back into the national team at all now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

directly below this thread, is this one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055039065

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The Beckham roadshow rolls on -- to where it belongs -- Hollywood -- its had nothing to do with football for a few years now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Best of Luck to him.
    Obviously money motivates him, no way will he ever play for england again.
    And he wasn't getting much of a sniff in the Real team either.

But i agree with PLarkin, i think he still has a lot to offer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The BBC say it's £128m which is $250m. Who's going to pay his wages? Surely the MLS won't and simple can't spend that on 1 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

eirebhoy wrote:
    Surely the MLS won't and simple can't spend that on 1 player.

weird setup out there anyways isnt it? in terms of how the wages are funded. serious amount of money has to be said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'm just doing the maths on this.....Sky Sports News saying he'll get in and around £28million a year. That's over £500,000 a week!
    i don't know how to react to this..so here's a few smileys: :confused: :mad: :( :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

He's getting £128m over 5 years according to the reports. That's a huge amount of money. Will that make him the highest payed player in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

One of the most over-rated players ever. Does playing in America mean he'll be a special teams player ? :) All he is good for is free kicks. Cant tackle, cant beat a player, jumps out of the way in the wall at a free kick and has no temperment at the best of times.

Is a model, not a footballer.

On the bright side, we probably wont have to look at as much of that ugly stick he calls his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

colster wrote:
    He's getting £128m over 5 years according to the reports. That's a huge amount of money. Will that make him the highest payed player in the world.
    That figure is laughable and pure nonsense.
    Thats $1m a week.
    He was earning €7m a year at Real Madrid so his new wage is 6 times that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Nunu wrote:
    I'm just doing the maths on this.....Sky Sports News saying he'll get in and around £28million a year. That's over £500,000 a week!
    i don't know how to react to this..so here's a few smileys: :confused: :mad: :( :eek: :D

Can you imagine how George Best is reacting --- a few turns in the grave today -- realising this 21st century imatator will earn 500k a week --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'd wait before calling it nonsense. Most sources are saying the deal is worth $250m. It might aswell be a sponsorship deal tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aldini98 wrote:
    One of the most over-rated players ever. Does playing in America mean he'll be a special teams player ? :) All he is good for is free kicks. Cant tackle, cant beat a player, jumps out of the way in the wall at a free kick and has no temperment at the best of times.
    Yay! It only took 41 posts but we got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Thats $1m a week.
    He was earning €7m a year at Real Madrid so his new wage is 6 times that.:rolleyes:

Well the BBC and others are speculating that he's going to get that amount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement