Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturing in Carlow DIT - how to join

• 11-01-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Going to be moving down to Carlow area in the next year and while I'm currently in the IT/Telco industry for over seven and a half years, I'd love to get a job as a college lecturer. I'm at the stage in my life when I'd like my work to mean something and it's becomming less and less like that, the more I stay in the industry.

I have two degrees (maths and Software engineering) and was wondering what it takes to become a lecturer there?

Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

From what i remember having chatted to a few Lectures there ya need to have a Masters. But if i'm correct they take into account your work experience and see if it's relevant. You can also do your Masters while lecturing. There isn't many jobs in the IT lecturing department but with your maths background ya will get class time doin that across many courses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Cheers for that Woody, might just contact them directly to see what the score is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

You do not neeed a Masters to lecture in the IT. A Hons. Degree will be accepted if you have experience in the field and teaching experience. You can gain teaching experience by lecturing an evening class the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Yes you will get away with a degree and relevant industry experience, however a masters is preferred by all departments. You will not get a permanent contract without a masters.

Sending in your CV isn't going to do a whole lot for you. What you need to do is next time there is a job advertised for which you are qualified apply. If all goes well you will be called for an interview. If you don't get the job you will (hopefully) be placed on a panel. This panel remains active for twelve months. If any vacancies come up in the twelve months they may pull from the existing panel rather than re-interviewing.

I'm not sure how things are in the computing department but from personal experience (and quite a few panels) they really look for teaching experience. Try to pick it up somewhere along the way, teaching nightcourses in the VEC (look out in the papers over the summer) is a good way to start. Be aware that permanent contracts are becoming as rare as hens teeth and the competition is huge. So if job security stability is a priority just consider what you want in the longterm,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭lynch_3001

i would ring the college(059-9170400) talk to the girls and they will tell you about what positions are available. they will also be able to put you on a mailing list. for maths you would make a great 1st year engineering maths lecturer,as anything is better than con doran, iand i think they are trying to get him out, but this is, of course said in confidance.
    i hope the girls there would help you out, they are ultra nice to me, so i would hope they would be to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

heh, way too much hassle! jsut collect the tokens in special packs of kellogs corn flakes and send away! thats how a few of the lecturers seem to have gotten their jobs! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Advertisement