Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Umpiring Course

• 11-01-2007 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Very late in the day, I know but if you want to learn the laws of cricket and how to umpire the Leinster Cricket Umpires and Scorers Association
    http://www.leinstercricketumpiresscorers.net/ are running a course starting tonight and running for the next few months (held in Clontarf CC). Unfortunately I can't attend as I'm unavailable on Thursday evenings but I've written to the association to see if they would consider running weekend courses which might be more suitable for some people. If a few more people would be interested in this option could you email Alan Tuffery through lcusa@eircom.net and perhaps they might be able to accomodate us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'd be very interested in this, but sadly, short notice and Thursdays are out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

at the end of last season i was all gung-ho to do this course then forgot all about it until earlier today when i checked their site, i was as sick as a small hospital when i found out it was starting tonight:( but give them a shout and if enough of us do maybe they'll arrange a couple of weekends for those that can't make the thursday evening classes. having winged it as an umpire the last couple of seasons i'd like to get some more knowledge and advice. with darrell hair gone now there's a vacancy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'm doing this course, and attended last night. It's very interesting, and promises to be a fun way of improving cricket knowledge over the next several weeks.

glad it's good, any chance you could annoy them into putting on a weekend course?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I'll certainly mention it to Alan.

• Advertisement

are there many doing the course? i play for laois (but work and live in dublin) and i know a few people from our club and ballyeighan would be interested in the weekend option.

dereko1969 wrote:
    are there many doing the course? i play for laois (but work and live in dublin) and i know a few people from our club and ballyeighan would be interested in the weekend option.

There's around 8 or so. I'll chat to Alan about the weekend option and get back to you

Lads,

I discussed this with Alan last night, and he said if they got sufficient numbers and suitable times he'd be delighted to run some sort of a course to facilitate you. The next step is to contact him directly, on the email in the first message on this thread.

HTH

HTH,
    thanks for that, i've already mentioned it to a few team-mates so hopefully we'll get enough interested so that it's worthwhile doing. bumped into a former team-mate at the weekend who did this course and he reckoned it was great but fairly intense, hope my brain won't be melted at the end of a long weekend version!
    derek

dereko1969 wrote:
    HTH,
    thanks for that, i've already mentioned it to a few team-mates so hopefully we'll get enough interested so that it's worthwhile doing. bumped into a former team-mate at the weekend who did this course and he reckoned it was great but fairly intense, hope my brain won't be melted at the end of a long weekend version!
    derek

Hi,

Actually HTH isn't a reference to me, it stands for "Hope that Helps"...

The weekly course is fairly intense, we spent over an hour last night on LBWs and the thinking behind giving them or not. Afterwards I realised how much there is to think about beyond the basics, and that with the requirement for an umpire to be absolutely sure, it's quite feasible that you could turn down every single appeal.

Alan mentioned different formats and timings, so I reckon he'll find something that suits, assuming you have the numbers.

TrueDub (!) :D

• Advertisement

:o what a dope i am!
    thanks for that, am checking out numbers and will get back to alan when i've got a few together.
    thanks true dub!

Advertisement