Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

While travelling around West in camper-truck - Broadband / web options please?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello folks!
    Just wondering what my options are for broadband or standard web use while travelling around the country in my camper-truck?
    Price is a factor as I can't afford the latest James Bond set-up - whatever that may be, but I would spend reasonable money on a dependable system.
    I will be spending several months from May 07, travelling around Ireland, mostly West of Ireland; Clare, Galway, Mayo areas and would like to have a web hook-up from my camper-truck. I will be in both built-up areas and isolated country / mountainous regions.
    To give a little more detail, my camper (in photo attached) has regular mains supply electricity provided from alternator from engine through transformer so can be used to hook up several units of regular mains power equipment when needed.
    I use a newest model Mac G4 laptop with system OSX 10.4.8. My mobile phone is prehistoric so well due an upgrade if that's the relevant equipment for connection to web.
    Could fit satellite to top of truck but guess that's the expensive option because for e.g. DigiWeb say I can't use their satellite while travelling among their areas which seems daft - but I haven't a clue! so please, anyone with a clue, please advise!
    Cheers! Barra

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

very very spotty 3g coverage. there are only 2 3g cells west of galway city that I know of

dsl/wifi is better available, say every 10 miles on average but not in large swathes connemara or mayo , better in s connemara and w clare .

then if you go to inishbofin island off connemara you get 4mbits downloads from th wi fi end of their wireless network, it rocks out there.

all in all a mixed bag of tech and suppliers and a lot better than 2 years ago when there was almost nothing along the west coast

maybe try 1 way sat and gprs , voda has the best data package for gprs if you get their 3g package which does gprs in 2g

Advertisement