Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Streaming content - what is required.

• 11-01-2007 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im probably not in the right place, but I'll post anyway and see where this post ends up:

I currently have a home cinema and in the rack section I have a pc which has 2 external hard drives with movies backed up on and that is feeding through to the projector etc etc.

I also have a PC and a couple of laptops in other rooms and all are connected to the same wireless network. This PC and the laptops also have movie files on them.

Im looking to be able to play a movie media file from one of the laptops through the PC which is connected to the projector, do I need to buy some sort of media server box or something? Basically I would like the PC connected the the projector to play files from other PC's on the network, is this possible and if so what equipment do I need to buy for it to work.

If I haven't confused everyone, could anyone suggest what I need?

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey Maxwell,

Just a thought but if all the computers/laptops are on the one network then just enable file sharing on the folders that have the movie files.

This should enable you to browse all movies from your pc connected to the projector and should you wish to play the movie from another pc the Network Connection should be sufficient to stream at real time levels.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Q

[edit] I'm pretty sure VLC Player has streamings options [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is your network wired or wireless?

If wireless you'll struggle to stream any great quality with standard 802.11 a/b/g routers. Maybe get one of the pre-802.11n ones. They should provide enough bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

enda1 wrote:
    Is your network wired or wireless?

If wireless you'll struggle to stream any great quality with standard 802.11 a/b/g routers. Maybe get one of the pre-802.11n ones. They should provide enough bandwidth.

I stream perfect MPEG4 to my TV. Main PC with all the videos is upstairs, wired to the router. Access point is beside router. Laptop is under TV, wireless 802.11g to Access Point.

Perfect quality, no jitters. Average video file is 800MB. Then again, each house is different. I must not have much interference between laptop and AP.

I can also copy that 800MB file in about 3 or 4 minutes over wireless. Most of the time I am connected at about 24Mbps to the AP.

Just for reference, it can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

quazzy wrote:
    Hey Maxwell,

Just a thought but if all the computers/laptops are on the one network then just enable file sharing on the folders that have the movie files.

This should enable you to browse all movies from your pc connected to the projector and should you wish to play the movie from another pc the Network Connection should be sufficient to stream at real time levels.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Q

[edit] I'm pretty sure VLC Player has streamings options [/edit]

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Well the machines just use the same router for accessing the web wirelessly - my apologies for the confusion - there is no "network" set up and I suppose that's basically what Im asking to do.

How do set them all up so I can acess them all to play the files?

As you can see from my answers, knowledge is limited (i.e. haven't a clue:o )

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Simple really,

* Make sure all computers have the same workgroup control panel->System Properties\Computer Name click change put in anything like Maxnet.

* Enable file sharing for the root folders holding the content e.g share movies not movies\Jaws or movies\Dodgeball. Just right click on a folder and select sharing & security if Windows prompts about running a wizard say no just enable simple file sharing.

* Install video codecs for whatever content is encoded in on other machines.

That's it now browse to the folder in My Network Places and you can see the contents.

* To set it up properly on the other machines for easy viewing use a free media centre UI like Media Portal then add the shared folder to it's My Videos section so whenever you load Media Portal you can browse from it's UI.

Media Portal requires .NET installed download it from Windows Update.

This would be more appropriate in the HTPC forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement