Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Muslim in Texas!

• 11-01-2007 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Well after posting 30 days as a Muslim and seeing the reaction it got thought might be interesting to view actual American's who turned to Islam.
    Turning Muslim in Texas

edit:
    Its short (24 min), very good documentary indeed.
    Thanks

Suff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Masha Allah (it is as God wills it)

Very very nice video. Very inspiring. Speaking as a born Muslim myself, I can say that, generally speaking, it seems to me that born Muslims tend not to appreciate Islam as much as a convert/revert. It always make me appreciate Islam more when I see how much they appreciate it.

One thing I was very glad and sad to hear at the same time in the video was the bit where just before the end of part 1, a woman was asked if it's possible to be a Muslim and a Texan at the same time. She answered something like "I don't know because I don't know what they believe in, do they believe in God?"

The nice thing about it is that she wasn't prepared to give a quick answer as she knew that she didn't know enough to give an informed answer and I respect that. The sad part is the fact that she didn't know and that's a reflection of peoples' education on Islam in general. Incidentally, the program didn't clarify that Allah is God which is a shame. And on a slightly different point, even if someone doesn't believe in God, can't you still be a Texan? I'm sure there are some atheist Texans out there.

Thanks for that Suff. Your youtube recommendations have been pretty solid recently :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

the_new_mr wrote:
    And on a slightly different point, even if someone doesn't believe in God, can't you still be a Texan? I'm sure there are some atheist Texans out there.

I think there are states in America (I am fairly sure Texas is one of them) where you have to believe in a higher power to be elected which is really sad. For country that is build on freedom such a thing should not be allowed.

Advertisement