Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on immigration.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You are Irishlordknight you twit. So you are suffering from schizophrenia as well.

The one about unemployment statistics was closed because you didn't have the balls to come back and post when a few of the regular posters on the board debunked your claims totally. No point keeping it open if you are incapable of taking part. You were probably embarrassed at your, poor child.

The second thread was by a poster who was basically trolling with no real proof. The kind of thread that consists of "I know this bloke who....." and decended into tripe after that.

Hope the therapy is helping with all your ailments, schizophrenia, compulsive obsessive disorder, turettes, paranoia maybe we should start up a charity for you. Poor 'ittle you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 whitesideshoots

oscarBravo wrote:
    That's because you're an idiot as well as a liar. One more time for the hard of thinking: the Politics forum has rules. One of those rules is that personal abuse is not allowed. Calling someone a muppet on Politics will get you banned.

With me so far? Good.

Now, we're not in Politics. That means that (a) a different set of rules applies, and (b) I'm not a moderator. That means that I can call you a muppet, an idiot and a liar without breaking any of the rules of the Politics forum, and therefore I don't have to ban myself.

If one of the admins or smods feels it's appropriate to ban me from Feedback for calling you a muppet, an idiot and a liar, I'll take that with good grace.

Unless, of course, you're not neolxp, in which case I've grievously wronged you and crave your pardon. But you are, so my conscience is clear.

So you allowe Irish Lord night to be a member for how long and now only choose to ban him because why?

Oh yes he had previously signed up with another name thought you stilll have failed to back this up.

And Irish Lord night was banned but why was the thread closed?

I certainly didnt see anything wrong but then you say Im an Idio a liar and a muppet?

And if you cant see the hypocracy of that then your the fool.

Just Because a Guard is a police officer in Ireland it dosent mean he can go up north and break laws. He has to keep the respect he is supposed to have.

As a Moderator Oscar I would have thought that in any forum you should show a tollerance and manners that you say should be shown in politics.

Because where not in your house (politics) you feel you can shi>t in someone elses?

Why do you think im Irish Lord night?

I can tell you im not!

Can you proove i am?

Now I dont pretend not know him as we both use the same computer. But I am certainly not him!

gandalf wrote:
    You are Irishlordknight you twit. So you are suffering from schizophrenia as well.

The one about unemployment statistics was closed because you didn't have the balls to come back and post when a few of the regular posters on the board debunked your claims totally. No point keeping it open if you are incapable of taking part. You were probably embarrassed at your, poor child.

The second thread was by a poster who was basically trolling with no real proof. The kind of thread that consists of "I know this bloke who....." and decended into tripe after that.

Hope the therapy is helping with all your ailments, schizophrenia, compulsive obsessive disorder, turettes, paranoia maybe we should start up a charity for you. Poor 'ittle you.

Didnt Irish lord night already explain to you he wasnt able torespond as by the time he returned to the computer you had closed the Thread?

You only banned the second thread after Irish Lord night had responded. Are you saying he was trolling?

You say that facts are backed up by I know .... But if people do know thingsarent they allowed to say them regardless if they gor here infgormation from?

America and Britain went to War on some False information that someone told them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why his immigration threads keep getting locked and he keeps getting banned.

I can see why he gets banned, why do the immigration threads get locked?

What point is there in locking the thread for the majority of the people who just want to discuss immigration?
    Like, obviously this is a private website and if the admins decide that threads containing vowels are to be banned, then so be it. But is it not reasonable to be able to discuss immigration policy without resorting to locking the thread every time? It would certainly appear more reasonable, and slightly less pathetic than pointlessly namecalling at one another on an internet board, why bother:confused:

• Advertisement

Bye Bye muppet ;)

Infront the problem is at the moment most immigration threads even if they are started with the best intentions tend to attract a certain type of poster who posts "folk tales" and when they are confronted on them either don't debate or get hostile. One of this idiots previous guises even tried to pretend to be an immigrant in a post on how they were taking advantage of the Irish Social Services. Pretty pathetic and sad.

If you want to discuss immigration then please start a thread but be prepared to discuss it and to back up what you say with facts. If you cannot do that then threads will be closed and bannings handed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Islamlovesu

gandalf wrote:
    Bye Bye muppet ;)

Paul(Gandalf) I think thats the posters problem.

He calmns down starts to have a logical debate.

You respond Bye bye muppet and then ban him!

That to me is Childish.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

InFront wrote:
    I can see why he gets banned, why do the immigration threads get locked?
    They're muppet magnets. They create an utterly disproportionate amount of work to keep them civilised - not least because the sheer stupidity of the stormfront elite brings out the worst in others, and any such thread deteriorates quickly on both sides.

When this particular muppet incarnation has died down, I'd be happy to let an immigration thread run its course - on a strictly zero-tolerance basis.

Paul(Gandalf) I think thats the posters problem.

He calmns down starts to have a logical debate.

You respond Bye bye muppet and then ban him!

That to me is Childish.
    Hm, I wonder who this could be.

[edit] Whoah, that was quick, Gordon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

All threads on immigration are closed soon after the first anti-immigration opinion is voiced, regardless to what the OP or subsequent posters do.

No Ciaran its normally because of idiots with multiple account disorder like our poor mentally challanged friend above :rolleyes:

CiaranC wrote:
    All threads on immigration are closed soon after the first anti-immigration opinion is voiced, regardless to what the OP or subsequent posters do.
    Point me to a Politics thread that was closed because of coherent and well-reasoned anti-immigration posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Just thought I'd inject a serious post in all the fun and games.

If you want an immigration thread to stay open I recommend following these simple rules.

1. Do not resort to name calling in any way.

2. If someone calls you a name, ignore it. Don't even bring it into the subject of the thread. If its offensive then hit report post and politely say why it is rude (although mods will whack anyway). Going on and on about how someone called you a name rather then answering questions people may of asked of you just makes you look stupid.

3. Anecdotes don't cut it, except maybe in After hours and then up to a point. If you know something to be a fact you should say so and be prepared to back it up.

To give an example...
    If a in the UK they are now waking up to the fact that immigrants only benfit the uk by 4p for every person living in the UK.

But Fuking idiots like you are either too stupid fat and lazt too see the Truth or wake up to reality.

See what you did there? Rather then point the people to the source you called them names. This does absolutly nothing to help your case and because you lacked a source it just looks like you made all that up.

Here is what you should of said...
    If a in the UK they are now waking up to the fact that immigrants only benfit the uk by 4p for every person living in the UK.

But that amazing 4p is outweighed by lower job standards, lower wages, straines on Hospitals, schools etc. (source).

Of course in this instance it puts validity to your words but only to the point that you have a source and didn't pull the figures out of your ass.

Of course you would have to be prepared to debate the issue further, for example my rebuttal to such a post would be to point out that the figure is based on a report by an anti-immigration pressure group and that the UK governments home office has said to take the report with a pinch of salt.

gandalf wrote:
    If you want to discuss immigration then please start a thread but be prepared to discuss it and to back up what you say with facts. If you cannot do that then threads will be closed and bannings handed down.

Yeah I can appreciate the problem, but is there not some way of blocking the poster from re-registering if theyre persistent? I'm pretty sure there is a good body of posters who would be up for a rational debate without getting childish about it. Threads like this only seem to be giving an incentive to the guy who got banned. He gets attention, which is exactly what he wants from everyone who's responding to him, and ina week or so the circle starts again.

The only way to do that is to set up a system like there is in the soccer section. I don't think that would be an ideal fit with Politics tbh. There are other ways but we could impact users who have nothing to do with this rubbish.

We have had nights where this idiot has mass posted so half the threads in Politics are spam from him. You don't see this because we delete all those posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Indeed I have started and participated on many an immigration thread and knew regardless of providing proof beyond all reasonable doubt it was bound to be locked at some stage. In reality those of us who put forward arguments on both sides of the immigration debate are nearly always penalised by Mods locking them due to other posters not providing “proof”. Now when I say proof I mean PROOF that isn't required to the same extent on other topics. I’ve never been banned but have come close to it over the years for not providing CSO PDfs or whatever to back up claims read in the Irish Times (not a pro multi culti newspaper) or some other publications. Likewise personal experience doesn’t count on this topic either. When it comes to the immigration issue in MY OPINION Free speech in a public forum under Irish Constitutional law doesn’t exist under Politics here. I headed to Politics.ie instead.

We have had nights where this idiot has mass posted so half the threads in Politics are spam from him. You don't see this because we delete all those posts.

ok fair enough, well there's alway AH (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That was totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

dathi1 wrote:
    are nearly always penalised by Mods locking them due to other posters not providing “proof”. Now when I say proof I mean PROOF that isn't required to the same extent on other topics.

Politics forum you are required to post proof if you are requested. That being your source of your information.

You will be called up on that source by others if its full of crap but you wouldn't be banned at that point.

For example pointing to a news paper article or a blog that makes a claim but doesn't reference the source isn't a valid source of proof.

If you want people to believe you then you should do your homework before presenting it.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    If you want people to believe you then you should do your homework before presenting it.
    ...and if you're not bothered whether people believe you or not, but simply want a soapbox from which to spout unsubstantiated drivel, you're not welcome in Politics.

Simple, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This is a really piontless thread , I cant believe I read it all.

I have to agree insults and piontless agruments with no foundation have no place. I for one would like to see the topic discussed. As I would be anti-immigration. But seem to think the anti-immigration lobby is full of bare -headed brainless foot soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

tekken r jorbz

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Why don't we return the favour and all sign up with Stormfront using account names like "Abdullah", "Ahmed" and "Mohammed" and start threads such as "Are immigrants really that bad?" or "The riches of my new life in Ireland" and "Recently moved from Romania - how to claim benefits?"

That should get them going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I personally think it is a disgrace that every threaqd pertaining to immigration is locked on boards even when fair and unbiased logic is put forward. Usually the thread starter is bullied and mocked with comments like "theeey tuuuk ar jarbs". This is ridiculous and these people have a real problem.

I have my own views on immigration but don't bother to air them anymore considering the harrasment I have received in the past. However it seems fine to start threads condemning Irish people. Grow up mods and shave off the communist beards. And for those who view me as a Communist I am not but rather would postion myself to the right of Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I've no problem with immigration (I emigrated from Ireland to the UK and am therefore and immigrant in the UK!) and would love to see reasonable and sensible discussion on the subject but unfortunately there are too many muppets out there (on both sides) spoiling it for everyone else :(

I think all the Communist/Fascist comments from both sides deserve derision so I fart in your general direction...your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :p

/sits on fence and watches the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

netwhizkid wrote:
    Grow up mods and shave off the communist beards.

The Cold War's over Charlie Brown. Get some new rhetoric.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I hear there's a feature available to vB that can put a particular user on EVERYONE'S ignore list.

Anyway, most threads that get people all riled up do get locked at some point - usually the point at which the intelligible conversation has left the thread and you're just left with boneheads on either side calling each others' mothers sexy. Where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

However it seems fine to start threads condemning Irish people. Grow up mods and shave off the communist beards.
    Not communism, :D its McCarthyism in reverse, an illiberal liberalism. Take a look at the ballerina who joined the BNP. Its a leftover from the 60's which still captivates the heart of some Irish Students and Media types. Its endemic in Civil Service, establishment parties, and Unions. The NUJ are nuts about it. Thankfully as you can and will see across Europe, its on the way out quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I personally think it is a disgrace that every threaqd pertaining to immigration is locked on boards even when fair and unbiased logic is put forward

The problem is that nearly all of them don't contain any fair and unbiased logic..
    And for those who view me as a Communist I am not but rather would postion myself to the right of Centre.

Can we make suggestions as to what position we believe you should take up?

Advertisement