Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No room for percolation area

• 11-01-2007 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience with Wastewater Treatment Systems, Percolation areas etc...

History
    I have client who was granted planning for an extension to a cottage (i had nothing to do with this) on a small site.

One of the conditions was that a new Wastewater treatment system and percolation area be installed (this was proposed as part of the planning application by the applicant, but no details of same were submitted or asked for)

Also this percolation area and Wastewater treatment system were to be in accordance with Epa Standards.......and approved by a competent engineer and this approval submitted to Council.

Problem
    Now that client is about to go ahead with extension and a garage also, he has discovered the area required for a percolation area adequate for the size (5 bedroom) of property etc....is not enough.

He does not have enough area to facilitate the required percolation area.

Solution
    ?1?/"!/??

Anyone any ideas...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The percolation area required for a package plant is much less than that needed for the conventional septic tank. The manufacturers should be able to carry out a site assessment and install a suitable system with an appropriately sized perc. area.

I wouldnt worry too much about it as the Council conditioned it on the PP without first seeking an assessment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

As Muffler said, a properitary system will require a much smaller percolation area than a traditional septic tank installation. I have used a few systems in the past but generally end up spec'ing a Biocycle system. Their technical back up is quiet good, and they can carry out a site investigation and detail a system to suit. One issue is that they require payment for the design up front (€500ish) but it comes off the price of the unit at the end.

(And before anyone suggests it, I don't work for them :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

what about installing a reed bed after your (20/30) treatment plant?
    takes up very little space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

i hear what ye are saying.

has anyone any experience with a polishing filter of plan area equivalent to the trench area that may be required and the use of a pumped discharge via small pipes and manifold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I recently had a bord na mona Puraflo installed and for a 3 bed with up to 6 persons, the soil had decent percolation (there is a test and a rating) the modules which sit on top of the ground are about 4x2 metres each and there are two. Thats 16sq m with a clearance to boundary of 5m. The percolation area is that 16sq m which is filled with stone on which the modules sit. A neat option if you don't quite have the space for a number of trenches.

Not a cheap option at €4300 plus the cost of septic tank and a JCB man.

Note I had the option and the space while the lads were on site to install a percolation trench (just in cases) but it wasn't necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Buy more land or

Build smaller house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Victor wrote:
    Buy more land or

Build smaller house!
    Thats a helpful comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ewan

Your best bet is to install a treatment system with effluent pumped to a polishing filter, which can be raised above ground or at/below ground level. (this depends on your percolation values) A polishing filter will be prob 1/3-1/4 the size of the equivalent percolation area. YOur best bet is to talk to bord na mona, their system is prob on of the best around. a percolation area for a 4 bedroomed house (population equivalent of 8) is 160 linear metres, equating to 20*18metres. A polishing filter, depending on the percolation values would be a minimum of 72metres squared......big difference
    Or talk to one of the site assessors on clare county councils list for advice....be carefull though, theres some complete rogues out there....pm me if you want some names..

Advertisement