Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NXT Flatpanel Speakers

• 11-01-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Would anyone know if NXT speakers are available in about A4 size and if so where?

I have seen some from Wharfdale (PPS-1) but they were way to large.

WAF is the major consideration here.

Thanks in advance.

Fazer6.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've seen PC speakers about that size.. or smaller. Hewlitt packard I think.

Those speakers are pretty useless for music or cinema btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Slaphead07 wrote:
    Those speakers are pretty useless for music or cinema btw.

Eh, I have to beg to differ on that one. They don't have the low frequencies (I think below 100hz, so you will need a good sub.

NXT speakers are actually very good because they dont transmit the sound like cone speakers do - the sound filters out like a piano so you don't need to have them positioned evenly around the room.

Mission speakers had some NXT speaker packs - I think they were called FS1 and FS2 or something.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Eh, I have to beg to differ on that one. They don't have the low frequencies (I think below 100hz, so you will need a good sub.

L.
    We will differ then... if it's for music it's really dodgy using a sub, they rarely mix well with other speakers (ok for cinema but not music). If you want genuine good quality flat speakers you'll have to look at either Quad or Martin Logan. Quad have brought out a new version of their electrostatics which cost about €6000. You can get the older Quads from 1957 or 1963 (teh '57s were originally mono but a pair work well) for maybe about €2000 reconditioned. Martin Logan Vantage are about €7000 if you want the bse model.
    nereid wrote:
    NXT speakers are actually very good because they dont transmit the sound like cone speakers do - the sound filters out like a piano so you don't need to have them positioned evenly around the room.

This, I'm afraid, is nonsense. The one defining characteristic of electrostatic speakers is that they have a very limited "Sweet spot" (especially the mono '57s) which is directly in the middle of the two speakers, you can sit or stand up but you'd still have to be in the middle to hear music properly. The Logan's don't suffer from this as much and they have an adjustable sub built into each speaker but it's still noticeable.

The name Mission does not mean quality to me btw, I've never heard a Mission speaker I liked. They make Slaps ears bleed.

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It's NXT speakers I'm interested in, electrostatic speakers are way out of my price range.

Fazer6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Fazer6 wrote:
    It's NXT speakers I'm interested in, electrostatic speakers are way out of my price range.

That is what I was going to reply to Slaphead.

NXT are different to electrostatics...

FYI slaphead, and here.

L.

nereid wrote:
    NXT are different to electrostatics...
    Yeah, they differ in two ways, NXT still use cones and NXT doesn't work very well. I mentioned electrostatics because the sound profile is broadly similar to NXT and they share many of the same problems - limited sweet spot and lack of bass. The links you gave are from companies that sell NXT so you'll forgive me if I don't take them too seriously. NXT speakers exist because people will always need space saving products, not because flatter cones are better, they aren't. As I said above NXT are fine for a PC (I use them there myself) but not for any serious listening.

Advertisement