Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Message" The Story of Islam The Movie

• 11-01-2007 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Some of you might like to watch this, it was filmed back in 1976
    starring Anthony Quinn, Irene Papas, Michael Ansara.
    Directed by Moustapha Akkad, who produced the Halloween movies, he's Syrian :D
    The movie was nominated for an Oscar back in 77

I think some of you might be interested to view the story of Islam and feel abit of the history of this Faith.

[snip]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

It's a great movie Suff! Nice one!

But we have to check the copyright on this first I think before we allow a link to it. I understand from interviews with Moustapha Akkad that I've seen that his goal was that the West and the Islamic world come closer together so I'd imagine that he'd be totally cool with it being shown on the net like this but we'd better make sure first I guess. I'll remove the link for now and restore it if I find it's okay. Feel free to do the same Suff if you find out that it's okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

the_new_mr wrote:
    I understand from interviews with Moustapha Akkad that I've seen that his goal was that the West and the Islamic world come closer together so I'd imagine that he'd be totally cool with it being shown on the net like this but we'd better make sure first I guess.
    Maybe you don't know but unfortunately he died in the Amman bombings in 2005.
    It's a very good movie, if anyone's interested you can get it fairly cheaply on play.com or amazon.co.uk.

Actually, I'm afraid I did know. Only found out quite recently though. Very sad really. RIP.

Guess it wasn't clear from my text. Especially since I said "I'd imagine that he'd be totally cool with it" whereas I should have said "I'd imagine that he'd have been totally cool with it".

Right, did some googling and came across a site called www.archive.org which I think has just become one of my favourite sites. It's an online digital library. I did some reading about the site and found the following pieces of text:
    Who owns the rights to these movies?

This will vary for practically every movie in the archive.

We are endevouring to make it easy to understand what you can do with these movies, but this is a work-in-progress. Many of the movies and collections are licensed with Creative Commons Licenses. If the movie has a CC License, it will be noted on the movie's detail page. Click on this link to find out exactly what the permissions are for that particular film. Some films may have the contact information listed for the filmmaker. If the information is provided, feel free to contact the filmaker or organization the film comes from.

If there's no license, you should assume that the only thing you're allowed to do with it is watch it.
    You agree to abide by all applicable laws and regulations, including intellectual property laws, in connection with your use of the Archive. In particular, you certify that your use of any part of the Archive's Collections will be noncommercial and will be limited to noninfringing or fair use under copyright law.

Coupled with the statement that the late Moustapha Akkad made in his interviews, I think I can say with my level of legal ignorance that all is cool for now. We should probably still try and get in contact with FilmCo international but I'm having trouble getting any contact info for them. Made the necessary adjustments to Suff's original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cheers thanks for that Suff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have removed Suffs links. The works are actually copyrighted material and it is not free. If you want to get the DVD you can find it here.

http://store.talkislam.com/a1147.html
    http://www.islamicbookstore.com/v267.html
    http://www.kvisionbooks.com/product_info.php/7_Biographies/The_Message_The_Story_of_Islam_English_and_Arabic_Versions_DVD/

or on amazon.com. Any links to "free" stuff will result in a temp ban so please don't do it.

If you can prove it is actually free then the link can return.

Yeah, guess we should check before we allow it for download. I was just thinking it would be okay based on what was said on the archive.org website. It seems like a very respectable site and not like a pirate website.

The problem is how to check if it's really free or not. I checked the company credits page for the message and it seems that FilmCo International was set up for making the message and that's it as can be seen from this page. There are 3 listings. The Message in english and in arabic and the making of.

Maybe Anchor Bay Entertainment are the people to talk to. I'll send them an e-mail now.

Advertisement