Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil

Options
  • 11-01-2007 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Got 400 litres of oil there at the beginning of december, ran out this week.

I don't think we were overusing it, on for approx 4-5 hours a day every day.

Don't know is this the correct forum, just curious and wondering if i actually got the 400 in the first place, it seems to be very quick to go through that amount of oil.

What can i do if i was ripped off ? The receipt says i got the 400.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I wouldn't doubt the fill quantity as its all controlled by valves and proper records are kept by all oil distributors.

400 litres for 5/6 weeks seems high but it depends on how you use it.

I moved 2 years ago to an oil fired house and it took a full winter season to work out the best way to heat it.

Most important make sure the boiler is cleaned and serviced - this can save up to 30% and costs about €60 - €70. (similar to chimney cleaning) Then make sure the termostat on the boiler is at a level of approx 68 - 72 degrees any higher and you're wasting a further whack of oil - unless you need the house to be a sauna.

Finally - turn off all raditors in rooms not being used and turn them down in bedrooms until nearer bedtime - alternative is to install a twin timer - one for upstairs & one for downsatirs (not sure how difficult this is)

Last year i went through over 2500 litres - this year I've yet to use 1000 litres since September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Final point - expect price to drop to about €500 for 1000 litres within the next couple of weeks. there's no longer much duty on home heat oil so reducts & increases follow world oil prices more accurately than petrol prices.

It takes aboiut 4 weeks for reduction in crude prices to work its way to pump / home heat price. -

Current crude price $53 / barrel - Price 3 weeks ago $63 / barrel.
    Home heat price 3 weeks ago (MCL) €559, price it should be in 3 weeks approx. €499

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

monosharp wrote:
    Got 400 litres of oil there at the beginning of december, ran out this week.

I don't think we were overusing it, on for approx 4-5 hours a day every day.
    Thanks.
    Is your burner working properly?
    How old is it, when was it last serviced?

Old burners can do this + also leak, you should check.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Also could your oil tank have been 'burgled'? Its really common to have oil stolen from tanks if they can be accessed easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mcaul wrote:
    It takes aboiut 4 weeks for reduction in crude prices to work its way to pump / home heat price. -

And 4 hours for an increase to find it's way to the pumps. :rolleyes:

OP, make sure your tank is locked as it is fairly common now for home heating oil to be stolen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement