Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney flue needs to be re-lined

Options
  • 11-01-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Had a chimney fire recently, the flue is connected to the oil burner. When cleaning out the chimney, after the fire, a lot of the lining broke off, there are definitly cracks into the attic also...so the long and the short of it is I need to get the flue re-lined.

Has anyone any experience of this, I am hoping it will not be a major job. My understanding of it is a builder simply shoves sections of metal cylinders into the chimney to seal it all up again (probably over simplifying it!). I have heard that there can be issues if the chimney is very narrow, I would guess that the internal diameter of mine is about 9 - 10 inches.

It's an internal chimney (not at the side of the house) so I am hoping to avoid the need for any deconstruction/reconstruction. Any ideas what kind of money I should be expecting to pay for this? is it worth my while putting in a home insurance claim?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sconsey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know a whole lot about it - but I reckon it's gonna be an insurance job.

Some info on lining a chimney can be found in one of the links on this page. The link specifically relates to lining older unlined chimneys, but I'm sure there are similarities in the procedure.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Sconsey wrote:
    Hi,

Had a chimney fire recently, the flue is connected to the oil burner. When cleaning out the chimney, after the fire, a lot of the lining broke off, there are definitly cracks into the attic also...so the long and the short of it is I need to get the flue re-lined.

Has anyone any experience of this, I am hoping it will not be a major job. My understanding of it is a builder simply shoves sections of metal cylinders into the chimney to seal it all up again (probably over simplifying it!). I have heard that there can be issues if the chimney is very narrow, I would guess that the internal diameter of mine is about 9 - 10 inches.

It's an internal chimney (not at the side of the house) so I am hoping to avoid the need for any deconstruction/reconstruction. Any ideas what kind of money I should be expecting to pay for this? is it worth my while putting in a home insurance claim?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sconsey

Hi
    I know there are different types of liners for different fuels. I had a couple of liners installed a number of years ago. For GAS boilers, the job was simple...Builder climbs roof, throws small weight attached to string down chimney. A bullet shaped nose cone is attached to the coiled flexible metal liner he was wearing like a bandolier. With a little push / pull and the string to guide around the Off-sets / bends, job done in no time. Seal up at stack and seal at fireplace...Hey presto....no dirt,no plastering, no bricklaying.
    That's for gas..but I was led to believe that this system is available for other fuels
    Hope this helps
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Check out MI Flues in Summerhill, Meath. http://www.miflues.ie
    They have a good FAQ section. Your option seems to be stainless steel liner (5-6" diameter) and a granular backfill. Probably an insurance claim as it will set you back a possible €2000.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Tapest is correct.

I recently installed a Waterford Stanley oil stove - no back boiler.
    And i had to install a 6" stainless steel flue liner into the existing flue.
    Got a friend to help me - took 1 hour exactly like Tapest said.

I have to replace the flue cap as there is a lot of noise in windy weather - have to get a H-cowl to reduce the noise.

As for backfill - the supplier said not needed. As the 6" flue liner inside an 8" flue is not going to be in the middle of the 8" flue. But that might be owrth doing in your case.

Hope this helps,
    K

Advertisement