Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Light

Options
  • 11-01-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Guys

I was flying down the M50 yesterday when My oil light came on. I coasted to the first exit and drove slowly for about 2 miles until I got to a petrol station where I topped her up with about 400 ml of oil. Engine was too hot to dip and be accurate.

Light went out immediately.

Dipped it later when it was cool and it was still below the min level! Added rest of the liter of oil which brought it to just under the 3/4 mark on the dipstick.

Have I done damage?

There is no sign of any leak. I can't see any tell tale signs of burning. so either it is burning and I can't see it, or more likely the last person who serviced it didn't put in sufficient oil.

This means I might have been driving for 8000 miles on less than minimum oil!

Its a 1.4 VW Bora 2004 and has 55K on the clock.

My thinking is that once the oil light comes on, it means you've already done a bit of damage.

What do you think?

B2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I would imagine your oil light would come on to PREVENT damage. I.e.. early.
    I'd say you're game ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm assuming from your post that it's 8,000 miles since your last service. That would easily be enough time for your car to burn a couple of litres of oil without your noticing (assuming you never check your oil). For future reference, the red light means that there is insufficient oil in the sump for the engine to maintain oil pressure. If this ever happens to you again, switch off the engine IMMEDIATELY. Anyway, for now - fill with oil to the max mark on the dipstick, and check your oil very regularly from now on. You'll soon get an idea of how much it's burning, assuming, of course, that the running dry hasn't toasted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

overdriver wrote:
    I would imagine your oil light would come on to PREVENT damage. I.e.. early.
    I'd say you're game ball.
    An oil level light would, but they only work when the engine's stopped. An oil pressure light means the engine's being starved of oil, with pretty immediate and catastrophic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Was the oil light yellow or red? If it was yellow it is oil level - red is oil pressure. If the yellow light came on then topping it up should do the trick. I doubt very much you were driving for 8000 miles with low oil. VWs tend to use a bit of oil between services, but this is more prevalent in diesel versions and, at 55k the consumption should have levelled out.

If the light was red then get an oil pressure test done just to be sure. If it was yellow, just top it up to the correct mark and drive on.

VW will not entertain an oil consumption complaint unless consumption exceeds 1 litre per 1,000 kms! If you check your manual you will see it it recommends that the oil level be checked everytime you fuel the car! And no doubt we all do that............... I can't remember the last time I opened the bonnet on my 2000 Bora (which by the way uses little or no oil between services).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hopefully, you're OK.

You should definitely do an oil and filter change though! And check your fluid levels regularly in future.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Those 1.4 petrol engines on the early Mk4 Golfs and Boras are very bad at "using" oil. A lot worse than the diesels
    Surprised it took 1 litre to fill. I thought the oil light should come on a lot sooner.
    The yellow light is only a sign to top up. No damage should have been done to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Thanks guys

I looks like I haven't done any damage, but can't say that 100% for sure.

I was debating a few weeks back whether or not to trade in for something else, I think this has made up my mind.

Cheers

B2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can't see that this is a reason to change the car; but if you do, be sure to look after the new one!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

All cars use oil.
    If you had to put a litre in every couple of weeks it might be a reason to change but not once off. Chances are you may never have to do it for the next few years.
    Wouldn't go changing the car because of this

Advertisement