Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical fish starter pack?

Options
  • 11-01-2007 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new house and am thinking of getting a tropical fish tank. Any advice on what sort of equipment I would need and also some brightly coloured fish I could get?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There is a bit of prep work, and ideally the tank should be running for some time before any fish are added. I haven't kept any for a while, so I'm sure someone will be able to be give more advice.

Basics first, tank, stand, heater, filtration system, gravel, temperature gauge, maybe a few small plants to start things going.

I think there is a new type of solution you pour in which is supposed to get the tank up and running way quicker then normal.

Have you kept fish before?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

trust me i have kept fish on and off it seems like a good idea now but you will get bored and end up not cleaning the tank and the fish will just suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply, I havent kept fish before. How often do you have to clean the tank? Roughly How much would the basics cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Mr.B

Hey Asterix,

I was in your position a few years ago.
    I started from scratch and bought a Juwel Rekord 120litre aqarium (see attached). I keep community tropical fish in it. That way you can keep many varied types. I'm no expert by any means but it makes a great feature in the house. There isn't much work to it, it's just a matter of looking after it regularly. I upgraded to a new 180 litre last week.

[edit] Adverts.ie is there for a reason, please read charter, no second warning will be given (to anyone).[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

i got mine in boardwalk pets. left it running for two weeks and then slow started
    adding fish i change about a 1/4 of the water every two weeks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Make sure you cycle the tank before adding a lot of fish (or ideally before adding any fish at all) this is the usual beginner mistake, adding fish to an uncycled tank and then wondering why they die and then getting fed up with the hobby.

Search around this http://www.fishforums.net/ site for a while and you should get all the answers that you need to start off successfully, look up "cycling a tank" and "fishless cycling" articles on how to do this will be stickied probably in the beginners section on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Advertisement