Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Help

Options
  • 11-01-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Basically, I need to display 6 "upcoming fixtures" in a table using PHP and MySQL. At the moment, I am pulling the fixtures in order of when they were added (with an auto_increment field called FixtureID) however, how would I go about ordering them by closest to todays date (preferably ordered by time aswell if 2 fixtures are 1 night)

I have a date field and a time field although, Im unsure about ordering queries when the field has an odd format (not an Int).

This is how I am ordering the fixtures at the moment:

<td background="phanq_images/phanq_menulinkleftmiddleedg.gif">
    <?php
    echo '<span class="Black"><a href="fixtures.php?FixtureID='; //Open a Hyperlink Tag
    $sqlfixturesquery = "SELECT * FROM Fixtures ORDER BY FixtureID DESC LIMIT 0, 1"; //Select the closest fixture
    $recordset = mysql_query($sqlfixturesquery); //Run the query
    $fixturesarray = mysql_fetch_array($recordset); //Turn the record into an array
    echo $fixturesarray[FixtureID]; //Write the FixtureID of the most recent match
    echo '">'; //Close the tags
    echo "pHanQ vs $fixturesarray[Opposition]"; //Write "pHanQ vs" the closest fixture
    echo "</a></span>"; //Close the Hyperlink Tag
    ?>
    </td>
    <td align="right" background="phanq_images/phanq_menulinkleftmiddleedg.gif">
    <?php
    echo '<span class="BlackBold"><a href="fixtures.php?FixtureID='; //Open a Hyperlink Tag
    echo $fixturesarray[FixtureID]; //Write the FixtureID of the fixture
    echo '">'; //Close the tags
    echo $fixturesarray[Date];
    echo "</a></span>"; //Close the Hyperlink Tag
    ?>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Easy enough, MySQL knows how to order any data type. Did you declare the date and time columns as Varchar or DATE and TIME?

Should just be able to use
    SELECT * FROM Fixtures ORDER BY Date DESC, Time DESC LIMIT 0, 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hearmeroar

Thing is, the 'Date' data type is in a really ugly format, its yyyy-mm-dd, I would much prefer it to be dd/mm/yyyy, any way of doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well that's just the generic format. MySQL doesn't actually treat it as text. You can use the DATE_FORMAT function to get the data as you want it.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/date-and-time-functions.html

So
    SELECT FixtureID, DATEFORMAT(dateCol, '%d/%c/%Y') as fixdate FROM Fixtures ORDER BY Date DESC, Time DESC LIMIT 0, 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

You can use the PHP date() function to format the look.

E.g.

<?php

$today = "2006-12-04";

echo date("F j, Y, g:i a",strtotime($today)); // December 4, 2006, 12:00 am

?>

More here > http://ie.php.net/date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hearmeroar

Perfect guys!

Thanks a lot. I ended up using:

$date = $fixturesarray[Date];
    echo date("d/m/Y",strtotime($date));

Which is working perfectly! :)