Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Diagnostic kits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

A few things you should know about it -

It is designed to work with a cracked version of carsoft. Where are you going to get that?
    Loads of people have bought them and cant get them to work.
    Only works with a serial port, not USB.
    I would be very surprised if it will work for chip tuning and if it did you would need softeware for that too.
    It is quite functional but not at a professional level, if you know how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Was just going to mention that Alan about the software. I see no mention of it anywhere in the ad. I too looked at these a few yrs ago but gave them a wide berth for the software reason.

Also, most modern laptops don't come with serial ports so if you do decide to get it, make sure yours has. Its a special order as I found out the hard way.

Its all very well being able to diagnose a problem, its fixing it is the big issue.

What did you have planned for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

The main thing I was looking at it for was resetting some error lights like the airbag light.

Good points though. My laptop doesn't have a serial port, but there might be one on the work one I have. I could probably use a serial to usb converter though.

Whats the cost of the Carsoft software do you know?

we're using a serial to usb converter in work on another laptop with no issues on one laptop but it gives trouble with the newer Dell laptops. Check out your hardware is compatible first.

If your airbag light keeps coming on, MrD will sort it for you. Constantly re-setting it will not fix it permanently

The problem with that though is getting the free time to bring it to a garage, and to be either able to do without a car for a few days, or hope the garage will provide you with one. There are a few non-critical things that need to be done like the pollen filter replaced, but with the nearest BMW dealership half an hour away, and the nearest unofficial but respected BMW mechanic about an hour away its pretty difficult with my schedule at the moment.

The problem with the airbag light is due to it being a compact and the front seats being moved forward and back all the time, so I think I'll get the connection fused together.

I might wait till its service, we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

In general, usb to serial causes problems with baud rates for diagnostics.
    The genuine software comes as a package that includes an interface with a dongle to activate it. Cost is about €3300.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have used it. It's quite good. The genuine software is expensive, sometimes you have people selling used versions on EBay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hey,

What version BMW are you hoping to work with??

If it's an E36, there's an old DOS version of Carsoft around on the net.. it requires a PC with 2 serial ports, so won't work on a laptop, but runs fine on any old desktop... Also unlike the newer windows version of carsoft, the old DOS version just needs a level shifter to go from K-line --> RS232, well it actually needs 2 level shifters, one for the K-Line --> COM1 and L-line --> COM2. The components to make the level shifters only cost a few Euro. You should also be able to purchase the level shifting circuit...

As an earlier poster said it can take a lot of messing around to get it to work.

Also be carefull of files you download from the likes of LimeWire with "Cracked Carsoft XX " in the title, alot of these contain viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I bought vag usb cable off this guy before no problems at all, not too about his BMW stuff

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/alpha-bid/BMW.html

Stky10 wrote:
    The problem with the airbag light is due to it being a compact and the front seats being moved forward and back all the time, so I think I'll get the connection fused together.

I might wait till its service, we'll see.
    good idea

• Advertisement

Hey,

What version BMW are you hoping to work with??

If it's an E36,....

Its an E46
    As an earlier poster said it can take a lot of messing around to get it to work.

I could well believe it. The laptop in work here has a serial port, but I doubt I'll go ahead with it. I'll think about it over the weekend.
    Also be carefull of files you download from the likes of LimeWire with "Cracked Carsoft XX " in the title, alot of these contain viruses.

I know.. once made a mistake, lost all my emails.. it hasn't happened since.

Advertisement