Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensing oil boiler versus Wood pellet boiler.

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Having given consideration to installing a wood pellet boiler in my house currently under consrtuction I have completely gone off the idea because of high costs, potential delivery /supply problems and great reservations about the suitability of wood pellets in the damp Irish climate. This technology works well in continental europe and whereas their temperatures are much lower , there is none of the constant dampnessthat exists here. Surely when the pellets are being delivered in bulk they risk getting damp in the delivery trucks.So they may arrive to the householder in an already damp state and if so the boiler won't function efficiently and may even damage the boiler.

So I've opted for a condensing oil boiler. My query is can this boiler be placed at high level in a utility room?I have a high floor to ceiling and am considering placing the boiler on brackets over the door. Can this be done?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

which boiler have you gone for.

Where were where you planning to install the wpb? I ask because you are now considering installing installing a wall mounted boiler in an unusal location. i.e above a door.

As to the issues with quality of pellets, supply etc, that is a bit of an unknown but, one that should be resolved in the long term as additional supplers enter the market.

Storage of pellets shouldnt be a major problem if the silo is correctly designed & installed. If the silo is colocated with the wpb then the residual heat from the boiler should provide enough heat to reduce the risk of dampness in the pellets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Echelle wrote:
    Having given consideration to installing a wood pellet boiler in my house currently under consrtuction I have completely gone off the idea because of high costs, potential delivery /supply problems and great reservations about the suitability of wood pellets in the damp Irish climate. This technology works well in continental europe and whereas their temperatures are much lower , there is none of the constant dampnessthat exists here. Surely when the pellets are being delivered in bulk they risk getting damp in the delivery trucks.So they may arrive to the householder in an already damp state and if so the boiler won't function efficiently and may even damage the boiler.

So I've opted for a condensing oil boiler. My query is can this boiler be placed at high level in a utility room?I have a high floor to ceiling and am considering placing the boiler on brackets over the door. Can this be done?

Thanks for any info.
    If the brackets are VERY strong, and the cleaning door(s) are on the front of the boiler (not the top) and the service engineer doesn't mind working on a ladder (and has somewhere to place the burner while he is cleaning out the boiler), and if you use a 2 pipe oil feed system, and run the water drain pipe down and out through the wall to a drain, and have air vents if the water pipes are directed down from the boiler, then there might not be a problem.
    EDIT: I would not do it !
    Edit again: But I would go for an oil condensing boiler !
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 finnbar

H
    Bout ye
    Having similar angest about wood pellet boiler. Talked to long est. heating firm who do install them but recently removed one for a customer who had had enough of non-lighting cold boiler. problems with damp supply, poor quality pellets leading to dust blocking valves. What do do for our eco home plans?
    Anyone love their wood pellet boiler?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 finnbar

H
    Bout ye
    Having similar angest about wood pellet boiler. Talked to long est. heating firm who do install them but recently removed one for a customer who had had enough of non-lighting cold boiler. problems with damp supply, poor quality pellets leading to dust blocking valves. What do do for our eco home plans?
    Anyone love their wood pellet boiler?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement