Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tyre pressure

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all, I know this feels like a ridiculous question that I really should know, but how do I tell what tyre pressure to have for my car? :confused:

Until recently I thought I was ment to put 44psi in them (as it says on tyre) but I now realise this is probably a max capacity as its quite a lot. Always thought the car felt too springy and now realise its probably dangerous when I put this amount in so I would really like to find out how much I should be using!

The car is an Opel Corsa '98 3dr which had larger wheels than standard when I bought it (195/50 R15).
    Any advice much appreciated lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually the correct tyre pressures are listed on the inside of the petrol flap, glove box lid or door pillar. Failing that, most service stations have a chart posted listing the pressure for most makes and models. In the meantime, I'd imagine 30psi all round will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rob185

But would the rather large tyres fitted to the car by previous owner not require a different pressure to the ones usually on a corsa?
    I have a Haynes manual for the car which doesn't list the tyre/wheel size I have and notes "Pressures are quoted for standard tyre fitments".
    I think you're right about using 30psi in the meantime though...is there any real safety concern in being a few psi above or below anyway?
    Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you tried contacting an Opel dealer and asking if they have a recommended pressure for the tyre size in question?

30psi is an average figure and may cause a marginal loss of grip in certain circumstances. It could also cause excessive tyre wear depending on what the correct pressure should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

They are usually in the car manual that comes with the car thats thrown in the glove box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Andrewf20 wrote:
    They are usually in the car manual that comes with the car thats thrown in the glove box.

If the car is second hand then the current owner may not have got one with the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

rob185 wrote:
    But would the rather large tyres fitted to the car by previous owner not require a different pressure to the ones usually on a corsa?
    I have a Haynes manual for the car which doesn't list the tyre/wheel size I have and notes "Pressures are quoted for standard tyre fitments".
    I think you're right about using 30psi in the meantime though...is there any real safety concern in being a few psi above or below anyway?
    Cheers :D
    Between 28 and 30psi is the average. By having over inflated tyres, you will cause excessive wear on the centre of the tyre. Your tyre also won't be as effective as it should be. 44psi while a good bit too high would not be catastrophic. As you said, bouncy ride is one symptom. If you can't find a recommendation for your size wheels, go with about 30psi. Try 28 for a week first, then 30, then maybe 32 and see if you notice a difference. You might find the tyres very slightly more effective at a certain pressure. 28psi on the back two would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If he hasn't got a manual (why is that BTW? where do all those car manuals disappear to?) there's usually a sticker somewhere on the car, either on one of the door posts, on the inside of the door or sometimes in the glovebox that shows them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Its usually written inside the door or inside the petrol cap

Advertisement