Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishbroadband problems?!?!?!

Options
  • 11-01-2007 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

IS anyone having problems with irishbroadband at the moment? i cant sign into msn or use yahoo.com, dunno what else is could be i dissconnected my router and all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Irish Broadband isn't working at all for me at the moment (Ripwave victim... sorry, customer here). It's funny, because the box is displaying good signal quality and strength, but just not connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

IS anyone having problems with irishbroadband at the moment? i cant sign into msn or use yahoo.com, dunno what else is could be i dissconnected my router and all...

crap i think your right.. i cant get into those sites you mentioned either and i just did a speed test and im only getting like 1.2 normally 2.9 :(
    hopefully this has nothing to do with the whole clearwire takeover thing... also maybe try the secondary dns? i dont have time at the moment but its an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Yeai can't get onto any microsoft sites (www.microsoft.com, MSN Messenger, etc). Getting my proper speeds and other sites seem to work fine. So either MS has a prob or IBB has a prob routing to MS servers. Yahoo.com isn't working either.

Edit: Ok I could telnet to google.ie and use GET to get index.html. Telneting to yahoo.com failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Im using www.opendns.com and there all working now :D just using as a temp fix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nice one. That's fixed it for me.

• Advertisement

Everything seems to be fine now again on the normal dns servers! msn is logging in and all the sites are working! and my speed is back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

My IBB was down all last night and still down when I left home this morning. Im in work now so i dont know if its back. Im in D15 but it has been very bad the last 2 weeks even when it was working. Back to massive packet loss with them again now.

wow i haver the exact same problem again today! msn not loggin in etc.. i just changed to opendns and everything is perfect now.. id even go so far as to say web sites load faster on this new dns server!

Thanks op for suggesting that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

Im using www.opendns.com and there all working now :D just using as a temp fix

ty for that, very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm on the Ballycoolin mast and having the same issues as the original poster. Gonna try OpenDNS.

++ update ++
    OpenDNS solves my issues too.

• Advertisement

Well my IBB has been down completely since thursday now. This is the longest ive had ano outage with them new record for them. It could be back today as im work now so I havent checked it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

If you can manually set the MTU size on the router, should see it on the page where you enter in your fixed IP's if it's not an option then you will have to use DrTCP
    it should be 1400 to 1460, it shouldn't be up at 1500.

This is a common problem i had a year ago or so. but it's alot to do with the router, but i still don't understand how is starts to cause errors, but try this is might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nightrider

Thanks a lot guys, Open DNS solved my problems, I live in Rathfarnham and I am quite happy with the connection...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

These DNS threads seem to be getting very common.

You should always have multiple DNS bound to your nic config.

Any chance of getting a sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi,
    As a matter of interest - do most companies not employ their own internal DNS servers?

Also, I *thought* most routers had some built-in DNS functions? Perhaps that only a relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

have ripwave in sandyford area and have switched to the open dns servers but still cannot get in to msn/hotmail.. everything else seems to be working ok

Well be happy ya can get some pages, my connection is dead for almost a week. I can get on the very odd time and I couldent get into hotmail so I think I had that DNS problem also. I get online for about 15 mins each day then my connection is dead altogether. Also I noticed a red light on my ariel any one else have a red light on their ariel. It used to be green, something tells me red lights are a bad thing.

Well be happy ya can get some pages, my connection is dead for almost a week. I can get on the very odd time and I couldent get into hotmail so I think I had that DNS problem also. I get online for about 15 mins each day then my connection is dead altogether. Also I noticed a red light on my ariel any one else have a red light on their ariel. It used to be green, something tells me red lights are a bad thing.

I had the exact same problem before.. an engineer need to come out and reset the settings in the radio.. i asked him to explain and he said that sometimes when the radio loses the signal from the mast it needs to be reset and reconfigured... all that involves is them plugging into their laptop from where your computer is and they fix it.

It could also mean that there is something blocking your los because the red light means no signal

Hmmm, thats what I was afraid of. Seems that Blanch shopping center just built a huge building and last week they put up their Elevator cages it could be a case of getting a higher ariel. It may explain why i sometimes get signal though very poor one at that. I may ring then cause I got no answer to my email I sent yesterday.

Advertisement