Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G all that important?

• 11-01-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hey, buying a new phone soon. I dont buy phones often, so wanna make sure I get one that will get the job done, and for as long as possible.

I really like the W810i, but in terms of future-proof (I know mobile phone technology gets better these days every 5 seconds but, you know what I mean) it doesn't have 3G. Can people see me running into problems 8-10 months down the line with this handset that doesn't support 3G?

Thanks for any advice! Another question: are all operators giving €120 call credit when you get a new phone, or is it just Vodafone and Meteor?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I really like the W810i, but in terms of future-proof (I know mobile phone technology gets better these days every 5 seconds but, you know what I mean) it doesn't have 3G. Can people see me running into problems 8-10 months down the line with this handset that doesn't support 3G?

It boils down to this - can you see yourself paying to download stuff to your phone? Stuff such as ringtones, games, video and music. What about video calls (how many of your friends/family have a video-capable phone?).

3G doesn't matter a damn when making phone calls, the big benefit is downloading. Is this important to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Your right! Probs pick it up tomorrow so. Meteor have it for €249 with €120 credit.

Works out better value than 02 at €239, with €90 credit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Your right!

Right on what count?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

data calls are too pricey, 1kb costs 1c(o2 prepay), so 1mb costs 10euro, fine for wap but visit a few html web pages and you'll easily use 1mb. 4mb=40euro, cant you get an unlimited (1 or 2 gb) data plan for that price. it a total rip off. i know o2 probably suck more than the other companies but yeah. i might actually use some data services if the pricing made any sense but the phone companies are just a bunch of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

eolhc wrote:
    data calls are too pricey,... i might actually use some data services if the pricing made any sense...

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just bought a 3g phone (K800i) but have the 3g featuers turned off.

All I use the phone for is calls/texts camera and radio.

Dont know any one else with a 3g phone so video calls are not important but if data was cheaper I would use it the odd time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If you buy it through Pigsback.com you get 10% back in piggypoints from O2. Might be worth it!

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

eolhc wrote:
    data calls are too pricey, 1kb costs 1c(o2 prepay), so 1mb costs 10euro, fine for wap but visit a few html web pages and you'll easily use 1mb. 4mb=40euro, cant you get an unlimited (1 or 2 gb) data plan for that price. it a total rip off. i know o2 probably suck more than the other companies but yeah. i might actually use some data services if the pricing made any sense but the phone companies are just a bunch of idiots.
    voda and meteor are 2c/kb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

To me 3G is very important. So much so that even though I think the iPhone is great, I won't consider getting one until it has 3G support.

I'd never get a phone without 3G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ecco

3G must be out about 3 years now when it first came out I thought all new phones within a year would be 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

When it comes to data transfer rates, I can't say i've noticed any big difference between 2.5G and 3G, either on O2 or Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For me the 3g benefit must be nipping in an ebay auction closing just at the right moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

eolhc wrote:
    data calls are too pricey, 1kb costs 1c(o2 prepay), so 1mb costs 10euro,

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Christ I'm glad I'm in Finland for once!! :D

4euro for every 25MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

eolhc wrote:

Yes I agree - they would have the market for BB cornered in Ireland if they had done an uncapped (within reason) 3G broadband service with instructions how to plug your phone into your PC for 29.99 p.m. plus there are 1000's of applications that would suddenly become possible. Instead they are happy with the fanatics who are prepared to pay 1c / kb. Be cheaper to fly / drive in person with a USB stick than that !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

er the w810i is 3g

Tony_ire wrote:
    er the w810i is 3g
    no its not

deman wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Christ I'm glad I'm in Finland for once!! :D

4euro for every 25MB.

That type of price makes sense. With most new phones having web browsers built in, its a pity it's too expensive to use them here. the k800 has a nice built in rss reader, but again i wonder if anybody here uses it. I think the way the phone companies think, is that kids won't check how much it costs to download a ringtone, so they're happy to make their money ripping kids off, and then there are a certain number of people will need it for business and don't have much choice, so they make money off an expensive monthly conract with them. I'd be happy spending a tenner a month for 25-50mb of mobile web browsing if it was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Apart from their poxy-ass white listing crap, 3 is quite good value for mobile web browsing. Seeing as this is what 3G is good at, it's boggles ones mind as to why they limit it.

Operators generally don't charge for the data aspect of premium content downloads (like ringtones).

Blaster99 wrote:
    Apart from their poxy-ass white listing crap, 3 is quite good value for mobile web browsing. Seeing as this is what 3G is good at, it's boggles ones mind as to why they limit it.

Operators generally don't charge for the data aspect of premium content downloads (like ringtones).

I think if you're buying a ringtone off a third party, they make money off maybe a premium rate number and then the operator gets the gprs money for download, but yeah i'd say your right about there being different systems

I've been looking at 3, and would be interested in trying them out, but can you buy a pay as you go sim, or do you have to buy a pricey phone to get started, the website doesnt make it clear. Not really interested in any contract stuff

eolhc wrote:
    can you buy a pay as you go sim,
    no
    eolhc wrote:
    do you have to buy a pricey phone to get started
    not a pricey one. the cheapest is 69 euro

• Advertisement

no

not a pricey one. the cheapest is 69 euro

thanks, i guess you get 80 credit with that so not too bad, on the website when you get into the 69e phone and click on buy it now, it brings up a list of phones the cheapest being 120e. i guess you need to buy in store (or by phone)

again sorry for all the questions, i've cheacked the 3 info sheet about charges and it doesnt seem to give any general data charges, like so much per kb, only that they provide some content thats free and some you pay for. If anyone has more details and is it worth trying them out or is the service still too limiting? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

O2 have data tariffs for bill pay customers

€5 buys 1MB and €1/MB thereafter or
    €9.99 for 10MB and €1/MB thereafter or
    €19.99 for 25MB and €1/MB thereafter or

Data Card Lite (incremental charging but no monthly charge) or
    Data Card Mega 2GB limit for €40+VAT per month

eolhc wrote:
    thanks, i guess you get 80 credit with that so not too bad, on the website when you get into the 69e phone and click on buy it now, it brings up a list of phones the cheapest being 120e. i guess you need to buy in store (or by phone)

again sorry for all the questions, i've cheacked the 3 info sheet about charges and it doesnt seem to give any general data charges, like so much per kb, only that they provide some content thats free and some you pay for. If anyone has more details and is it worth trying them out or is the service still too limiting? thanks
    you have to top up by ten a month to keep getting that credit. the cheapest is the lg u8360. i don't think you fully understand how 3's internet works. there are no per kb charges. they have their own walled garden where you can download ringtones and sports highlights etc and everything has a price on it, most of the prices being €0 but you can't get outside that to the regular internet

Okay, not being able to get out of the garden :) to the full internet sounds bad

And lfc1892 since you need to paying a monthly contract, i don't think any of the data tarriffs/plans are good value, at least for me who doesnt want to use the phone for much phone calls or even that much texting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

3 has a whitelist of allowed external sites. I don't think it's published anywhere but if you want unlimited access to mobile internet sites, 3 is not for you. Luckily for me, a lot of the stuff that I'm looking at is on their whitelist so it doesn't really bother me all that much. You get one hour's free use per day and their other charges are moderate.

Advertisement