Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Boulder 07

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Its been a long time since I was on a Bike the pedaling kind that is but would like advice as to how good the Giant Boulder is and would it be worth spending a bit more. I think the most abuse I would give it would be Dublin roads and maybe the odd trail. Any recommendations in the €300-€400 bracket would be appreciated.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=240&idproduct=11303

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I got one of these in October for my short-ish commute (30 mins approx) in Dublin, and it does the job. Gears & brakes are very slick, and driving position in comfortable, though at 6'3", I could do with another inch or two of height on the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

RainyDay wrote:
    I got one of these in October for my short-ish commute (30 mins approx) in Dublin, and it does the job. Gears & brakes are very slick, and driving position in comfortable, though at 6'3", I could do with another inch or two of height on the handlebars.

Thanks for the reply RainyDay, It may just do the job for Me so.
    I really only want a bike to try and get in shape again and I'm not sure exactly
    what I want and walking into a bike shop is just mind boggling. I do like the sound of going off road like the meet in the Phoenix Park last week sounds fun, I'd sooner that than cycling 70 miles across country...

Question to the lads that do some off road is will the Giant Boulder be up to it
    or will it fall apart?

Any recommendations in the €400 price range appreciated, I'm open to suggestions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My daily commute includes a short (1/2 mile) stretch over grass & down a grassy slope, and the Boulder is certainly up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

what off road style you planning ? xc/ dh / all mountain ? seems a bit fragile for DH and may be a bit heavy for the climbs! digging up about 200 -300 more you will get a great Kona / Giant ...

Go out to superstore ask for Eamon and he will give you great advice! Also a proper measure up and whatnot are important!

(btw cycling is good for fitness but you need to be pushing the miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have a look at www.chainreactioncycles.com
    They have some really good deals, I just picked up a full susp. GT for SFA.

Free next day delivey too.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote:
    Have a look at www.chainreactioncycles.com
    They have some really good deals, I just picked up a full susp. GT for SFA.

Free next day delivey too.

I like the look of this bike and maybe somebody with more knowledge can
    let me know if its a good buy.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10832

Also what size would I need, I'm 6'0 would I be better with the 19" or 21"

Thanks in advance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I just ordered this one today, massive savings at CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10831
    I had my eye on that one too. Free 24hr dhl delivery with them.

Frame size is related to leg length, which can vary (i.e. 2 6ft guys may need different frames). I have relatively short legs, 5'11' but my jeans are a 30" leg.

Here is a calculator
    http://www.totalbike.com/service/frame_size.php

I have a 19" hybrid and my new MTB is 17". You generally go for a smaller frame MTB than you would for a road bike, I would imagine the 19" would suit you, perhaps go to a shop and sit on a few.

A MTB is a good choice for staying fit. They are less efficient but far more comfortable so you enjoy the cycle more at a leisurely pace. I have my hybrid for commuting and will use the MTB at weekends where speed is not a concern and I do go off road a little.

The bike you linked has "lockout" forks. This means you can turn the suspension off, this can be done on the road to make the bike more efficient, since energy is wasted through suspension. The one I got has no lockout, it is not really an issue for me, but if it was my only bike I would want it as a feature.

ruprect wrote:
    I just ordered this one today, massive savings at CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10831
    I had my eye on that one too. Free 24hr dhl delivery with them.

Frame size is related to leg length, which can vary (i.e. 2 6ft guys may need different frames). I have relatively short legs, 5'11' but my jeans are a 30" leg.

Here is a calculator
    http://www.totalbike.com/service/frame_size.php

I have a 19" hybrid and my new MTB is 17". You generally go for a smaller frame MTB than you would for a road bike, I would imagine the 19" would suit you, perhaps go to a shop and sit on a few.

A MTB is a good choice for staying fit. They are less efficient but far more comfortable so you enjoy the cycle more at a leisurely pace. I have my hybrid for commuting and will use the MTB at weekends where speed is not a concern and I do go off road a little.

The bike you linked has "lockout" forks. This means you can turn the suspension off, this can be done on the road to make the bike more efficient, since energy is wasted through suspension. The one I got has no lockout, it is not really an issue for me, but if it was my only bike I would want it as a feature.

I preferred the spec on the one You bought Myself, 80mm travel on the forks and double butted frame sounds better.
    You will have to let Me know how big the 17" frame looks, My inseam is only 32" and I'm wondering if the 17" would do Me too. I'd prefer the 19" but if You think the 17" looks big when You get it I might just go with it too.

Let Me know what Ya think

Dubsmax wrote:
    I preferred the spec on the one You bought Myself, 80mm travel on the forks and double butted frame sounds better.
    Well the components will be better since it is the same brand yet the retail is £100 more, yet is only £50 more on CRC.
    I checked out those forks before buying too. They can be easily converted to 100mm travel (and are made to be convertible). On another review site every single person recommended converting to 100mm and found a vast improvement.

I will let you know about frame size when I get it.

ruprect wrote:
    Well the components will be better since it is the same brand yet the retail is £100 more, yet is only £50 more on CRC.
    I checked out those forks before buying too. They can be easily converted to 100mm travel (and are made to be convertible). On another review site every single person recommended converting to 100mm and found a vast improvement.

I will let you know about frame size when I get it.

I went for the 19" in this Model

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10832

10832.jpg

I bought it online Yesterday and just got an Email this evening to say it has been shipped

Did You get a delivery from them Yet Yourself?

• Advertisement

I got the bike Today by DHL and have to say I'm very happy with it. Mountain Bikes seem to have come on by leaps and bounds in the last 15 Years since I last owned one. Went out for a half hour spin Today and it feels light but not been on a saddle for a long time takes some gettin used to..:eek:

Got mine last thursday. Frame size suits me fine 17", my inside leg is 32" from top inside to the ground. You are probably better off with the lockout on yours. Goes faster on the road than I thought it would, and is like a tank going over potholes!

Advertisement