Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wire free alarm

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have to install a wirefree alarm and am looking for advice on suppliers. Got a quote from eircom phonewatch and it was exorbatant. Dont really want to pay for it to be monitored. Just want a wirefree system that is competitively priced. Can anybody recommend a company to supply and fit? I am in Kildare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gerald€

I can assure you they're easy to fit, why not get down your DIY store:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

Hi AJL,

unfortunatly Phonewatch have exclusitivity with there wireless system so you cant buy it over the counter,i can recoment a CS250 Panel with wirefree receiver which will take up to 18 detectors.
    Most companies will install these but wirefree systems are much more expensive.
    Let me know how many detectors ie doors and windows you have and i can tell you how much it will cost,i can get a guy to call you to fit this system if you are interested,how much did phonewatch price you

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Phonewatch will quote you over the phone based on how many windows and doors you have.
    I got one of these quotes over the phone and ended up having a phonewatch rep call to the door selling me a much smaller package, basically the 3 doors covered and 3 pir's which covers the downstairs living area (open plan), hall and upstairs landing. This plus 3 years monotoring (all paid monthly) will cost about half what the original quote over the phone would have cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

How do you mean Eircom are doing a "wire free" system? Last year,
    the info I got from Eircom sales reps was that you needed a land-line going to your address for Eircom to monitor it.

BTW, the original quote from Eircom was €800, but that dropped to €700 by calling a few more times, haggling and so forth. A basic Eircom landlines comes out at about €30 a month and the monitored alarm is about €20 a month. Not cheap.

Does anyone know of a cheaper monitered service?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

donaghs wrote:
    How do you mean Eircom are doing a "wire free" system? Last year,
    the info I got from Eircom sales reps was that you needed a land-line going to your address for Eircom to monitor it.

What he means by wirefree alarm is that the various alarm sensors (Magnetic Contacts, PIRS, etc.) are connected to the Alarm box wirelessly. So if your home isn't wired for an alarm, you don't have to go to all the expense and mess of installing wires. It hasn't anything to do with how the alarm communicates with Eircom, which is over landline as you say.
    donaghs wrote:
    A basic Eircom landlines comes out at about €30 a month

€24 odd actually.
    donaghs wrote:
    Does anyone know of a cheaper monitered service?

I'm looking for one myself and a system that operates over GSM (mobile phone network) rather then landline as my apartment, doesn't have an Eircom landline (Smart fibre optic VoIP phone line instead).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

Thanks folks for the info.
    Gerald did you fit your own wirefree alarm? Where did you get it?

Advertisement