Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit By Joyriders

Options
  • 11-01-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

the other night my girlfriend's dad was on his was home from work, he was coming over a bridge and joyriders hit his car, they had no lights on or anything. they drove off and he was so shocked he didn't get make or model of their car. Is there any way to get damages from this other than go through your own insurance? Any info would be greatly appreciated for him.. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

might be worth making an enquiry with the motors insurers bureau, I think they are based in Molesworth St, they basically compensate people who have suffered injury or damage at the hands of uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Thanks a million didn't even know they existed, got their number of their website and will pass it on tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

No bother, but make sure he reported the incident to the guards to strengthen his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

But dont expect the money soon. It may take years

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

happened me in 2000.bureau only paid personal injuries.i had to claim off my insurance for the car. if it happened on the way from work his prsi will cover medical expenses .but all this takes years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As I understand it, the insurance companies have an agreement with the MIB. If you have comprehensive insurance, you can claim off it without losing your NCB and your insurance company will then recoup their money from the MIB.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't you need a reg to claim off the MIB

Great will see how he gets on today when he calls them

they cant help him cos he had no personal injuries. Thanks for the replies though

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

kbannon wrote:
    Don't you need a reg to claim off the MIB

Yep !

If you're hit by an untraced motorist you have to claim off your own policy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

DaveD wrote:
    Yep !

If you're hit by an untraced motorist you have to claim off your own policy.

Yep, unfortunately this is the case as it would be too easy to scam otherwise. Happened my wife, woman swerved infront of her, smashed up the car and just legged it. :mad: My wife was shocked and concerned about our son in the back of the car - she only got part of the reg.

Suppose that's what insurance is there for at the end of the day, but I'll never understand how some peoples' minds work.

yeh it's crap though, when you've built up a big NCB and it's not protected.:mad:

Advertisement