Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating the terms of a lease?

Options
  • 12-01-2007 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello everyone.

Myself and two friends have found an ideal apartment from Daft.ie which we veiwed last week. It suits our needs and our price range and is an upmarket apartment.

We are going through an agency. i.e. havn't met the landlord. We must provide three references, former landlord, bank and workplace which is no problem, however, we cannot commit to a 12 month lease as two of us are going travelling at the end of August. On the web listing and over the phone we were told it was a 12 month lease.

Is it possible to negotiate the length of a lease? Or will the agency flat out refuse on behalf of the owner? Will they even tell the owner? The apartment has been on the web page for 9 months now. The price has dropped three times over the course of this and although completed as a new development 18 months ago this paticular apartment still has yet to have first tenants.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter from anyone, how should we bring up the matter with the agency? Flat out ask them for 6 months?

Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would say they might refuse - they may be looking at a 12-month lease with a view to a rolling lease. The owner may specifically want a long-term renter, for his own sake.

There's also the chance that they would negotiate three separate leases for yourselves. The downside here is that when the two of you head off travelling, your mate may be stuck with two new housemates he doesn't like, and without any say in moving them in.

Flat-out ask the agency though. You don't really have anything to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask them can you replace tenants with suitable alternatives as things go along. Most landlords are agreeable and understanding of this.

Advertisement