Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experimental Composer Seeks Core Group

Options
  • 12-01-2007 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm Looking to form an Avant Populist Instrumental Group, any takers?

I am a student of music in my final year. I am looking to form a modern ensemble. I have played in a number of groups but have found them to be too dissonant blinkered often dull and bound in red tape.

My background is actually in experimental rock and popular music of a Frank Zappa/Brian Eno sort of ilk but I draw equally from experimental classical (Reich, Glass, Messiaen, Birtwistle, Nancarrow etc..). I am not one of these guys that relies on purely improvised elements (I still value a melody). Fact is, I enjoy using processes such as canons or generative

You have to be able to read music (a little anyhow or at least have a good ability to learn parts from a recording/charts/tab) but I'm not Boulez, I like to see my idea through to the end as I imagine it but I am quite open to input.

It will be an interesting experience playing my stuff as it can be challenging and expressive (one element would be improvisation closer to the rock ideal, i.e. over a set backdrop). I haven't felt particularly comfortable performing in some classical venues (I play guitar mostly which renders me mentally deficient by most classical people's yardstick) as it can be a bit stuffy, the audience is not encouraged to express themselves and are intimidated to the point that they believe the junk they are sometimes subjected to is over there heads when in fact it is just junk.

Anyhow, I am open to every kind of player (my stuff is very malleable) and instruments, percussive/electronic/stringed/wind etc. I would really enjoy a mix between jazz, classical and rock musicians. Often rock musicians underestimate their worth in a group such as the one I'm proposing and feel they would be overshadowed (and patronised) by those with classical knowledge. Remember my background was rock (and actually metal originally when I was a teenager) I studied classical music at third level so that I might learn to write my ideas down. Now that I have that skill I wish to exploit it (and your skills!).

Of course I would love to form a large group (10 players plus) but in the past I found this to be impractical. Instead I want to form a core unit of about 5 or 6 players and bring in auxiliaries where required so people are welcome to inquire if they only want to take part on occasion.

The material performed will be primarily my own (and my own arrangements of existing music) but I would enjoy playing pieces by other composers within the group. The group will largely instrumental but should vocalist be interested they are very welcome as auxiliaries.

Of course I know that the blend of instrumentation is just as important as the music itself and it is most likely that rehersal time will mostly consist of experienting with that aspect.

That's about it for now. Perhaps I should like a megalomaniac but ask yourself, isn't that what a mature group needs. I have been in many bands for years (I am now 29) and found it creatively and expressively unrewarding. Any of you who have been in a group will know the pain of playing the same **** over and over so that someone can 'jam' the right bass line or whatever only to forget it by the next time. I believe in maximising time spent together as a group and believe in proposing projects and pieces that are complete.

What's in it for you? I dunno, but if you like the idea of getting on stage, be it in a stinking rock venue or the national gallery and playing accomplished, challenging (but not hard for the sake of it) and original music then let me know. One thing I don't want is to promise anything but nor do I plan to waste your time. You only have to go to a few gigs to realise the interest a group would like this would have based purely on its unconventional instrumentation regardless of the quality of music so I am confident that gigs would not be a problem. I also have the technical means to record and would very much enjoy that aspect.

I believe it is possible to be in a group and not have to give up your whole life to do it. In fact, if done right, a five hour session with players who read is roughly equal to a lifetime with any rock outfit I've been invovled with but I admit we were pretty lousy.

I am not at all fussy about the age etc.. of players, come one, come all.

Think it over,

BGF

p.s. I probably should have said this already but I have a myspace which has some stuff on it (I change the material as I work on new things) and pictures of yours truely etc.

www.myspace.com/briangflynn

p.p.s. I would be glad to meet anyone if time allows but should say I am in the last few months of my music degree so it may take a little time while to get it all together but when we start it will be swift and steady (I want to come out of that sucker swinging.)

Advertisement