Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to tell if a guy is interested

• 12-01-2007 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

How I tell if a guy likes me, apparently it's if he talks to me for more than 5 min, according to some other thread somewhere.

But how do I tell if he likes me for my mind or for my body? Ideally someone will like a person for both, but hey, it's not an ideal world out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Hmm interesting thread. Never seen anything like this on PI before. Anyway to be honest if a guy talks to u for more than 5 mins he more than likely fancies ya.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ask him*

*Oh, you could listen to all the chatter about how to tell, but everyone is different. No guy is a clone. OK, just for fun, I will add to the chatter. There is some research (cannot remember the citation...maybe Psychology Today) that suggests that when he looks at you, if his pupils dilate (get larger), then he likes what he sees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Lorax wrote:
    Hmm interesting thread. Never seen anything like this on PI before. Anyway to be honest if a guy talks to u for more than 5 mins he more than likely fancies ya.

Or alternatively whatever you're talking about is something he actually finds interesting and wants to talk about it. Heaven forbid guys actually have things that they're interested in talking about ... :rolleyes:

And women accuse guys of being two dimensional. "OMG loike he's soooo totally into me loike. He actually said "hello" and then I was loike omg wow isn't this the greatest and then I was loike "oh, hello. Didn't notice you there" and he was loike "I hadn't noticed 'cause I was looking at last night's footie scores in the paper there" and I'm loike "wowww omg I just sooo love football don't you?" and he was loike .. etc."

Jesus, get a grip.

How about checking if he's wearing jeans and a woolly hat. Sure sign that he fancies you. Oh, oh, not to forget, check to see if he's wearing stripy socks. If he does then you're well in there ... *cough*

Ok, hang on to your seats as I throw a wild and radical idea out there ... I realise that this might be a bit much for some people to take on board. Just ask the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How I tell if a guy likes me, apparently it's if he talks to me for more than 5 min, according to some other thread somewhere.
    Oh I don't think so. Unless I'm the only male on the planet that this rule doesn't apply to and I rather doubt this is the case
    But how do I tell if he likes me for my mind or for my body?
    If it's one of those frisky nightclub meetings that are apparently all the rage these days, if some randomer you've hitherto never met comes over to you and talks to you and fancies you (see above) it's unlikely to be because you share an interest in 16th century Polish poetry as he won't be able to tell merely by your gait and haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

i talk to like everyone...im the type of person who says hi to randomers on the street when i walk by them...i talk to loads of girls when im out! and like...that means nothing! mabey ill like some, but i wont only talk to a girl i like! i talk to them all(as long as they are nice ppl like)...i say like alot..:P just realised that...:P u want to know if a guy likes you? just ask him! if you want to know if a guy likes ur personality..well it should be very obious realy! if his only interest is getting in you pants...and he avoids conversation with you and times when your not scoring or whatever...then he likely is only in it for a physical! but then again there could be exceptions to this...you realy have to judge it yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

DONT listen to blue_lagoon, asking him is such a dumb idea its unbelievable.. if u ask him you put him on the spot, if he does like you:
    - you could scare him off because its like getting dragged into a relationship if you say yes :P
    - he might think that by telling you he does, the chase is over and the spark will just fizzle away.. it happens when u say that kind of thing :P
    - he might get the feeling that your some kind of attention whore that just flat out wants to know if he thinks your hot, happens all the time and i hate it.. girl will say somethin like 'do you think im pretty?' or some **** and i just feel like tellin them to fo :P

IF he doesnt like you:
    - hes gonna toss you into the friend zone and say somethin stupid like 'ofcoursee i loveeee you' and give u a big hug'
    - hes gonna get all nervous and not know what to say because he doesnt want to hurt your feelings
    - (if hes kinda dumb-which alot of guys are in these situations :P) he might go 'NOO WAY' or somethin to that effect..

either way your feelings will get hurt with the bottom 3...

your best off just letting things sort themselves out.. and dont be dependant on this 1 guy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

How about just wait and see? I'm not sure why you need to know if this chap fancies you...if he does, you'll know when he's good and ready to let you know, he might be checking you out first, getting to know you a bit better. If you are smart enough you will know if he likes you for your body or if its for your mind...possibly both. If he doesn't, well then you might be making the best friend you'll ever have, who knows?
    Call me romantic, but what's wrong with just allowing things to develop naturally and unforced...If you want to scare the bejaysus out of him, then ask him straight out!

My advice, for what it's worth, chill and enjoy his company and see what happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

This is funny! I always assumed us blokes were fairly obvious when it comes to being interested in the hunnies!

Having said that I never know when a girl is interested in me or not (generally they aint as I am an ugly fecker) but its often my friends or their friends that have to tell me to "open my eyes".

If the guy keeps looking at you then he is generally interested I would assume!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Flirt. See what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

But how do I tell if he likes me for my mind or for my body? Ideally someone will like a person for both, but hey, it's not an ideal world out there.

If you like the guy, make a move. Then you'll know for sure. Sure, there is the risk he'll not be interested but then risks are what make life worth living (especially when you win).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

he probably likes you for your body, but only by taking you out can he find out if he likes you for your mind too.
    physical attraction is the start of everything.
    a guy is hardy going to chat up a girl he doesn't find physically attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Feel his bum , simple but effective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'what hints does he give if he wants to kiss you?xxxxxx staring at lips?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

another q wrote:
    'what hints does he give if he wants to kiss you?xxxxxx staring at lips?'

:o I do that, not on purpose though I just find myself looking at her lips :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

i) You must be quite young.

ii) does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

greine wrote:
    How about just wait and see?
    wrong, thats how you end up a lonely old spinster with hundereds of cats. make it obvious you like him, very obvious. fact is men fancy most anything thats going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

ferdi wrote:
    fact is men fancy most anything thats going.

this is a load of poo! not true at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A) Shag him. If he's still interested five minutes after the shag, he likes you.

B) Suggest going to the Picasso Exhibition at the National Art Gallery. If he says yes, he'd love to, he just wants you for your body.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    A) Shag him. If he's still interested five minutes after the shag, he likes you.

B) Suggest going to the Picasso Exhibition at the National Art Gallery. If he says yes, he'd love to, he just wants you for your body.

lmao best advice Ive ever seen here.

Guys dont fancy women for their minds at least not untill way into the relationship, sure they can think a woman is interresting however thinking a woman is interesting has never made me want to shag them.

As regards wanting you for your bady . . . . . . . if he talks to you for more than 5 mins your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Pablo-El-Vagabu

sceptre wrote:
    16th century Polish poetry

THE MUSE

I sing to myself and the Muses! Who on earth
    Would like to please his heart with my melodious airs?
    Who wouldn't rather use this time to look after gain,
    Grasping small change everywhere, perhaps not in vain.
    For what profit from poems besides hollow ring?
    But he who has money, has hold of everything
    His is power, his are laws, his are offices;
    He is handsome, well-spoken, he takes best places.
    It is not strange that people chase after gold hence,
    While the poet, sans listeners,. plays behind the fence,
    Competing with crickets, which over meadow grounds
    Bid welcome to the warm summer with their loud rounds.
    And yet I have this hope that many years away
    My wakeful nights will not be left without repay;
    And what the present time takes while I still live by,
    Later age will richly reward after I die.
    For fair Latona's son' foresaw it long ago
    That the ashes of my bones would not be laid low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

Not sure bout liking the mind/body thing. But yea if he talks for over 5 mins hes def attracted. The best way to realise if a guy likes u is if he smiles when he talks to u, makes an extra effort to be nice to u, asks about u and how u are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

other thread somewhere.

But how do I tell if he likes me for my mind or for my body?
    If you know him for less than three months - body! TBH It's probably gonna be body. You want it to be body. Sooner or later he'll come around to the idea of your mind, but if he doesn't like your body to begin with ... well, you can see where I'm going with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

comewatmay wrote:
    Not sure bout liking the mind/body thing. But yea if he talks for over 5 mins hes def attracted. The best way to realise if a guy likes u is if he smiles when he talks to u, makes an extra effort to be nice to u, asks about u and how u are
    Not true. even the shallowest guys can have hidden agenda's - contractual obligations, if you will. If his mate is talking to your friend, it's 50/50. If you're friends with someone he does fancy, he will talk to you indefinitely. If you are talking about Man Utd, or how much he can bench press, and he's doing most of it, then he just wants to talk - to anyone.
    If, on the other hand, he listens, laughs, gets shy, makes cheesy jokes - for more than five minutes - then he fancies you.

Advertisement