Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Commander Game Intro Out

Options
  • 12-01-2007 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2765

it looks brilliant but its no total annihilation intro
    still tho this game along with "Mass Effect" and "CnC 3 Tiberian Wars" are going to have me well happy for many many Many months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They couldnt of made that intro more boreing if they tried

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

yes they could have, this game is shaping up to be more about the story which is more important and interesting than the action

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

User45701 wrote:
    yes they could have, this game is shaping up to be more about the story which is more important and interesting than the action

Oh ya ! great storie the ebal humans vrs cyborgs and some alien loveing space hippy's :confused: this isnt a Rpg the "action" is all important in a rts im not looking for final fantasy with robot's and tank's....

Also the intro is still awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if and when there might be a demo out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

User45701 wrote:
    Are you kidding o_O

The action is far more important to a game like this.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if and when there might be a demo out?

Its already out supreme commander beta on fileplanet
    bizmark wrote:
    Oh ya ! great storie the ebal humans vrs cyborgs and some alien loveing space hippy's :confused: this isnt a Rpg the "action" is all important in a rts im not looking for final fantasy with robot's and tank's....

Also the intro is still awful.

Actually CnC has a great story which is the main reason i love the game(s) so very very much
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Are you kidding o_O

The action is far more important to a game like this.

Na id pick story over action, i find it easier to get lost in a game that has a good story if its just pointless build base destroy enemy is with no feeling either way who wins or no loyalty to any side i find i lose interest in a game within a week.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The beta is effectively a demo and anyone can download it. You can't play it online without a key but you can play against the AI by adding some parameters to the cmd line. The game is absolutely awesome. Best RTS ever made. Nukes - thats all I have to say.

If you want to have a look for yourself, there's info over at www.darkkeep.com on how to play it - I cba typing it out again.

Maximilian wrote:
    there's info over at www.darkkeep.com on how to play it

theres 16 tutorial movies that teach you how to play for download at gametrailers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

what kinda system requirements are we looking at ?

It looks amazing but I'm wondering too how my AMD 4000+ and 7900gt are going to handle it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

It looks amazing but I'm wondering too how my AMD 4000+ and 7900gt are going to handle it?
    Well if you are worried then my athlon64 3400+, 1gig ram and 6800gt doesnt stand a chance :( I plan on doing a large upgrade to a dx10 card and vista later this year but wouldnt mind a few games of this till then :D

im doing a massive update new monitor new grafix card new ram maybe new processor as well not sure. **** it i might just take out a loan and go al out!

i mean so many good games coming out like cnc 3 and supreme commander.
    Also i relay hope mass effect comes out on the pc after x-box like kotor did.

actually i hope that there is a kotor 3 another reason to update my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really liked it! Very good CGI. I'd like if the actual fighting part towards the end was TEN TIMES longer, but what is there was very cool.

My favourite bit was when the cyborg ship was taking off, damn they made that thing look big. "Weighty". Eve could do with some of that sense of scale.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well its running pretty nicely on my core duo but the gfx can be scaled down, so most people should be able to run it. I think RAM is probably the critical thing.

Um..you do all realise you could be playing the beta now, don't you? Its well worth the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    Well if you are worried then my athlon64 3400+, 1gig ram and 6800gt doesnt stand a chance :(
    I can play 1v1's well on my 2.16GHz AthlonXP, 1gig DDR 333MHz RAM, and 9600XT, I can get away with 2v2's to a degree, but it can get laggy in the mid game when theres millions of tech 2 tanks on the march.

Anyone know any (fast) links for d/l the beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its closed now so you'll have to get it from a less repitable source :/

I see...
    Anyway I hear this will have dual screen support, has anyone got it working yet in the beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I see...
    Anyway I hear this will have dual screen support, has anyone got it working yet in the beta?
    Yup, if you press either Home or End, cant remember which, but it splits the screen in two down the middle, I dont have a dual screen set up, but Id imagine thats how its done. It works a charm even with 1 screen though, lets you have a screen back at base at all times, while keeping an eye on the fight, I use it anytime Im fighting so I can keep the builders working without having to leave the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

*psst*

how does one activate the AI on the beta...

someone said you just put some command lines onto the exe.

wanna give this a try.

more to see if I can run it then anything else :D

• Advertisement

i was not able to get the AI to run either :(

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

thats a big hmmm

I found you can use a sandbox mode so I gave it a go just to see how it plyed on my computer.

well I know I aint probably gonna be able to play this...it ran ok but the graphics were turned down so much that it looked identicle to Total annihalation :D

But the side I picked didnt appeal to me and I found the controls a bit fidgity, the hud was excessively huge and the units for the most part underwhealming and apart from its sheer scale veyr little of the game stood out as anything revolutionary.

The main thing that had me impressed throughout the game was the streamlined resources which actually told you if you were producing more resources then you were building which I found more effective then the headache inducing multiple resources in COH...but I'm not even sure if this resource management wasnt in TA.

But the fact that I had to open up a radar map (despite the huge hud) and I couldnt move around the map by clicking on it is a huge step backwards.

Which is when it hit me...This is TA made bigger, alot bigger...but its still TA which is a 10 year old game by now at least?

I'll give it a few more goes...I liked TA, just it never engrossed me completely as much as it did others. I always found there were too many units and it didnt have a definite atmosphere like the C+C/Homeworld games. The unit design doesnt appeal to me so far.

But like I said thats from one go and it wasnt even with other players much, but I'll look into more, its just not making a really big impact with me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i got the ai working, i just got a copy from my cousins & he had a patch with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    The main thing that had me impressed throughout the game was the streamlined resources which actually told you if you were producing more resources then you were building which I found more effective then the headache inducing multiple resources in COH...but I'm not even sure if this resource management wasnt in TA.

TA told you when you had minus income so yeah. At least you can toggle a hud option to see what's taking your resources, you can find the offending unit/s and turn them off.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    But the fact that I had to open up a radar map (despite the huge hud) and I couldnt move around the map by clicking on it is a huge step backwards.

You sure? I'm fairly sure I was able to do that. What version of the beta do you have?
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Which is when it hit me...This is TA made bigger, alot bigger...but its still TA which is a 10 year old game by now at least?

TA with better graphics and bigger maps... and bigger explosions, what's not to like. Didn't the commander unit give it away? (and no airplane builders! NNNNIIIIIEEEEENNNNN! I loved them) TA might be old but concepts don't go stale.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I'll give it a few more goes...I liked TA, just it never engrossed me completely as much as it did others. I always found there were too many units

Less units in this one. :) although you won't win with a never ending tide of tech 1 bots like in TA.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    it didnt have a definite atmosphere like the C+C/Homeworld games. The unit design doesnt appeal to me so far.

There's no story to play yet hence no atmostphere. Niether of those games would have as good an atmosphere if the story wasn't layed down in single player.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    But like I said thats from one go and it wasnt even with other players much, but I'll look into more, its just not making a really big impact with me at the moment.

Sandbox is boring, play other people :) after all, it's a multiplayer beta. The lag gets bad sometimes though :/ my first game turned in to a slide show. Although I've turned down the graphics now.

how do I check which version of the beta I have...i'm guessing I have an old one.
    TA with better graphics and bigger maps... and bigger explosions, what's not to like. Didn't the commander unit give it away? (and no airplane builders! NNNNIIIIIEEEEENNNNN! I loved them) TA might be old but concepts don't go stale.

Like I said I fell into a small minority of people who enjoyed TA but didnt rate it as the greatest RTS of its time. So while its note stale I do find myself looking to other modern RTS (the most prominant being Relic's Company of Heroes) which have introduced so many new features.

-One aspect I felt that really needed attention was base building which has become a burdon in RTS today with the choice of either cutting them completely (ala Ground Control) or redesigning how they work. Personnally I have a distaste towards having builder units, the original C+C model allowed for easy base building but has difficulties dealing with an expanding tech tree (though the RA2 solution was a good comprimise) and Company of Heroes combining a combat unit with base building (not to mention the minimilst number of buildings, and excellent sand bag/tank traps feature) was good, but base building there required alot of work from the developers on the map itself where is the gamer cant design his own defence but use the one intended at specific points on the map. Supreme Commander felt like a huge leap backwards in the way of base building from what I experianced. Hopefully it just needs to be fleshed out a bit more.

A few other things to check.

-DO you still get wreckages in this one? Cause I blew a few bases up with my battleship (I love games that allow battleships :D) and they didnt leave smolduring ruins...I also sunk a few of my own ships to see no wrecks in the sea.

-Is there armour variants? Is it more effective to hit units from certain directions (from behind etc?) or is it more of a matter of shooting first?
    There's no story to play yet hence no atmostphere. Niether of those games would have as good an atmosphere if the story wasn't layed down in single player.

I'd agree there to an extent, but I also feel the design and structure of each army gives alot to the atmosphere (and the maps). And like I said the side I picked I really didnt like the design of its buildings or its units, but thats a matter of personal taste...they were the side with the giant robot as its tech 4 tank and they build everything by liquid metal I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

When TA first appeared it had very few units and no super/experimental units (probably about 20% or so more than SupCom so far), a far cry from something like Absolute Annihilation today.

Blitz: There is wreckage some of the time but its behaviour has changed. It doesn't obstruct movement, you get the reclaim resources in a stream immediately rather than all at once (at the end). Anything at sea does not leave wreckage.

I played my first game of this last night (thanks for that link Max) and know it's going to own my life for many months. The first battle went back and forth with me finally getting up a reasonable defense and feeling cuffed at taking down a flying fortress and then this huge bugger of a Sacred Siege bot starting tractor beaming my units and crushing them. Thinking there was no way he could lift my commander I strode him up to duke it out....I learned 2 things: 1. The Sacred Siege bot also has a nasty Laser....2. The Nuclear explosion from a dying commander is indeed very impressive.

maybe its just me but i seem to find it hard to manage resources quickly enough(i never really play rts') & seem to get horded by the enemy way before i get a chance to actually build anything, is there was a way to se you engineer to auto build on local resource points

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    -One aspect I felt that really needed attention was base building which has become a burdon in RTS today with the choice of either cutting them completely (ala Ground Control) or redesigning how they work. Personnally I have a distaste towards having builder units, the original C+C model allowed for easy base building but has difficulties dealing with an expanding tech tree (though the RA2 solution was a good comprimise) and Company of Heroes combining a combat unit with base building (not to mention the minimilst number of buildings, and excellent sand bag/tank traps feature) was good, but base building there required alot of work from the developers on the map itself where is the gamer cant design his own defence but use the one intended at specific points on the map. Supreme Commander felt like a huge leap backwards in the way of base building from what I experianced. Hopefully it just needs to be fleshed out a bit more.

I think the base building in SupCom is quite fine. TBH it's excactly like TA. What I like about it is that you can build anything, anywhere. It allows you to have multiple bases, forwards unit production facilites, power farms, mass fab farms, turret points... it's mostly as a result of the shear damage potential some of the units do. I mean, once you eventually get a nuke silo built you can churn out nukes. If you were limited to building in an area around one building a well placed nuke would cripple you. I'm only disappointed that I can't construct underwater bases.

I think the main point about SupCom is, it's all about BIG. BIG artillery, BIG super units, BIG battles, BIG bases, BIG maps, BIG explosions, BIG ships. BIG, really big. I like the way everything is near enough the right size, the tanks are small compaired to the turrets on a battleship, etc.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    -DO you still get wreckages in this one? Cause I blew a few bases up with my battleship (I love games that allow battleships :D) and they didnt leave smolduring ruins...I also sunk a few of my own ships to see no wrecks in the sea.

You do, although not as much as TA. The smaller units tend to get blown to bits so they don't leave much behind. The larger units do. It may depend on how much firepower you pour on to the unit/structure :) I mean, a battleship should obliterate buildings.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    -Is there armour variants? Is it more effective to hit units from certain directions (from behind etc?) or is it more of a matter of shooting first?

I don't think so. I belive most of the units have a fairly round armour coverage, sure it's the future! :D some of the units have shields anyway. It's not so much shooting first, more so how much firepower you can bring and how well you use it. SupCom isn't as detailed on the small scale as CoH is.

"We're about the war, not the battle!"
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I'd agree there to an extent, but I also feel the design and structure of each army gives alot to the atmosphere (and the maps). And like I said the side I picked I really didnt like the design of its buildings or its units, but thats a matter of personal taste...they were the side with the giant robot as its tech 4 tank and they build everything by liquid metal I think?

The Aeon. I don't like them that much. Try the Cybrids (the one with the tech 4 spider bot) most people seem to like them. I use the UEF more than any of the others, maybe it's just their shields and artillery :)

madrab wrote:
    maybe its just me but i seem to find it hard to manage resources quickly enough(i never really play rts') & seem to get horded by the enemy way before i get a chance to actually build anything, is there was a way to se you engineer to auto build on local resource points

You can queue up orders with shift. I usually send an engineer out to build on 4-5 mass points along with 3-4 other engineers supporting it.

I generally build 5-10 engineers, tech 1. Split them in to 2 or 3 groups and send them off building on mass points while upgradeing the mass extractors my command built to tech 2. I keep one behind and assign it to assist the commander. Once I can reasonable afford it I start the upgrade of my unit facilities to tech 2 and build another 5-10 tech 2 engineers.

You should put mass extractors on as many points as you can as fast as you can. The more resources you can get a hold of the faster you can expand.

It's the only part of the game I can do quite well, collecting resources :) I just wish I could spend them a bit better.

• Advertisement

thanks for the tip

Advertisement