Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwing Actions....good and bad

Options
  • 12-01-2007 3:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Just interested to see who people think has the best/worst/natural throwing action.

For me Van Gerwan, Hankey look really natural and look like they would handle the pressure. Ronnie Baxter has a nice action.

Co Stompe and Essers are at the other end of the scale.

Also for the being the best player of all time, Taylor has an unusual style.

What do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Van Barneveld also have a very natural throw.

And Steve Beaton has a lovely throwing action also.

John Lowe has always been regarded as the player you should copy if you are having trouble with your action. Solid, still and smooth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

For me Barney has the best throwing action around. He has a very natural throw and the darts just seem to find the treble 20 without him even aiming. The same can be said for Ted Hankey and Van Gerwen but they are not as consistant as Barney. I like Andy Hamiltons throw as well. He is not as fast and natural as the others but he steps up to the Oche and locks his arm and throws. I throw the same as Hamilton and it works well for me.

As for bad throwing actions I would agree that Stompe and Essers are a bit strange. Also Wes Newton stands way over to the right hand side of the oche so his darts go into the board at an angle. If he doesnt get it right the angle of the dart blocks the treble twenty bed and leaves him in trouble. Van Der Voort has a strange throw as well. He doesnt even look at the board he just flings them in.

Taylor does have a strange enough throw in that he has to get his first dart right or the next two will be hard to get into the treble. The thing about Taylor though is that he is so good on the treble 19 that it doesnt really matter. Its very hard to criticise the throw of the greatest dart player there has ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I think with most darts players with fluent natural throws like Hankey, Baxter, Barney etc - they have a rhythm throw (ie they depend on there 1st dart lands and then adjust there accurcy for the next throw - if you see Hankey especially yesterday againist adams - when he hits Treble 20 with his 1st dart its like he doesn't even have to look at the board for the next 2 darts as the rhythm will do it for him)
    But with Taylor each Dart is separate.............each dart he will concentrate really hard on where he wants it to go instead of just relying on the rhythm of the 1st dart. He also uses the stacker system (sid waddells words)........depending on where the 1st dart has gone Phil will lie the next dart either above or below the barrell - nearly resting on each other.

My Favourite is Ronnie Baxters but its very hard to do.

Question: I have been having this problem for a while now - its seems that every time I pick up a set of darts I have a different throw - does anyone else get this????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MBC wrote:
    Question: I have been having this problem for a while now - its seems that every time I pick up a set of darts I have a different throw - does anyone else get this????

It used to be the case with me, I used to have a different stance as well and I think thats a bad thing for your game. What I did was I practiced for a bit using different stances until I found the one that I like and I make a conscious decision to use that stance everytime I throw now. Same goes for how I hold and throw the darts. I tries a few different styles until I got the one I like and now I make sure I throw the same way all the time.

You wont improve your game if you keep changing, you have to practice the same way all the time. Thats what I think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 goodforsomethin

does anyone here actually play darts i went to watch a game monday night in borough dart league very good standard

• Advertisement

a lot of good styles around like taylors:eek:

I used to play but we were setting up a new team this year and we were too late to register. There are a few players that post on this board that play.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

does anyone here actually play darts i went to watch a game monday night in borough dart league very good standard
    Theres a few players from borough league post on the treads both monday and tuesday.As you say theres a fairly high standard of darts (most times) in the league.I've been playing about 9 years now and the standard is improving all the time.
    Out of curiosity what game did you see on monday?

Kingp35 wrote:
    I used to play but we were setting up a new team this year and we were too late to register. QUOTE]
    The AGM is usually on in september if your there for that you wouldn't have any problem getting a team in as the monday league have 1 place to fill and the tuesday have 2 places to fill.I'm pretty sure the committee would be delighted to have you.You'll need minimum of 9 players.Have you got a pub sorted,if not i might be able to help you out with one.

Yeah we have a pub sorted. We were going to play for the Ivory on a Tuesday night. We had the players sorted and everything we were just a bit late to register. We are definitely going to play next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I recently got serious into my darts. Before I would literally just have a throw when in the pub drunk and piere the ceiling :D

The last four months I have been settling down and working on my game. Have two good sets of darts I use depending on what mood im in. A 22g set of Harrows Assasain with short "savage" stems and bog standard metronic flights. Have a heavy set of 26g "Zone"Darts use short stems on them as well and the feather style flights. Prefer my lighter harrows lately though.

Have tormented myself with various grips, from two fingers to four fingers! Have settled on using my middle finger and thumb on the front of the barrell and fore finger balancing the end of it. Find this gives me a much more controlled release as it suits my throw.

As for stance it can be a tricky one to get settled on. I used to try the leaning forward stance a lot use but im over 6ft 2 and it can be a tad to over for my liking. Adopted a pretty standard "feet together" back slightly arched stance.

If your happy with your stance thats part of the battle.Settle on one set of darts and stick with them.Then its practice,practice and more practice,good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I pretty much use the 22g darts the last few weeks, I find constantly practicing with them my averages are around the 80ish mark however in the matches I play im dropping down to a 50ish area due to not settling on my rhytmn a lot. The more matche I play though the easier it is to relax and not pull my darts.

it was in shankill o connells against the igo inn the igo won 6 2 they where 5 0 up

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah we have a pub sorted. We were going to play for the Ivory on a Tuesday night. We had the players sorted and everything we were just a bit late to register. We are definitely going to play next year.
    i know a couple of players that play there on a monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

MBC wrote:

Yeah I do, it usually happens when I don't play for a few days. I find my grip changes slightly and my accuracy just disappears.

It can take an hour of solid throwing to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

it was in shankill o connells against the igo inn the igo won 6 2 they where 5 0 up

You would have been watching two of the top three sides then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I find the follow-through is very important. It takes a bit of effort to do it properly, but much more consistent results when you do it the same every time.

Also, pulling it back the same distance before you let it off. It's all about the consistency.
    Now, if only I could take my own advice!

Good game to go and see.Two top teams there.A good win for the Igo puts them right back up there.I believe they were short a few players as well.

yeah i had heard they were missing a couple ok you wouldn't think it one or two of others not too happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement