Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damien rice

Options
  • 12-01-2007 5:05am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

i think someone said he was the singer in something happens or something.... any truth to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

No , Tom Dunne , him from the radio show , he was the lead singer with something happens ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Rice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

oh really? cool,,, and was damien rice in any other bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Package wrote:
    oh really? cool,,, and was damien rice in any other bands?
    There's a nice big WIKI link about Damien Rice in the post that matias made just after yours. Why don't you click it? That way you could pretend that you actually found out the information yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Joni

he was in juniper which are now bell x1. yeh you shoulda wiki'd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

oh,, right,, sorry,,,wiki.. i get cha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

maybe bell x1 wouldnt suck if he was in them...........

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eh no, damien rice is the most misersable, depressing f*cker making music today. i dont know why on earth people listen to his boring, lifeless, and quite frankly SH*T music

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Spogpean wrote:
    eh no, damien rice is the most misersable, depressing f*cker making music today.
    Oh, no, I can't let that one go. It's not true.

Tom Waits had an album out last November with 30 new songs on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Spogpean wrote:
    eh no, damien rice is the most misersable, depressing f*cker making music today. i dont know why on earth people listen to his boring, lifeless, and quite frankly SH*T music

for a second there i thought you were on about Damien Dempsey. if you were then i would agree 100&

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Ah in fairness now Damien Rice is a well rounded, deep, jeppa jeppa jeppa, Moving, spiritual, jeppa jappa, profound and gifted songwriter....jeppa.

No wait, i got that all wrong, His music sucks more Donkey B*lls than a donkey ball sucker.

Pity The Foo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,256 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, it seems Irish begrudgery and musical snobbery are still alive and well on boards.ie :rolleyes:

Now, I'll say from the start that I like his music but I can't see why some people hate Damien Rice so much. I mean come on, even if it's not your cup of tea, it's at least got some artistic merit. Personally, I'm not into the Frames, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes or a load of other supposedly brilliant bands but I can admit they've a modicum of talent and don't bad mouth them. A lot of other people like them and unlike many other acts I could mention, they're at least talented musicians. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭binhead

Sleepy wrote:
    Well, it seems Irish begrudgery and musical snobbery are still alive and well on boards.ie :rolleyes:

Now, I'll say from the start that I like his music but I can't see why some people hate Damien Rice so much. I mean come on, even if it's not your cup of tea, it's at least got some artistic merit. Personally, I'm not into the Frames, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes or a load of other supposedly brilliant bands but I can admit they've a modicum of talent and don't bad mouth them. A lot of other people like them and unlike many other acts I could mention, they're at least talented musicians. Grow up.

Growing up is so 1999.

You can bet your ass that Irish begrudgery and musical snobbery is still alive and well, Where would we be without it? in an incredibly boring place, christ man, how can we expect musicians to come up with the goods if we don't tear em apart from time to time. We're not paying them to sit there and diddle, I want quality. My opinion is that Damien Rice's music, although quiet melodic in parts, is just boring.

Some of his lyrics really do feel like fillers, drawing on bland imagery that the simple listener can relate to because he/she/it knew a girl once who did yoga and lived in a orange tree.

vomit.

But that's just my opinion which I use to slay all before me.

Tally ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

binhead wrote:
    Growing up is so 1999.

You can bet your ass that Irish begrudgery and musical snobbery is still alive and well, Where would we be without it? in an incredibly boring place, christ man, how can we expect musicians to come up with the goods if we don't tear em apart from time to time. We're not paying them to sit there and diddle, I want quality. My opinion is that Damien Rice's music, although quiet melodic in parts, is just boring.

Some of his lyrics really do feel like fillers, drawing on bland imagery that the simple listener can relate to because he/she/it knew a girl once who did yoga and lived in a orange tree.

vomit.

But that's just my opinion which I use to slay all before me.

Tally ho.

Damien Rice begrudingly made it inot my cd collection. The album 'o' is brilliant. He is talented without a doubt. He has occasion for dreariness but most of the time redeems. One of the more interesting singer song writers from Ireland in recent years....Damien Dempsey on the other hand now there's someone I really despise, musically that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Sleepy wrote:

Well said, there's nothing more annoying than people that think they know it all claiming certain music is "****e". You might not like it but it does not mean it is "****e"...........

As for Damien Rice, IMO 'O' is one of the best debut albums of the past 20 years, I havnt listned to his new album much to be honest, I think its because I found his stuff alot more fresh and interesting when 'O' came out. Now if I want something in the same vein I'll just put on some Leonard Coen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Damien Rice like Rice pudding is an acquired taste. However some people dont like rice pudding as they find it bland. And even though people say it is a desert only cats who spent time in jail or asian prisoner of war camps would count it as such. People with severely limited palates if you get my drift.

As for Damien Dempsey - he is cod liver oil. Fishy and kinda yellow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Whoever called Tom waits the most depressing ****er in music (or insuinated it) should really go and listen to that album. There is not anywhere close to 30 miserable songs on it.

Rice Yay, Dempsey Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SMJ

Spogpean wrote:

clearly you have your head up somewhere and cant aknowledge that damien rice has done something most irish acts will always fail at. Actually making an impact across the water. See Aslan, The Frames, Bell x1 etc for examples.
    His music is universally enjoyed and respected.

but i do agree its the usual irish mentality of if they start to make it anywhere absolutely slate them. If you havent anything interesting to say dont bother opening your mouth. You are definately entitled to your opinion but to not even aknowledge his achievements and his artistic merit is plain ignorant.

Im a big fan myself, been listening to him on and off for close to 5 years and nobody has topped his live shows for me. He's an inigmatic songwriter that has catapulted him into stadium filling tours, and mostly without the help of a majour record deal. He independantly released O, with no promotion other than constant gigging and word of mouth.

That deserves respect, but shun him for doing something 99.9% of the irish public cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SMJ wrote:
    clearly you have your head up somewhere and cant aknowledge that damien rice has done something most irish acts will always fail at. Actually making an impact across the water. See Aslan, The Frames, Bell x1 etc for examples.

In fairness, two of those three bands have done well enough state-side. The Frames have been announced as part of the line up for this year's Coachella festival in California. Hansard also regularly plays sell out shows there.

Bell x1 also got pretty big when 'Eve, The Apple Of My Eye' was featured in the OC.

As for Aslan, well there's just not enough Celtic fans in England or the U.S. :D

Personally I've no real problem with Rice other than it took him 5 years or so to release another album that only contains ten songs. That's some good productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Spogpean wrote:

How my albums have you sold then? ;) Also there are many other bands you could add to the list of depressing music.... (e.g Radiohead) but clearly it sells well. I guess we are a Nation of depressed f*uckers... Maybe it's down to the harsh criticism from the public?! :rolleyes:

Advertisement