Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new car. money off?

Options
  • 12-01-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking into buying a new car(2007) in the next month.
    My question is: is the price in the brochure a fixed price or is there room to haggle them down and if so how much should i be asking to go down.
    car cost approx 23K

regards

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It depends on the brand. Tell us the type of car, and whether or not you're trading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Would you not consider an ex-showroom car or late 2006 model?

Reason is that it will depreciate less over the first 12 months of ownership and you will save a packet!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Depends on the brand. Luxury brands less, standard brands more. Those guys are making around 9-10% margin so if you are a really good bargainer you could get 7% of the list price. In your case that is 1600 off the list price. He will probably start with 1000 of the list price you shouls ask for 2. The settle on 1500. It will take a LOT of bargaining to get this discount. Be prepared to walk out.

kmick wrote:
    Depends on the brand. Luxury brands less, standard brands more. Those guys are making around 9-10% margin so if you are a really good bargainer you could get 7% of the list price. In your case that is 1600 off the list price. He will probably start with 1000 of the list price you shouls ask for 2. The settle on 1500. It will take a LOT of bargaining to get this discount. Be prepared to walk out.

Good advice. The advice above is based on a straight sale scenario, so if there's a Trade-In involved, it will be more down to haggling on the price of your part exchange, rather than the discount involved. We need a bit more info before we can correctly advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sarahp

thanks guys. allready you have been great help.

i was looking at the opel astra sports hatch. and it is a straight sale. i do not have a trade in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bear in mind that the brochure price normally doesn't include delivery/related charges and metallic paint

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is also a revised Astra on sale this or next month so make sure your getting the newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I shopped around and got a brand new Golf GTI for 33K last year. Nobody else could get near it, some were 38K

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I played two dealers off each other (takes a couple of white lies that the other dealer has bettered an offer) and was getting up to walk out when I got them down from €45,800 to €42,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I'll reiterate what other people are saying and advise you to buy nearly new. And since you are a straight cash buyer avoid garages and buy privately.
    If you do an advanced search on Carzone for all cars put in a min (eg 18000) and max (eg 24000) value and year (2006). Specify private sale only and do a search and see what you come up with.
    All the cars will be one owner, have at least a year left on the manufacturer's warranty and should be much cheaper than buying the same in a garage. Also there will be more room for haggling with a private seller. With an Astra i'd expect to pay at least €500 less than the price they have advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are loads upon loads of 06 Astras knocking about dealers, mostly demos and hire drives. They want to sell......

The group I work for has an Opel franchise. I'll try to find out tomorrow for you from one of the lads down there.

Advertisement