Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree damage from storm - help

Options
  • 12-01-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    the storms of the recent days have finally caused a main branch of my evergreen in the garden to snap and crash into (mainly) the neighbours garden. Chainsaw is on the way to clean up that mess.

Still that leaves me with the problem what to do with the tree where branch broke off. And advise how to 'clean' it up and what to put on the exposed wood?

Or for the sake of the tree should I call on a tree expert to fix it?

TIA
    WD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

If the mods don't mind, heres a link to an article on this subject from my site......
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/articles/article2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

hmm. thanks.

But, restoration pruning won't cut it.... nothing to prune
    its really more about sealing a dinner plate sized wound in the tree...

According to you article - don't seal it. So no need for a tree surgeon.
    But maybe for a wound that size I need do something with it.

WD

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

If the wound is ragged you may clean it up with a fresh cut.
    However, do not cut past the branch collar.
    The collar is where the branch joins the tree and looks like a raised bump all the way round the branch where it meets the tree.
    Cutting past this collar will greatly reduce the trees chances of mending the wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen Tar painted/poured onto the stump where a branch has been removed, I think tar is a natural antiseptic and is probably a good way of sealing the wound.

Advertisement