Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO versus PDC

Options
  • 12-01-2007 1:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think now is a good time to raise this debate because we have seen both World Championships (well most of the BDO) and because of the controversy about various players switching to the PDC.

What organisation do you guys think is better and why?

For me I have to say that the PDC is the better organisation purely because of how its run. In the last 6 years or so since Barry Hearn has come aboard the PDC, the sport has come on leaps and bounds. Its no longer considered a pub game, venues are sold out long before a competition starts, there is more prize money than ever, we saw a great standard in Purfleet and Sky Sports have brilliant coverage of the sport.

The BDO is suffering in these parts of the world because of a lack of money and TV Coverage. I personally think that is the main issue, the BDO is getting very little exposure over here. I think its sad because the BDO is the original organisation and should be the main one but it just isnt anymore and the top players are realising this. I think young up and coming players will set their sights on playing in the PDC whereas in years previous it would have been the BDO.

Another thing that I feel the PDC has over the BDO is the crowd. The PDC is pure entertainment and you just cant beat the darts atmosphere. I know this because I go to as many tournaments as I can and the crowd is great. Its a carnival atmosphere with everyone dressed up etc and the fanous Planet Funk song which is now darts anthem. The BDO lacks that unique atmosphere, especially the tournaments in Holland where the crowd tend to be very quite. People are attracted to the atmosphere the PDC has, I know I certainly was.

So for me the PDC is the better. I wish for a time when there is only one organisation but after all the bad blood between the two I can never see it ever happening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

PDC hands down. The standard is much better, the presentation (Sky) is much better. The atmosphere is a billion times better, whats up with the silence durin play at the BDO? (ya'd swear you are watchin the world knitting championships durin some matches!). But probably the main reason i prefer the PDC, Bobby George and Ray Stubbs are nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

agree with what has all been said so far

PDC > BDO

Atmosphere better, better presenting/coverage (i even like the adverts in between), wider coverage, more tournaments and of course they now have the best 2 players in the world.

Will be very hard for the BBC to compete with PDC due to the reputation the organisations hold and the money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Good points by OP. I agree but for once and for all to find out which is the best and 'BEST' in any sport means best quality of play. To judge this in darts you just need to compare the 3 dart averages in each organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

its has to be the PDC for me with taylor and barney in the PDC. if van G and King move then BDO will be finished. PDC has better players better commentary, better all round show. Also if van G moves then the two best young players (Addy Lewis) will be with the PDC. The only way the BDO will inprove is with better prize money and more telivised events, and better coverage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think I posted a thread along these lines last year and there was a couple of people who were undecided as to which was the better organisation, it seems that its preety unaminous now that the PDC is the better one.

I think the BDO are in real trouble at the moment and I cant see them getting any better anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Two words, Sid Waddell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The BDO World championship this year has been relatively poor - Barney not being there anymore is a big killer. It seems to be a very open contest without many well known names. Granted Adams, King, Hankey are there but the PDC have Taylor and Barney - what a final they had ;)

Is it true that Mervyn King is moving to the PDC?? If he did, IMO, it would nearly signal the end of the BDO.

Is there any Irish players in either championships??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Double O

Mick McGowan was beat by the Power this year, but he played great darts. had a very good average and probably would of beat most of the other players but came up against the Power! He is a quality player though. He gave a great interview on TV3 with trevor welch about 2-3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I would love to choose the BDO but in reality the PDC wins to be fair, that is mainly down to Taylor and what he has brought to the organisation(and Barny now to a certain extent), there is not that much of a difference with the other players to be fair but if they keep on crossing then it will be downhill for the BDO.
    BDO is standing still while PDC kepps on moving forward in all aspects !!!
    Is the BDO more recognised in Holland ?
    Does anyone know what the future holds for two organisations or any suggestions on what should be done ?
    Should they be joined and the TV rights could be divided out as is done with the soccer(FA cup, premiership etc), Sky get most but BBC could get selected high profile events....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I'd love to see them both pick their best eight and have a match.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is the BDO more recognised in Holland ?
    Does anyone know what the future holds for two organisations or any suggestions on what should be done ?
    Should they be joined and the TV rights could be divided out as is done with the soccer(FA cup, premiership etc), Sky get most but BBC could get selected high profile events....

Yeah the BDO is more recognised in Holland because most of he BDO majors are held in Holland. As for the two joining, I dont think it will ever happen because there is far too much ad blood between the two after the big court battle etc that happened after the split. I really would love them to join bt it just wont happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ArsNova

which is better?
    depends on how you want to look at it
    money-wise the PDC obviously
    but when you look at darts as a whole, like breaking through opportunities for young or relatively unknown players, it must be the BDO
    isn't it just great that a player like Phil Nixon can actually work his way through the tournament and win it?
    i think the best thing for the darts sport would be that both organisations recognise each other's strong points and put their energy in improving their own weaknesses
    therefore i'd really like Nixon to win
    and the BBC to stop calling Adams the "world's number one" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Without a doubt the PDC/sky are better for presentation and prize money but as ArsNova says the BDO are better for younger up and coming players to break through.
    Looking forward to the final this evening and i'll be cheering for nixon.The look on Adams face if he loses will be worth it and how the BBC explains how "worlds no1" lost.
    I hope John Part is commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

That's another thing. Why are Sky letting one of their top players comentate on the BBC? Isn't he on some sort of contract with Sky. Conflict of interests if ya ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Kojak wrote:
    Is it true that Mervyn King is moving to the PDC?? If he did, IMO, it would nearly signal the end of the BDO.
    We should know on Monday whether King, Klaasen, van Gerwen, Van der Voort are moving to the PDC. It seems Fitton has turned down the opportunity, although denials can't really be trusted while people are still at the Lakeside because of the venomous treatement people get at the hands of BDO loyalists when suggestion of transfers are heard.

We should also hear on Monday the name of the final Premier League wildcard.

An amazing rumour going around know is that Andy Jenkins could move to the BDO if he doesnt get the final PL place. Now if this was based solely on the fact that he was seen at the Lakeside I'd dismiss it out of hand. But I'm told there is more substance to it than that.

Matt Clark and Steve Coote are two others rumoured to be giving up the PDC and going back BDO - which would not be a big surprise given neither has made an impact on the PDC tour.

The Andy Jenkins rumour is certainly a strange one. It would make very little sense to me that he would want to move after putting in his greatest performane in a PDC major to date. Are you sure its not the just the fact that he and his wife were sitting with Mervin Kings wife at the lakeside? Would this be the first case of someone moving to the BDO with it not being the case that he failed to make a break through in the PDC?

As you said its no great surprise that the other two are thinking of moving back because they havent made much of an impression at all lately.

Breaking news........ In SBS-6 build up to the final, Klaasen, MvG and Voort have just confirmed they have joined the PDC

Not surprising and very good for the PDC. Van Gerwen is causing alot of hype and I was told that he has already been installed as third favourite for next years World Championship!

Back to Andy Jenkins. One rumour being floated that might diminsh his annoyance at missing out on the PL is that he might be given the last spot in the Masters of Darts tournament.

Currently the line-up is:

English: Taylor, Lloyd, Mardle, King, AN Other
    Dutch: Barney, MvG, Klaasen, Scholten, vd Voort

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

PDC is far better and it's not even close imo. Better players, coverage, standard, presentation, crowd. Everything is better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well the way I view them is PDC is the premiership and BDO is the Championship. Basically if you are young and up coming go to the bdo, get the feel for it and progress your game before taking the step up to premiership level.

After a few years at bdo you should have cut your teeth enough to hold your own on the big stage. Too much too soon can destroy you.

p.s. I know all the hype about MvG and can see where its coming from but does anyone feel like myself in that Klassen is really not that good?

iregk wrote:
    p.s. I know all the hype about MvG and can see where its coming from but does anyone feel like myself in that Klassen is really not that good?

Yeah I agree. I never thought he was very good, even when he somehow won the World Championships. If I remember correctly he only managed to average over 90 in one of his matches when the won the world title. He has a very inconsistant throw and I think the fact that he wasnt even seeded for this years tournaments and went out first round kind of proves he isnt as good as some people make out. There is no denying that he has great potential though and if he can become more consistant then he will do well. I dont expect to see Klaasen rocket up the rankings this year but he will slowly edge his way up. This weekends tournaments will give us a good idea of his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

what tournament is on this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

the pdc and bdo i'd say would reform eventually if it were not for the bbc/sky factor both want the world championship and sky are'nt partial to sharing.
    At the moment the pdc is well on top in terms of players and coverage but the bdo has a bigger profile due to its terrestrial tv coverage so if a happy medium could be drawn it would be great for fans in getting all the mediocre guys out.

hiscan wrote:
    what tournament is on this weekend?

It is a Players Championships tournaments and its being held in Gibralter. All the top players are in it except Phil Taylor. Sadly it wont be shown on the TV. Next darts on TV is the first round of matches of the Premier League on Feruary 1st.

To make matters worse for the BDO, their much celebrated referee George Noble has now switched codes to the PDC. It seems as if everybody id now switching codes so the BDO really are in real trouble if they cant een keep their referees.

Full story can be found below.
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/LatestDetail/0,,10180~967611,00.html

Advertisement