Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICE broadband any good?

Options
  • 12-01-2007 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I was wondering if anyone is using ice broadband in the north co dublin area? I was thinking about getting it because its the only real option i have, anyone have any comments on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I'm South Dublin (Clondalkin)
    Not good for anything which requires low latency. - Gaming, VoIP etc. They used to be very good but service quality has been getting progressively worse over the last few months. It's now at the stage where my ripwave is quicker and has lower latency than Icecomms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I made a thread on this a while ago. If you do a search for Ice broadband it should pop up.

Basically no if you have another option for broadband (eg. another wireless provider). If you don't have another option they might be worth a look but I got more than one reply stating they are worse than dial up at peak times.

However the best thing to do would be to find out which mast you'd be receiving from and post it to see if anyone here is connected to that mast to see what the service is like from that mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

ICE Comms seems to be my only viable option as well, though I am very doubtful over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have been on one site where they are used.. it was during the day at about 3pm or so. Anyway i did a ping test to boards and got a constant 20 something ms response.

It might be there was no other traffic on the system at the time but it seems to be grand. this was out between st margarets and ratoath.

By the way my brother knows the people who set it up and now works for them, but i am in no way biassed. If i came across somewhere they sucked and would mention it but i have only come across the one site.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

They're bloody awful.

I'm paying for 3mb that translates as about 1mb - signals up and down more than a cheap whore's knickers also.
    They only have one support technician that seems to know what his talking about and the rest will just change the high site that your signals come from.

I've no choice but to go with them because there's nothing else available and I think they know this too.

If you can find another provider you'd be wise - I don't think Ice will survive if they persist in being so flippant about the poor quality of their service

• Advertisement
Advertisement