Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar powered watch

Options
  • 12-01-2007 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anybody could help. I've a Casio G Shock MTG watch and it's solar powered. I admit having a solar powered watch in Ireland is a bit stupid what with the distinct lack of sunshine for 2/3rd's of the year but I really wanted the watch. I bought it in California, I guess they would never have a problem like mine.

Now I've a problem. My watch has died. No battery left. Dead as a doornail.

I'm wondering if anybody here would have any clue as to how to charge it up. As it's January I'm not expecting the sun to come beaming out from behind the clouds anytime soon. I've tried it under a halogen lamp to no avail.

The last time I charged it was when I was in Cyprus in October, I thought this would last until at least March. It packed in last night.

So can anybody think of anything else?
    Thanks, J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Sunbed?! Can they not be charged by a lightbulb? My old solar powered calculators were chargeable via lightbulbs iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusman

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive watch, which is solar powered - any light source recharges it, thankfully not just the sun. ;-)

The batteries in such watches do have a finite life-span, and need to be factory replaced. I have had my watch for 10 years now and it's battery still works perfectly (touch wood!).

I suggest you contact Casio, I am sure they have an irish agent who will replace the battery for a reasonable price.

I sent my Citizen off to a place in Co. Clare a couple of years back to get a titanium clasp replaced and have scratchproof glass fitted (which was then pressure tested to ensure it's water resistance had not been compromised) - all for €40 which I thought was surprisingly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

a solar powered watch seems like a great invention.

anyone for a frying pan radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

I have a casio solar watch and don't have a problem with it. You are able to charge it under fluorescent light but it takes ages. You can charge in cloudy weather also but when charging through a window it takes a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No problems with my Citizen either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

No problems with my Citizen either...
    Ditto, running about a third down on the meter all through the winter and has gone no lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

I have it half charged. The flouroscent light thing didn't work. I just left it in a sunny spot for a few days whilst I went to work and it must have caught a couple of decent rays cos it's working now. I'll be in Thailand shortly so no shortage of sunlight there, hopefully I'll get another year charge.
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ya I think I remember Citizen saying in its manual that even if its a bit cloudy the light from the sun is still way better for charging it than an artifical light.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Trampoline

brav wrote: »
    Ya I think I remember Citizen saying in its manual that even if its a bit cloudy the light from the sun is still way better for charging it than an artifical light.

Citizen Eco-Drive watches have a power reserve of between 6 months and 7 years, depending on the model! Any yes, sunshine is better than artificial light for charging (in that it charges quicker) but any light will do. Most people will never have to set an Eco-Drive aside to charge, it will just top itself up with regular use.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement