Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies offering Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 12-01-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Just curious - Do companies like Digiweb, IBB, or ICE Comms offer their wireless broadband with a "Trial Period" [i.e. - Experience what connection's like, and such]. Cause being on a 12 month contract, to discover the connection to be worst than dial-up is a thought that I don't fancy. :p

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

no because they need the income guaranteed to cover the install costs.

get a reference customer in your local area and ask them for their experiences with the company, its the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

this (boards) is probably the best source for the type of information that you are looking for just rename this thread or start another one in the region section asking other people what the service they have is like?

OT: most companies wouldn offer a trial because they need to cover the installtion costs are stated above

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Digiweb seems to be working well in Galway - I talked to a few users before I went with them.

However, theres a lot of negative stuff about the situation in Dublin at the moment.

They are expanding very rapidly - major ad campaign so I hope it doesn't all end like SMART.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Smart has to pay money to eircom for every user on DSL, for each month, a large part of their charge to customer. Digiweb metro involves no payment to eircom. Draw your own conclusion on relative merits of the two buisness models.

Because of equipmennt cost you may get free install or discounts or something from some suppliers if you pay upfront for the year. If the saving is more than your overdraft or credit card interest, this can still make sense even if you can't afford it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Go to tv shop ,eg harvey norman,get irish broadband ripwave, you have 7days,to try it out,you pay shop 70euro, if you are getting bad signal,my advice is bring it back in 2days.they give you your money back.ripwave is 500k persec.ten bar signal ,i get 5bars,200k per sec approx.But i had to buy 30ft rj45 cable,from maplins 20euro,and put the modem in a window upstairs facing the aerial.i ran the cable to pc which is downstairs. I know 2 people who are getting 7/8 bars, 80percent signal.Look at metro wireless website,check is there a contract.GET broadband by phone ,imagine.ie 1meg/per sec 9.99 per month or ntl broadband if you have ntl cable its much faster,than wireless.look at the website map re wireless coverage,if you are far from the transmitter ,you,ll only get a weak signal.IBB ripwave has no contract as far as i know,im not saying its the best service you can get.there breeze product is much faster if you cant get bb by phone or cable/ntl/magnet.Check with assistant in shop/ can i bring this back if i get no signal.hold onto packaging and your RECEIPT.If you have a phone bt have a 6month bb contract .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Newlines (paragraphs) are free.

Uncongested Ripwave is about 220kbps. Congested it drips to 60k or less with pings spiking up to 1800ms.

It's better than dialup for data, but not for VOIP generally. Some Wireless systems are as good (or better than basic DSL on long line) as DSL with good 35ms pings and up to 8Mbps down and 1Mbps.

Breeze is a better system from IBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I use a company called regional broadband in Wicklow.

Every now and then (once every 2 months or so) their network goes down but otherwise it seems to be fine. Maybe thats because they are new?

Also sometimes they are a bit slow in the evenings - contention I suppose.

A

I always get at least 200k per second,theres no cap on downloading.The assistant in peats said,you have 3days to bring it back,test the signal,if signal is bad,or too slow,bring it back within3 days,you get a full refund.I,M GETTING CONSTANT 5bars at least on signal meter,software meter onscreen.I know people who get 8 bars ,80percent signal.10 bars is 500k/per sec.its 18euro per month,imagine bband by phone is 1meg per sec.9.99euro per month.look at imagine.ie.YOU must hold on to all packaging ,box,cdrom,manual if you wanna bring it back, 75euro pays for 4months trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

gamer wrote:
    Go to tv shop ,eg harvey norman,get irish broadband ripwave, you have 7days,to try it out,you pay shop 70euro,
    you have 28 days and its 75 euro which pays for 4 months. yo ucan get them in some sony centres, some carphone warehouses, peats and harvey norman as gamer said

ripwave is really really bad. i get about 20KB/s max and 10 average. i only have it because its literally the only option where i am

Clerk in peats says buy it ,try it 4 3days,bring it back within 3 days 2 get refund if signal is very bad.You must have box,cdrom,packaging/manual 2 get a refund.i bought 20meter rj45 cable, put ripwave in upstairs window facing aerial,ran cable to pc downstairs ,im getting 200kper sec, 5to 6bars out of ten in the navini signal meter.The modem unit has a signal led meter on it,move it round upstairs to test signal ,takes 1 minute to search and find the aerial.ITS got no cap download limit,but ntl/ bt broadband is faster .It doesnt need to be attached to pc to get a signal,you could even put it in attic on windowsill if you have one .It works thru los ,line of sight signal.imagine broadband 1meg persec ,9.99 permonth, ripwave is 18euros permonth,500k is the max speed on it if you are close to aerial.If you get less than 4bars signal upstairs bring it back to shop.get 75euro refund.The higher the ripwave unit is the better, if i had it beside pc, id only get 90k persec max.i got network cable in maplins for 20euro.BREEZE IBB IS MUCH FASTER, 35euro per month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement