Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revs problem

Options
  • 12-01-2007 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

In my 1.4 Golf sometimes the revs keep rising slowly but steadily after I start the engine, they've gone up to around 3000-3500 and would probably keep going by the sounds of it if I didn't put it in gear and pull the clutch out a bit when the handbrake is on.

Usually it's ok then but sometimes it will happen again when I stop at a red light or something.

Does anyone know what's causing this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

How long since the car has had a proper service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Only a month, in fact this started happening a week or two after the service.
    I know he did put an oil additive into the oil in that service, don't know if that could be causing the problem

Doubt that would have a bearing on this problem.
    What make/model/engine and year is the car?
    It sounds like it could be a problem with the air intake system.
    It'd prob be best to go back to where you got it serviced seen as its only been done so recent.

It's a 1.4 MkIV,I'll get him to have a look at it alright. Just thought someone might know here first if it's an easy fix

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The Mark IV golf suffers from something like a dirty throttle cable which can affect the revs quite often - this could also be the problem. This happened to me several times (although I got low revs instead), and it was a very quick fix.

lomb is quite active on this forum and knows a lot more about it then me, maybe he can add more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

It happenedd to mine too on my old car- when i would tap the acellerator and then let go the revs wouldnt drop but slowly start to rise. It turned out to be some dirt on the throttle body in the engine bay that was causing it to stick! ..sprayed with some wd-40 and that was that sorted for good.

You should probably check there too.

Thanks guys, any ideas where the throttle body is? :)

Enygma wrote:
    Thanks guys, any ideas where the throttle body is? :)

Under the air filter
    Unless you have a good idea what your doing I wouldn't go near it.
    Those Golf throttle bodies need to be rest if you mess about with them.
    Probably best goin back to where you got the car serviced.
    It should have been cleaned as part of the service

fair enough then, thanks lads!

Advertisement