Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry's off to 2fm

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foolitz

A lot of their audience were people from the country now living in Dublin, and a huge amout of Dubs living outside and commuting in and out.

Look at the reaction on the Jim's Bebo

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A bit strange listening to it today and not a single mention of them (during the 90 minutes or so it was on as I was trying to get out of bed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If they are simply lifting and shifting the format to 2fm I wont be listening :p

If they bring that d1ckhead "Gavin" with them I DEFO wont be listening !

Cant see he rural audience liking him or Podgie :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Would that be the same Andy Mathews that is the station Deputy Programme/Production Director?

Has he any experience of morning shows?

Listened this morning out of interest and was appalled at the terrible way it went.

Mark Noble would be far better in there, and give him someone to work off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

jaysis, i was wondering where they were this morning, not a mention of holidays or anything. so when are they starting on 2 FM? their blog and webpage is still up with the with the FM 104 logo. i have to say, i will be changing stations for them, morning just wouldnt be the same without with them ....................FM104 has nothing else going for it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

irishbird wrote:
    jaysis, i was wondering where they were this morning, not a mention of holidays or anything. so when are they starting on 2 FM? their blog and webpage is still up with the with the FM 104 logo. i have to say, i will be changing stations for them, morning just wouldnt be the same without with them ....................FM104 has nothing else going for it at all

The newspaper said they were taking over in March sometime.

It's a shame after so many years on the station and winning them awards they couldn't be big enough to say they'd left and good luck to them, they need not mention where they're going. They did the same when Dec and Joan left - not a mention.

Hopefully they will revamp the show - I don't like Matt Molloy and Gavin and Paudgie could be overhauled!!

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

RTE hired previous presenters of the Strawberry Alarm Clock and it was a complete disaster - they had to split them up just to justify employing them. I predict the same will happen here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

What can the new presenters of shows do when they pick up from where the old ones left off though?

You can't go on air and start saying "Colm and Jim are off to 2fm". You have your own business to look after...

Inside story is the lads made their decision, 104 could do nothing (money offer included) to keep them at the station, Colm's mind was made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Would they not have them tied up with a 6 month notice period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RTE did the same thing when Today FM poached Ian Dempsey - forced him off the air 'till his contract expired. David Beckham how are ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Most half decent companies,if you jump ship to a rival,will have you out the door kinda rapid looike,and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i think the term is gardening leave is it not.

Heard a wind-up on the Strawberry this morning, some girl in Cork pretending her arse was btten by a swan.

Terrible. Not funny and sounded like it was put on way too much.

I hope FM104 nose dives and is taken over by a small family of water rats who take it down to the sewers where it now belongs.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

jdivision wrote:
    RTE hired previous presenters of the Strawberry Alarm Clock and it was a complete disaster - they had to split them up just to justify employing them.

Who are you referring to here? Is it Rick and Ruth? They never presented the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Rick O'Shea did work for Fm104 in the afternoons and evening slots. Ruth Scott worked on Breakfast show on 98fm.
    Again I will point out to the begruggers here that The Strawberry Alarm Clock has been the most listened to Breakfast Programme in the category of 15-34 year olds in Dublin for many years. They broke the 100,000 mark last year (if memory serves me right) and I'm sure they will adapt and make the changes neccessary for a national audience.

slumped wrote:
    I hope FM104 nose dives and is taken over by a small family of water rats who take it down to the sewers where it now belongs.
    S

What sort of opinion is that?

Did you get turned down for a gig or something?

Talk about petty! They're the No.1 station in Dublin, how do they belong in the sewer???

Big Balls wrote:
    What sort of opinion is that?

It's my opinion.

Wait for the next JNLR figures. Number 1, me thinks not.

Well it's a pretty stupid one.

It's a bit like someone who likes Whoppers saying they think McDonalds are gonna go bust next month.

The next JNLR?

You think 104 are gonna drop 5 points in listened yesterday? "Me thinks not".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

slumped wrote:
    Heard a wind-up on the Strawberry this morning, some girl in Cork pretending her arse was btten by a swan.

Terrible. Not funny and sounded like it was put on way too much.

S

I heard this too. I think that they took it from "Red FM" their sister company in Cork.

I immediately thought that they had just looked for a cheap way to put in an "funny" & had taken the easy option of using a piece from Cork radio that none of us would have heard in Dublin before.

If they want to keep listeners then they REALLY have to do better!

Tarakiwa wrote:
    I heard this too. I think that they took it from "Red FM" their sister company in Cork.

I immediately thought that they had just looked for a cheap way to put in an "funny" & had taken the easy option of using a piece from Cork radio that none of us would have heard in Dublin before.

If they want to keep listeners then they REALLY have to do better!

A bit ironic taking a clip like that from a station the Colm Hayes has shares in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so, where would i find 2fm on my radio then between navan and blanch? :)

seriously, never even looked for it before. it was the strawberrys on the way in in the morning and CD's on the way home.

methinks the prized no.1 spot on my presets will be changing very quickly. when do they start on 2fm? can't find anything (from a cursory 3 or 4 clicks) on the 2fm website. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

2FM is on 90-92FM.

AFAIR March 5th will be the day they start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

For me I could not give a **** about Colm and Jim Jim, in fact they wreck my head.

Today FTW:)

I listen to Ian Dempsey and then Ray D'arcy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

My 2c on all this....

Poaching has never been a trait employed by RTÉ, but for the first time ever... they've pulled off a real coup.

TSAC was never a favourite of mine, but I for one couldn't ignore their huge audience and loyalty their listenership has. IMO, and voiced by others here, people are more loyal to Colm Hayes and Jim Nugent than to FM104. So long as RTÉ give them all the creative licence they've had at FM104, they will be a roaring success.

We've seen stations take DJ's from RTÉ, but I can't remember RTÉ going the other way.

As for Marty Whelan, I've only ever seen that as a stop-gap solution. Marty was received favourably one summer when Ryan was on break. Rick and Ruth proved that you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose on morning radio. Marty in the morning was a shock move that shouldn't have gone more than 6 months.

Morning is so crucial to most radio stations. Get it right, the rest of the schedule works fine. TSAC was such a hook for the rest of the day, one can only compare what happened to Capital in London when Chris Tarrant left.

Top move, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

DMC wrote:
    We've seen stations take DJ's from RTÉ, but I can't remember RTÉ going the other way.

Rick O'Shea also used to be on FM104 but is now an important part of RTÉ's schedule. Granted they don't poach as much as other stations may, but they do it, and I must admit, they do it well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You'll not hear me saying this too often, but fairplay to 2FM. For once I will be tuning in in the morning (but not for the rest of the day)
    I suspect many others will be too.
    Poaching > plagiarism
    Always said that Colm and Jimjim are the only quality morning presenters in the country (Dempsey? please) and if they can keep the vibe the old 104 show had and adapt the style a bit to suit the rest of the country then RTÉ could be on to a winner...

Now if only they'd poach Phantom's day time music policy and dump Ryan over in Lyric FM, things would really be looking up...

[edit] BTW Ruth Scott for early evening slot? WTF? Graveyard shift is all that woman deserves...

Bard wrote:
    Rick O'Shea also used to be on FM104 but is now an important part of RTÉ's schedule. Granted they don't poach as much as other stations may, but they do it, and I must admit, they do it well.

Correct and right, squire, and the likes of Jenny Huston and John Power came over from Phantom's pirate days, but O'Shea was an established name in his own right, while the likes of the former mentioned were up-and-coming talent.

What I mean is, 2FM are more likely to get young-ish DJ's in who are little known outside of their own circles and nurture their talent, rather than open a cheque book, which clearly they have done with the Strawberries.

Not wanting to go off topic but Rick was not poached from FM104.

He was offered a pretty miserable package on 104 and he got himself a gig on 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Big Balls wrote:
    Not wanting to go off topic but Rick was not poached from FM104.

He was offered a pretty miserable package on 104 and he got himself a gig on 2FM.

If I remember ROS started on fm104 on The Funny Farm (7pm-10pm). Then he was moved into Drive-time (3-7) and also the Top 40 countdown on Sundays. And near the end of his career at Hume House, they moved ROS back to The Funny Farm. Obviously he was none too impressed with that move. He sort of made a joke out of it with Steve K at the time saying that he lost his 3-7 show to Steve over a game of cards!

On the Capital Radio/Chris tarrent point raised, Only recently BBC R1's Chris Moyles has overtaken Johnny Vaughan's Breakfast show in the ratings. Its the first time I remember a national station in the UK overtaking Capital at Breakfast. Moyles refers to the the above forementioned as "Johnny Yawn".

bbability wrote:
    On the Capital Radio/Chris tarrent point raised, Only recently BBC R1's Chris Moyles has overtaken Johnny Vaughan's Breakfast show in the ratings. Its the first time I remember a national station in the UK overtaking Capital at Breakfast. Moyles refers to the the above forementioned as "Johnny Yawn".

Indeed Moyles isn't the most listened to in London, but it goes to show when a stalwart breakfast DJ goes, it has a wide impact on the station as a whole. Capital has lost its #1 share over the past few years, Magic and Heart vying for supremacy there. I believe Vaughan has now lost #1 in London, to Jamie Theakston on Heart.

Vaughan has lost half the audience that he inherited from Tarrant. Puts Marty's figures into perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Adrian Kennedy's popular (among scumbags mostly, but also for entertainment value because the callers are so thick) but he won't be poached because the Phoneshow just wouldn't work outside Dublin.

Advertisement