Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax on a crashed car

Options
  • 12-01-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend has just written off her car (thankfully no major injuries) but one thing she just mentioned in passing was that she was extra vigilant this year and had just renewed her tax for a full year (obviously this is a tiny problem in the scale of other problems)

Is there any way to transfer this or get a refund? I'm presuming not.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Motor Tax can be refunded. This is from Donegal Co. Council's website and I would assume the same rules apply in other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

actually, yes, you can..........there's a form avail from the Motor Tax office, or most Garda station's........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

If it is a write off, never to see the road again. then maybe. I think there was a thread about this lately. I'm gone searching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Only if the car has been scrapped i.e by declaring this on your Vehicle Reg Cert and returning it to Shannon.

Motor tax cannot be transferred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You have to cut the chassis legs and be witnessed by the Gardai doing it. Then fill out the necessary forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,445 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@TheBazman: yes she can get a refund of motor tax because the car has been scrapped. The refund applies from the first day of the month the car has been scrapped. So if she has paid a full years motor tax from 01/01/2007 and the car was scrapped on 31/01/2007, she's entitled to a full refund

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

unkel wrote:
    @TheBazman: yes she can get a refund of motor tax because the car has been scrapped. The refund applies from the first day of the month the car has been scrapped. So if she has paid a full years motor tax from 01/01/2007 and the car was scrapped on 31/01/2007, she's entitled to a full refund

From the link I posted above:

"MPORTANT:Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered."

There has to be a destruction cert AFAIK. The car being 'written off' is not enough.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers folks - some useful info there - I'll pass it all on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

REFUNDS OF MOTOR TAX
    IMPORTANT:Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered.

Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120, in circumstances when,

The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the state,

The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,

Above from The COCO website.

How do you return the tax disc from a car that has been stolen and not recovered. Do you bring in the tax disc every night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

esel wrote: »

Dead link.
    Anyone know the correct one?
    Thanks
    M

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

kbannon wrote: »

Thanks for that.

Sorry I didn't want to start a new thread for a subject that's already been discussed.

I get flamed either way ;)

Advertisement