Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XII dated

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A comment on eurogamer says the PAL conversion is a pile of wankery. Looks like they have gone back to their old ways after the the decent conversion of KH2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

finally!

now wheres my ps2....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Article about the conversion here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Skiesonfire19

I cant WAIT!!!!

Skies

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't wait, it looks like being the first good FF game since IX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,885 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

same days as crackdown for the 360. Expensive day.

Fingers crossed this will eb better then FFX, which i did NOT like!

Haven't rad much about this to be honest, well, nothing really. What have the reviews been like - i did hear something about the battle system, and it being kinda poopy....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Can't wait, it looks like being the first good FF game since IX.
    Then you must've forgotten to play X ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

SofaKing wrote:
    Then you must've forgotten to play X ;)

And X-2.

I'm not sold on this game to be honest, I'll be waiting until I see it sticking out of the second hand bin or until I can find it online at a reasonable price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tauren wrote:
    same days as crackdown for the 360. Expensive day.

Fingers crossed this will eb better then FFX, which i did NOT like!

Haven't rad much about this to be honest, well, nothing really. What have the reviews been like - i did hear something about the battle system, and it being kinda poopy....

The reviews have all been very positive. I however am finding it a load of ****. The battle system is disgraceful, it forces you to level up too often and the towns are too big and boring. The story is good but you have to shovel through a lot of crap to get to the next bit.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The reviews have all been very positive. I however am finding it a load of ****. The battle system is disgraceful, it forces you to level up too often and the towns are too big and boring. The story is good but you have to shovel through a lot of crap to get to the next bit.

That sounds a bit wankery alright. I'd much rather have a game with good gameplay and an average story* instead of a game with a good story and gameplay that just a huge load of bollix. And XII seems to be leaning towards the latter.

*EG: X-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Average? Not even. Absolutely terrible.

FFXII is pretty good but theres too much messing about with leveling and general boring ****e that could have been left out.

I like the battling system, I guess, but if you set up the gambit system well enough you can just play with the directional keys. Then when ever an enemy appears in range, your players attack till he dies and they heal each other if they're low on health. Doesn't make for an exciting game.

The story is good but I still feel like I'm waiting for the game to start properly. It seems ages between each story arc aswell but maybe I'm just not playing often enough. Still I don't want to have to play through 3 sessions of grinding just so I can continue the story. I'm finding myself having to grind up about 3-4 levels before each boss and its getting annoying.

The battle system feels like Diablo or a poor mans KotOR. There's very little input from the player except during boss fights were you are constantly throwing pheonix downs and healing potions around because each boss has at least on stupidly powerful move that is capable of killing a character outright or completely messing up your whole party if you aren't levelling up (which is usually required before even having a chance of defeating them).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I have had the pal version for the last week. cant say im liking the battle system though. everywhere has said its amazing but I just dont get it. very frustrating have to constantly hit x all the time to open up your menu to select who to attack instead of just having your attack bar build up and you choose who to attack by just moving to the enemy you choose.

Looks amazing though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread features the most use of the word **** I have seen outside of PI. Keep it up.

For some reason Im very cautious about this game. Im a big fan of the series, but the likes of Okami and others seem to be more deserving of my money this February season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm not looking forward to this game. I feel that the FF series has gone completely downhill after 8.
    The battle system doesn't look enticing but I do like the idea of a good story. X and X-2 had stories that were ****(had to join in;) ). A good story is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Tis out tomorrow. So, who's getting it ?

Myself - I'm moving flats soon, so im gonna hold out for the moment (you would never have heard me say this about a new FF release in years gone by :) which sort've show how much the series has waned for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeah I'm holding out until I finish Dragonquest and find some money down a gutter. :) I've avoided reviews so I'm a bit wary of all the talk of grinding and the battle system but looking forward to gettings stuck into it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

where is my FFXII???where is my FFXII???

play.com told me that they sent it on 20th...:rolleyes: cant wait to get it!!:D

To anyone who has waited for the European release, prepare to be disappointed.

Too poor, I require money for pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Retr0gamer wrote:
    To anyone who has waited for the European release, prepare to be disappointed.
    For specific Euro-reasons? Or just cos it's pants?

Because it's pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Because it's pants.
    how is it pantss? seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i'm only about 5 hours in, but i'm getting used to the battle system. i can see why they did what they have done i.e. people got pissed off with random battles (a part of the game which i love.) Its almost like a free flowing rpg now like baldurs gate or such but without the button mashing.

also the graphics are savage, but the voice acting is cat. why are all the soldiers from the east end of london? bizzare.

its no vii or X but its ok sofar.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Not sure to buy this or God of War 2,last FF game I bought was FFX and to be honest while the graphics were good the voice overs were sh**e and the story wasnt much to write home about either.Had a look on youtube and saw the graphics for FFXII ,especially the espers and quickenings and thought they looked pretty badass.

I agree with an earlier post square really lost the mark after FF VIII imo,decisions ,decisions,to buy or not to buy that is the question :-(

They lost it after VI if I was to be consulted about matters, although they have belted out a few gems in the meantime, IX and X-2 to be specific.

I'll wait until this comes out on the cheap, if at all. I might just swipe it from my friends house next time I'm in the locale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

carter001 wrote:
    Not sure to buy this or God of War 2,last FF game I bought was FFX and to be honest while the graphics were good the voice overs were sh**e and the story wasnt much to write home about either.Had a look on youtube and saw the graphics for FFXII ,especially the espers and quickenings and thought they looked pretty badass.

I agree with an earlier post square really lost the mark after FF VIII imo,decisions ,decisions,to buy or not to buy that is the question :-(

You've got to be joking. I agree the voice overs in X were lame but as far as story goes, it probably has one of the best story lines around that you will find in any mmorpg. It had everything you could ask for in a good story.

I find it ironic that someone who liked ff8 where the story line was actually pants, critices ffx. I mean what was 8 about anyway? Out of nowhere this ultimecia villain turns up with no charecter to her. Maybe you don't like complex story lines that actually have some depth to them.

I'm going to be getting xii and looking forward to playing it soon.

After vii, X is probably the best FF game, at least as far as story line is concerned. People who say otherwise probably didn't get what was really going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Memnoch wrote:
    You've got to be joking. I agree the voice overs in X were lame but as far as story goes, it probably has one of the best story lines around that you will find in any mmorpg. It had everything you could ask for in a good story.

I find it ironic that someone who liked ff8 where the story line was actually pants, critices ffx. I mean what was 8 about anyway? Out of nowhere this ultimecia villain turns up with no charecter to her. Maybe you don't like complex story lines that actually have some depth to them.

I'm going to be getting xii and looking forward to playing it soon.

After vii, X is probably the best FF game, at least as far as story line is concerned. People who say otherwise probably didn't get what was really going on.

Sticks and stones,why attack my intelligence just because I like one game over the other?

Everyones entitled to their opinion,I didnt like FFX mainly due to the fact that tidus spent most of his time whining,then theres FFX's lack of a True World Map,barely any side quests,far too many cutscenes,but there were many positives to FFX as well.I mentioned nothing about the storyline of FFVIII ,there were many aspects of that game which I liked for its time period,the card game,seed rank,the fact that you had to accumulate items in order to upgrade weapons,the sub quests,the world map.

• Advertisement

Apart from the love story die of things, X did had a fairly solid story. Plenty of character development thrown in there to boot. I'd say the story is superior to VII, if for no other reason than it was told in a much better and clearer fashion.

Advertisement