Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prem weekend games

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Utd sub: Saha on for Park (65mins)

Chelsea 2-0 Robben

'Boro go 2-1 up against Charlton through Arca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fulham equalise 3-3

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Easy win for United, didn't expect much of a game, and that's what we got.
    Big weekend coming up, big decision for Fergie, do you drop Rooney? Larsson and Saha?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

he wont drop Rooney. Larsson will play id say with giggs on instead of Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Villa were awful in the first half, United barely got out of second gear. We seem to be less solid defensively than we have been all season, Villa got one and perhaps could have had one or two more.

I think Rooney should have been rested the past two games. He just looks burned out atm. Cant see him being dropped next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Gilberto sent off and rightfully but how the **** did Savage only get a yellow

I can't see how either of those are anything but yellow cards, very harsh I think

• Advertisement

Aresenal 1-0

Kolo Toure. great header. keeper could only watch

Arsenal 2-0

what a goal from Thierry Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

lovely goal. Curler from Henry. 2-0 to the Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

united were ok today, villa were awful.but a few things bugged me...

lately, i have noticed that united have stopped putting 2 men on the posts for corners, we got away with it today, but we could get caught sometime in the future. i dont know why they have changed things defensively, but we have started to concede a few more goals in recent times.

carrick and park were excellent in the first half, and scholes throughout, which is why i was puzzled when carrick and park were taken off. rooney was poor, but was unlucky not to score 2 times. larsson was good and forced 2 great saves from sorensen

and oh ya, the rte commentary was once again awful.

by the way, does anybody know what got goal of the month for december on MOTD/the premiership or has it been decided yet? scholes/taylor/drogba.

Have to say, Clichy and Hleb are playing brilliantly.

That was an excellent win today for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Blackburn 0-2 Arsenal

Arsenal deserved it without question. for 10 men they played brilliantly

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed. Fantastic performance by Arsenal. Very encouraging for the rest of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IMO The best performance of the season.

To play 90% of the game with a man down and to go on and dominate the game is really impressive. I think the full backs are gaining in confidence and rocisky played very well

Cesc as always was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

and oh ya, the rte commentary was once again awful.

by the way, does anybody know what got goal of the month for december on MOTD/the premiership or has it been decided yet? scholes/taylor/drogba.

Have to agree about the Dreadful RTE commentary.........

As for Goal of the month they just announced ot about 10 mins on MOTD and the winner is................Paul Scholes v Villa......cracker of a goal

Shearer was saying he didin't agree but the rest of the panel voted for it...lol Same old Shearer still can't win anything. (with the exception of 1 Lge medal)......:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Glad to see that Liverpool cruised to a 0-3 win but this was merely Watford and a very poor display by Watford standards at that. Also, it has to be said that Bouazza was very close to scoring when the game was still at 0-0. Needless to say the lack of pace by Hyypa was the main factor in that chance as Bouazza was his man and he lost him.

The 3-4-3 experiment should only be used in such easy games like Watford and I would think it would be a major and shocking mistake if Rafa would play the same formation against Chelsea next weekend. I hope he doesn't.

All the top teams won. Villa's comedy of defensive errors gave Man U easy chances at goals although they would have won anyway. Chelsea got an easy ride against Wigan who are staring relegation in the face possibly, and Arsenal did very well with 10 men against Blackburn. Gilberto should not have been sent off in my opinion, and I respect him very much as a clean and good team player. Henry and Van Persie helped out a bit more on defensive duties. Henry's goal was good, but could it have been stopped if the defenders adopted a better method, see the next paragraph:

Left Foot - Right Foot
    This topic perhaps deserve a thread of its own and someone mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Wayne Rooney is not on the boil perhaps at the moment. But one thing I have noticed since Larsson's arrival is that how good he is to be able to attempt shots with both feet. Rooney on the other hand seems to be very much right footed only, and when chances fall to him in the box or elseswhere on his left side, he invariably struggles to get anything half decent off as he tries to get his right on it. Looking around at other top players I see similar traits. Henry is mainly right-footed. Perhaps the top-class defenders exploit this to nulify his dangers. As a left winger for example, he is unlikely to get in a left footed cross from the byline an he should be shepherded with that in mind.

Overall, there seems to be little analysis about left footed and right footed performances from the players. No doubt the clubs have the details though. Clearly players with two good feet are more dangerous. Obviously, a player will have one foot that is stronger than the other. Sometimes a player can score from their weaker foot more by chance and effort than from a true connection. But many are better than others. Maradona was good with both feet. Puskas could score with either.

So thoughts: should top-class footballers be better with their weaker foots than most and should world class footballers not be able to strike the ball well with both feet? Are Waye Rooney, Henry, Gerrard and others incomplete in this important skill facet of the game? I haven't anaylsed the players closely but its food for thought.

Redspider

• Advertisement

Rooney is actually quite good with both feet, an example of a good two-footed player. He missed his chance because he scuffed it, not because he was using his left foot, but because he is lacking in confidence. Henry ain't too bad with his left foot either.

Some players are incredibly one footed, like incredibly, Van Persie springs to mind, but I don't think it's an issue if they are good enough. It's very rare that you'd notice Van Persie getting caught out and having to use his right foot, and normally this only happens when its a half chance.
    Either way, I'd take Van Persie's left foot over a player with two good feet any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Van Persie is another example, where defenders will try and force him out wide to stop him getting onto his favoured foot.

C. Ronaldo uses both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pattison wtf!!? I thought Emre and Parker were set to return today? They're not even on the bench!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Given is simply awesome.

But is beaten by an offside goal.

1-1. Some game.

I really don't know what Roeder sees in Pattison though. Expecting to see Parker and Emre today and then seeing that lineup at WHL of al places is like kick in the groin. I thought our problems were in defense, not midfield!

Steve Bennett doing usual clown routine for Newcastle games. Nicky Butt booked after getting slapped in the face by Chimbonda, Bennett completely loses control. Solano booked earlier and will now miss the Villa game, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

chimbonda should be sent off, slapping butt right in the face, linesman saw it he better not be on the field in the second half! berbatrov is a dirty **** aswell kicking given twice!!!! i actually thought given was guna kick the **** out of him, then a big fight in the tunnell!!! im loving it!!! COME ON TOON, LETS BEAT THOSE DIRTY SPUDS!!!!

TOON TOON COME ON ARMY!!!!

chimbonda should be sent off, slapping butt right in the face, linesman saw it
    The same linesman that missed two offsides for their goal. ESPN 'pundits' are also calling for Chimbonda to be sent off.

• Advertisement

Chimbonda booked "for aggressive behavior". I thought raising your hands i.e. slapping someone in the face = automatic sending off? It's not like the officials missed it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spurs 2 - 3 Newcastle and counting

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Great pair of goals.

Great game!

Ridiculous hit from Martins! I thought it was going over then almost fell out of my seat. This is like some kind of dream.

what a goal from martins and what a pass to set up Butt. fair play newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Get in there Martins!

One thing I wonder is how Jol is rated so highly?

He had a good squad at Spurs when he arrived and has spent plenty of money yet the team don't seem to show it at all.

They'll be lucky to get a UEFA Cup spot this year yet people are linking him with Chelsea. I think its ludicrous.

He had a good squad at Spurs when he arrived and has spent plenty of money yet the team don't seem to show it at all.

They'll be lucky to get a UEFA Cup spot this year yet people are linking him with Chelsea. I think its ludicrous.

Its cause he is building for the future. Spurs are gona put in a serious challenge for the top 4 dominance in the next 3-4 years, and their young squad is only gona get better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its cause he is building for the future. Spurs are gona put in a serious challenge for the top 4 dominance in the next 3-4 years, and their young squad is only gona get better.

This is Spurs we are talking about!!

yea but they have to hold onto their players. Wish they hadve held onto carrick tbh :p

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:

Yes, and how many teams has that been said about? Leeds springs to mind.

He should be getting some return from the amount of money he has spent by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

A very entertaining game, Spurs will be raging with that result, so much possession and so much dominance and they have lost.

I'd say getting 5th last year and being currently 7th in the table is not a bad return. Leeds weren't building for the future, they were being stupid. Jol has made some very astute buys, the fruits of which are only beginning to be seen by the prime example of Huddlestone. Give him time, they are gaining european experience, and will probably end up in UEFA again this year. They are still in the FA, League, and UEFA Cup, and some silverware this season is not out of the realms of possibility. Also, he's such nice guy, how can ya not like him.

Spurs will be raging with that result, so much possession
    According to Soccernet, Time of Possession Spurs 49% Newcastle 51%. First half was 47% 53% in Newcastle's favour.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=206957&cc=5739

They should be raging though when they look at our makeshift team and non-existent bench.

PHB wrote:
    I'd say getting 5th last year and being currently 7th in the table is not a bad return. Leeds weren't building for the future, they were being stupid. Jol has made some very astute buys, the fruits of which are only beginning to be seen by the prime example of Huddlestone. Give him time, they are gaining european experience, and will probably end up in UEFA again this year. They are still in the FA, League, and UEFA Cup, and some silverware this season is not out of the realms of possibility. Also, he's such nice guy, how can ya not like him.

I never said I didn't like him. I just think he's hugely overrated. For the squad he inherited and the money he has spent, he hasn't gotten a great return so far.

Many people talk about what a great manager he is and I just don't see it TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

What a performance from newcastle, the amount of injuries we have to our first team players, parker, emre, duff, nzogbia,moore, babayaro, carr, owen, 2-1 down and we turn it around and win! thats what you call character, never say die attitude thats something the glenn roeder has given us!

spurs first goal was offside, chimbonda should of been sent off. those things didnt go our way, but we kept at it and won!

WELL DONE TOON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

PHB wrote:
    Rooney is actually quite good with both feet, an example of a good two-footed player. He missed his chance because he scuffed it. Henry ain't too bad with his left foot either.

Some players are incredibly one footed, like incredibly, Van Persie springs to mind, but I don't think it's an issue if they are good enough.

I'll be watching Rooney and Ronaldo a bit closer. Below are some stats from the weekend.

I spotted in one game where Van Persie (who Wenger has positioned as the mirror opposote of Henry, ie: he plays on the right and has a left foot) where a defendr forced him to use his right and he was very easily snuffed out.

I think it is an issue when the players come up against world class defenders, which are far and few between. Even players with such pace as Van Persie and Henry dont need their other foot though as they can always manage to make room for their strong foot and even use their stronger foot at almost impossible angles. I just need to watch out for it a bit more.

> C. Ronaldo uses both feet.

I have seen him play on both wings but I didnt take enough notice to look at his footedness. Duffer and Robben when playing on the wings on either side would by and large use their strongest foot unless they had no option.

Bellamy
    76:00
    Shot by Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) right-footed from left channel (20 yards), missed right.

75:43
    Shot by Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) right-footed from right channel (20 yards), blocked by Jay DeMerit
    (Watford).

38:48
    Shot by Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) right-footed from centre of penalty area (18 yards), save
    (parried) by Ben Foster (Watford). Headed goal by Peter Crouch.

33:35
    Goal by Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) right-footed (low centre of goal) from centre of penalty area (6
    yards).

31:32
    Shot by Craig Bellamy (Liverpool) right-footed from right side of penalty area (18 yards), blocked
    by Jay DeMerit

Kuyt
    35:15
    Shot by Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool) right-footed from left channel (25 yards), over the bar.

Gerrard
    90:00 (1:32)
    Shot by Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) right-footed from left channel (30 yards), missed left.

65:28
    Shot by Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) left-footed from right side of penalty area (18 yards), save
    (caught) by Ben Foster (Watford).

Rooney
    90:00 (2:24)
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) drilled right-footed from left channel (25 yards), missed right.

89:58
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) right-footed from right channel (20 yards), over the bar.

73:16
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) right-footed from left channel (25 yards), hit bar.

62:02
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) right-footed from centre of penalty area (12 yards), save (blocked)
    by Thomas Sorensen (Aston Villa).

43:26
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) left-footed from centre of penalty area (18 yards), missed right.

16:32
    Shot by Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) right-footed from left channel (25 yards), missed right.

redspider

Even Ronaldo prefers to use his right foot, every player has a favoured foot.

Martins is the most two footed player I've seen since David Ginola. Ronaldo (of Madrid) is close. He can certainly generate just as much power with his left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

berbatrov is a dirty **** aswell kicking given twice!!!!

Watch your langauge you drama queen, he raised his leg to block Given's kick outs. I wouldn't call either a kick.
    LETS BEAT THOSE DIRTY SPUDS!!!!

Card count? Spurs 1 Newcastle 4.
    kinaldo wrote:
    The same linesman that missed two offsides for their goal.

Two? Defoe was fractionally off, who was the other?

Credit where its due, Newcastle weathered a couple of periods of Spurs dominance to deservedly win the game, I sit down the Park Lane end and had the (dis)pleasure of witnessing Martin's goal. Thought the game was a tale of two keepers, if Newcastle had Robbo in goals Spurs would have been 4-0 up after 10 minutes.

Chimbonda was very lucky to stay on the pitch, all told it was a great game of football though.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Get in there Martins!

Given up on supporting Blackburn? Surprising you didn't have anything to say about their 2-0 defeat to ten men on Saturday.

Given up on supporting Blackburn? Surprising you didn't have anything to say about their 2-0 defeat to ten men on Saturday.

Lighten up will ya. I was simply acknowledging what was a tremendous goal.

Yes, Blackburn lost 2-0 to ten men on Saturday. Did you see Henry's goal? I'm sure you thought it was a bit of brilliance too.

The 2-0 defeat - I didn't comment because I didn't want to, but you don't see me on here complaining to people who say how great Henry's goal was.

Blackburn lost 2-0 to Arsenal. Arsenal are a damn good side and, as much as I support Blackburn, I knew them coming from the game with anything was a long shot with the form Arsenal are in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement